1. 1. Who's our best ever LB?

• Hammell
    • Wark
    • McMillan
    • Nijholt
    • McKinnon
    • Boyd
    • Other (please mention)

Luc Nijholt was a right back was he not? He was, however, one of the most talented players I have ever seen.

Nijholt played both positions. In my all time XI I have him in the right back slot because we've not had too many good right backs while we are spoilt for choice at left back.

At left back it's a very difficult choice between Tom Boyd and Rob McKinnon and I tend to lean towards the latter.

Hammell is a club legend though, it's quite possible no one will ever play more games for Motherwell again.

Thing is, in the absence of Wallace and Mulgrew, you could say give a young left back a chance for Scotland but who is there? I couldn't tell you who plays there for the U21s.

McHattie at Hearts and Douglas at Utd (now Poznan) are the two names that you could throw in there. But if Scotland want to avoid the loss of confidence a hammering would bring then a steady old head isn't the worst idea in the world...

Graham Shinnie would probably be ahead of the two you mention.

Absolutely delighted for Stevie Hammell but this is ten years too late. Place should have gone to a younger player. It hasnt though, so hope he plays and does himself and Motherwell proud.

As for the greatest, there can be only one.......

Worst left back?

Franz Resch? Jered Stirling? Shaun McSkimming? 5foot2 David Murphy?

Shaun McSkimming wasn't a bad player at all, he just wasn't worth the price tag McLeish put round his neck.

Didn't Jered Stirling score an absolute peach of a free kick and then only play about 4 more games?

Franz Resch was an Austrian international so he couldn't have been that bad although he didn't turn any heads at Fir Park.

That leaves David Murphy who was, well I'm being kind here, crap.

Shaun McSkimming wasn't a bad player at all, he just wasn't worth the price tag McLeish put round his neck.

Didn't Jered Stirling score an absolute peach of a free kick and then only play about 4 more games?

Franz Resch was an Austrian international so he couldn't have been that bad although he didn't turn any heads at Fir Park.

That leaves David Murphy who was, well I'm being kind here, crap.

first game of the season against thistle was stirlings goal

Stirling and McSkimming were midfielders who were asked to fill in at left back so it's a bit harsh to judge them there. We've been very fortunate to have had a string of very good left backs who have made the position their own with a few periods of making do in between them.

For some reason I thought Resch played on the right. Who was the other guy we signed at the same time?

Delameaux was more of a sweeper - don't remember him playing left back. Great player but his best position didn't really suit the team's shape.

Many congratulations to Stevie. A second cap is long overdue as Scotland have been guilty of making do and playing players out of position at times rather than getting in an experienced left back.

Stirling and McSkimming were midfielders who were asked to fill in at left back so it's a bit harsh to judge them there. We've been very fortunate to have had a string of very good left backs who have made the position their own with a few periods of making do in between them.

For some reason I thought Resch played on the right. Who was the other guy we signed at the same time?

Delameaux was more of a sweeper - don't remember him playing left back. Great player but his best position didn't really suit the team's shape.

Many congratulations to Stevie. A second cap is long overdue as Scotland have been guilty of making do and playing players out of position at times rather than getting in an experienced left back.

Mario Doerner

As my faither knew Joe Wark I was going to vote for him but for me it has to be Tom Boyd, absolute class. Still remember the '91 quarter final against Morton where he chased back made the slide tackle kept the ball in play to stop it going for a corner but the linesman gave a goal kick. Fantastic player and had great chemistry with one of Motherwell's best ever players Davie Cooper.

:notworthy: