1. 1. Who's our best ever LB?

• Hammell
    • Wark
    • McMillan
    • Nijholt
    • McKinnon
    • Boyd
    • Other (please mention)

Tom Boyd was most definitely a left back and Nijholt a right back although they may have had spells at sweeper when Tommy was in one of his more defensive moods.

I saw Wark play but I'm not old enough to remember much about his performances so it does skew the poll towards more recent players. I'd have to go for Boyd for his steady defending and the rampaging runs after Cooper's arrival. Also, his sliding tackle on Dave McCabe at Cappielow!

I like Hammell but I'd also rate McKinnon above him.

A bit surprised McMillan isn't getting more of a mention. A cracking player who was getting better and better before he went to Wigan and then had to retire because of injury. If Lee McCulloch (who went with him) became a Premiership player then Studs would certainly have made it.

I had same argument about Nijholt - that he was a right back. But mate was adament that he played games at LB, so thats why I listed him. Wasn't convinced though.

Think the pattern emerging here is if you saw Jow Wark play, he's the best. If not, you tend to go for McKinnon. Whoever you've opted for, I think we can all agree that we have had some oustanding LB's through the years. As the previous poster says, the fact McMillan isn't getting mentioned despite being superb for us (and for Wigan before his injury) just shows the level of competiton. For me personally, it's McKinnon then Hammel from those I've seen play. McMillan and Boyd both great, but natural ability and consistency made me go for McKinnon and Hammell.

But safe to say, for the vast majority.....no, hammell isn't the best we've ever had.

Wark, never saw him but it a legend.

Hammell is good but for me unfulfilled potential, in middle of a good period just now and quite happy to have him but ultimately just solid reliable and not a stand out barring early promise and eventual longevity.

Nijholt, did he ever play a game at left back? Superb on other side and contender for that award.

McMillan, was not a great left back. Decent player in search of a natural position but was barley ahead of ian ross in fullback stakes.

Boyd, real contender and phenominal alongside Cooper.

For me the winner is McKinnon, he was like Boyd and Cooper rolled into one at times. Absolutely by a distance best in my time.

Bobby McCallum for me.

Welll. Him and his girlfriend did babysit me and my wee sister,(back in the late 'fifties) was a nice guy.

"Uncle" Ben Ellis used to pop down to see my mother and father and the Team Bus and players always stopped at my Grannie's in the Bellshill road to see how she was doing.

Joe Wark is a legend though. :notworthy:

Motherwell has a tradition of great left backs who played for the club for years. Baldy Shaw (before my time) played right throught the fifties. Then Bobby McCallum who others have mentioned. I saw him play and he was outstanding. But as someone else mentioned liked a drink too much and did not achieve his considerable potential. Then there was Joe wark in the late sixties and through the seventies. After them there has been Boyd, McKinnon, McMillan and Hammell, all great players. However to be the best ever you must have played for years and so on this forum there can be no other than Joe Wark as very few posters will remember Baldy Shaw who became groundsman for many years after he stopped playing.

Nijholt may have filled in at left back but it wasn't the position he was principally known for. I'm fairly perplexed by him having the same amount of votes as Boyd when he was right back to Boyd's left back. Boyd also became a regular international during his time with us. I'm not saying Boyd should be winning the poll but I can't understand how he's level in a poll about left backs with someone who was not even a left back.

To be honest, we've not been nearly as well served by our right backs so I'm sure Luc would win a poll for them.

Nijholt may have filled in at left back but it wasn't the position he was principally known for. I'm fairly perplexed by him having the same amount of votes as Boyd when he was right back to Boyd's left back. Boyd also became a regular international during his time with us. I'm not saying Boyd should be winning the poll but I can't understand how he's level in a poll about left backs with someone who was not even a left back.

To be honest, we've not been nearly as well served by our right backs so I'm sure Luc would win a poll for them.

A vote for Nijholt is downright moronic. We all have opinions but as has been made quite clear he wasn't a left back so certainly not our best EVER! I can only assume it it is people with a man love greater than even Keith Lasley generates. That said stick Lasley in this poll and I reckon he might pick up some votes as well. :)

Not of the Joe Wark era myself so can't comment, however would rate Rab McKinnon just ahead of Hammell, albeit I've probably seen more of wee Stevie than any other MFC left back in my time, since I moved back to Scotland and renewed my season ten years back. Stevie is great for reliability, consistency and will undoubtedly be rated a 'Well legend when he calls it a day, however for sheer entertainment, quality, gallus-ness and a top mauser, Rab's yer boy. Always remember his debut in (I think) was a 3-3 draw with Aberdeen at home in a p*ssing down night game, he'd just signed from Hartlepool, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing in terms of driving into the opposition box, skinning players and setting up chance after chance. Other great McKinnon memories including him 'megging wee Joe Miller on several occaisions (surely the winger should be doing that to the full back?) and scoring a belter in a 3-2 win at Swinecastle in the mid 90s. I was behind the goal and living in Edinburgh at the time so good on soooo many levels, have never enjoyed an Edinburgh bus ride (wasny wearing colours so enjoyed listening to the moaning Jambos) so much. Aye, McKinnon (in my era) is the tap boy.

Take it you have erased the 0-7 game at Fir Park from your memory, when a young Charlie Nick tore him to sheds?

He still got my vote by a country mile though.

He is a TRUE Motherwell legend :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Sorry, can't remember that game....:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Joe Wark by mile for me. Tough but fair. I never remember him being sent off and very few bookings either. I think he played for the Scottish League select but never a full cap. One of lifes gentlemen.

I am sure he was capped for the Scottish League v English League and was typically brilliant.

He was only kept out of the Scotland team by the celtic right back Danny McGrain being played at left back as rangers' Sandy Jardine was right back, (and that is not cellic-esque paranoia, that is true).

Don't even mention Willie Donnachie!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I think he was only booked once or twice throughout his career and one of them was when jock wallace played him as a sweeper.

After the CIS Final in 2005 we got back to the Fir Park Club after the game, pissed off, depressed and dejected.

As we were going in, who was standing at the door, none other than my all time hero, Joe Wark, I asked him to come in for a drink, he said he was going somewhere but he would come in for one.

An hour later and after listening to me going on about how good he was, (how much I loved him and much more drunken man love sentiments). He made his apologies and left.

He is a gentleman and a true Motherwell Legend. :notworthy:

P.S. Hammy is getting there if he keeps playing the way he does.:thumbup:

Can I join your club???? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You already have my son!

Given our current dearth of talent at international level its unbelievable he wasnt capped but when you play in the same era as Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine........guess Joe must know how Andy Murray feels!

I don't get to say this phrase very often these days but I'm 'too young' to remember Joe Wark.

Obviously Boyd played at left back but I seem to remember him popping up all over the place and being a bit of a utility player. Some times full back, some times defence, some times midfield, both wide and middle. He's not someone I remember as being a left back in the same way as Stevie Hammell is a left back or Rob McKinnon was.

McKinnon has been the best in my time. I don't think anyone has mentioned it but on my first trip up to Aberdeen Rab scored a pearler of a free kick, think Alex Burns scored the other goal if I remember correctly.

• 1 year later...