1. 1. Who's our best ever LB?

• Hammell
    • Wark
    • McMillan
    • Nijholt
    • McKinnon
    • Boyd
    • Other (please mention)

Delighted for him but wasn't the whole point of now we are out was to use the last few qualifiers to prepare for the next tournament? Unfortunately Hammell isn't going to be in the next tournament qualifiers so don't really see the point in selecting him for this. But again delighted for him & hope he actually gets on the park and not just the bench.

great news!

as for him not being in the next qualifiers.. it doesn't matter, these games still matter in the form of if we keep losing them we'll slip further and further down the rankings and I'm sure that makes things even harder for us so really we need to put out as strong a team as possible and try to get something in the remaining games

As a Motherwell fan and long-time admirer of Hammell, I'm delighted. But as a (sort of) Scotland fan, it baffles me a bit. Given that we can't qualify for Brazil, I would think/hope that the remit is to build a team for the next campaign. I don't think that even Strachan believes Hammell is going to be involved then, so I don't really see the point in calling him up now. If there's a space it would be better given to a young boy to give him some experience of being in and around the squad. Having said that, we've all complained in the past when 'Well players have been overlooked in the past so I certainly won't complain now. Given the level of consistency he's shown over the years it's hard to grudge him a cap or two.

But as a (sort of) Scotland fan, it baffles me a bit. Given that we can't qualify for Brazil, I would think/hope that the remit is to build a team for the next campaign. I don't think that even Strachan believes Hammell is going to be involved then, so I don't really see the point in calling him up now.

we still need to win - we might not be able to qualify, but the game is still very important, losing more games is going to ruin our co-efficient even more

Its either him or Lee Wallace. And frankly Lee Wallace is a c**t.

And also injured, which is why Hammy got called up in the first place :whistling:

Obviously he's not going to become a regular, but as a last-minute replacement he makes a lot of sense. Aside from being a natural leftie, McGhee and McCall both know him and his strengths and weaknesses well.

I think it's also helped Stevie's favour that he's been doing his coaching badges this week at Largs so won't have hit the beer/beach/burgers as some other candidates might already have.

I'd say there have been times in his career where he has been fully deserving of a further cap or two but for whatever reason hasn't happened. So whilst a few things might have fallen neatly into place to get him in with a shout this time over the piece he's been due more than those 15 minutes or whatever it was against Sweden.

Good luck Stevie!!

Still stunned Stephen McMillan was in a poll for greatest ever left back... :blink:

Gutted Derek "Ruby" Murray didn't make the cut. Was always impressed with his ability to consistently stand off his man just far enough that he looked like he was marking him, but too far away to actually tackle him.

Good luck to Stevie. Hope he get's a game and Scotland avoid getting pumped. Can't see him breaking into the first choice XI at this relatively late stage of his career but he can only put in a good performance and see. It isn't like we have a single true stand out left back in any case but hope he enjoys what is likely to be something of a one off.

Thing is, in the absence of Wallace and Mulgrew, you could say give a young left back a chance for Scotland but who is there? I couldn't tell you who plays there for the U21s.

McHattie at Hearts and Douglas at Utd (now Poznan) are the two names that you could throw in there. But if Scotland want to avoid the loss of confidence a hammering would bring then a steady old head isn't the worst idea in the world...