1. 1. Who's our best ever LB?

• Hammell
    • Wark
    • McMillan
    • Nijholt
    • McKinnon
    • Boyd
    • Other (please mention)

Was having a chat with a fellow 'Well fan the other day and we got talking about Hammell and what an amazing acheivment it is to have played 400games for the 'Well, especially in this day and age and how it was signs of a proper club legend.

Anyway, the chat evolved to the fact Motherwell through the years always seem to have had a great Left Back. Although I was too young to see Joe Wark play there, I've still seen many great LB's in my time. This brought up the whole "who's the best ever" debate. And neither of us could quite decide if Hammell was the best ever, seeing as we hadn't seen Wark play and he was probably the biggest rival to the crown. Both superb full backs that never got the international caps they maybe deserved (another topic we discussed that I've posted on a seperate thread)

Personally I always loved Rab McKinnon and thought he was superb. I'd take him maybe just ahead of Hammell, but its a tough one. My mate argued a case for Steve McMillan, saying he was better than Hammell. Then there's Nijholt, Boyd, Stevens, Patterson and many more.

So thought I'd fire it up here to get a general thoughts. The poll has only included the ones I've seen in my time play in that position (and Joe Wark) so if I've missed someone be sure to mention them

Always a tough call to compare players, even in the same position. But I'd say as well as having the qualities you need in a full back, Rab McKinnon was probably the most exciting to watch (in my time as a 'Well fan) out of that lot, and was even know to score some decent goals, so I've gone for him. Tom Boyd a very close second though... a bit classier, and his partnership down the left wing with Coop was something special. I'm also just a wee bit too young to really remember Joe Wark properly, but I'm sure he'd be right up there if I did.

It would be Wark for me mate

I'm at the disadvantage of never having seen him play so unfair for me to go for him based on "what I've heard." But expect him to be right at the top of the list. There is a case for all of the ones I've mentioned in the poll, all without doubt terrific players for us, just a case of picking the best of a great bunch from what you have seen,

Hammell is a great left back and this season I think he is consistently doing the business, Nicky Law has helped him.

Rab McKinnon was a different type of player but was solid.

Tom Boyd was an average player until we signed Davie Cooper.

I have never seen such a transformation in a player in Tom Boyd.

He used to bomb down the wing to support Davie Cooper as did Phil, I believe Davie made both of them better players.

Luc Nijholt was a right back was he not? He was, however, one of the most talented players I have ever seen.

The question is though, "Hammell, is he the best ever?

For you youngsters, yes, but for us guys of a certain age there is only one defender who was absolutely brilliant in just about

every game that I went to, (pretty much every game in the 70's).and that was JOE WARK, my absolute hero. :notworthy: :notworthy:

I honestly never, ever, saw him having a bad game.

• Like 1

Did Joe Wark no' score a hat trick playing left wing?

and he knows my father.

I was at the game....Fir park against Montrose I believe. We were getitng beat 1 - 0 with about 15 mins left i think and they threw Joe up front where he scored a Hat trick and we won 4 - 1. Also seen him play in goals too. Not sure but I thnk he may ahve ended up golaie during his debut game?

other name i have seen NOT mentioned is Bobby McCallum. He was left back when Matt Thonpson was right back and Willie McCallum also played. Bobby had a face like he had been dookin for beans, smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish but still put in a decent shift every week. he could fair smack a ball from the PK spot too.

Polls flawed if folk that huvnae seen Joe Wark are going tae vote for them that came later.

Agree with you there MJ. Of the above I've only seen Hammell and Studs so I couldn't really comment.

Still canny believe Franz Resch never got a menshy but!

Wasn't Tom Boyd a sweeper i dont remember him being left back.

He started off as a sweeper, and did a great job in that position as he could really read the game. However, he moved to LB later in his 'Well career (and gained about 2 yards in speed when he did).

Hammell has been our LB for something like ten of the last twelve years, and is on pace to surpass Joe wark's games played total. Both have played in great and dreadful motherwell teams, so I could see why hammell may be regarded as "this generations wark." I kind of have a problem with the fact that corrigan has had more comparisons to wark than hammell and seems to be held in higher esteem.

Also, the "best ever" and the "best you've seen" can be two different stories.

For you youngsters, yes, but for us guys of a certain age there is only one defender who was absolutely brilliant in just about

every game that I went to, (pretty much every game in the 70's).and that was JOE WARK, my absolute hero. :notworthy: :notworthy:

I honestly never, ever, saw him having a bad game.

Take it you have erased the 0-7 game at Fir Park from your memory, when a young Charlie Nick tore him to sheds?

He still got my vote by a country mile though.

He is a TRUE Motherwell legend :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: