1. 1. Who's our best ever LB?

• Hammell
    • Wark
    • McMillan
    • Nijholt
    • McKinnon
    • Boyd
    • Other (please mention)

Boyd was definitely a class act. Started off life in a sweeper type role as I recall and had a gift for reading the game. Switching to left back seemed to sharpen him up and he picked up a yard or two of pace.

Joe Wark still pips him though - never shirked a tackle, his timing was immaculate and the coolest head on the park at all times. His curled left foot passes up the wing were always on target and he had a good line in keepie-uppie to entertain the crowd during game stoppages.

Boyd was definitely a class act. Started off life in a sweeper type role as I recall and had a gift for reading the game. Switching to left back seemed to sharpen him up and he picked up a yard or two of pace.

Joe Wark still pips him though - never shirked a tackle, his timing was immaculate and the coolest head on the park at all times. His curled left foot passes up the wing were always on target and he had a good line in keepie-uppie to entertain the crowd during game stoppages.

Add to that I also seen him pull on the goalie jersey during one game and score a hat trick in another. I think the hat trick was against Montrose at Fir Park. The goalie may have been his debut game??

Don't think there was an awful lot between Boyd and Wark. Very similar in ability to read the game (from a very young age with Boyd). Joe wark though, as well as being an excellent footballer with shit loads of ability, was also a Motherwell man for his whole career, which will automatically put him in that 'special' bracket. I don't think in my entire life, I ever saw or heard the phrase 'Joe Wark has been offered another contract at Motherwell and will weigh up his options before making a decision'. You just always knew that Joe Wark would be there.

Don't think there was an awful lot between Boyd and Wark. Very similar in ability to read the game (from a very young age with Boyd). Joe wark though, as well as being an excellent footballer with shit loads of ability, was also a Motherwell man for his whole career, which will automatically put him in that 'special' bracket. I don't think in my entire life, I ever saw or heard the phrase 'Joe Wark has been offered another contract at Motherwell and will weigh up his options before making a decision'. You just always knew that Joe Wark would be there.

In John Swinburne's view the top 3 would be Ben Ellis, Archie Shaw and Joe Wark who collectively played for us for about 42 years. Of that trio, Ben Ellis is reckoned to be the best. I wouldn't argue with that.

Whilst Joe Wark's contribution to the club is without a doubt brilliant in the era he played, Hammell is in my opinion

catching up quickly. His main attribute is his ball control and ability to hold it and find a team mate. He is often used as the "out" for our defence when under pressure.

Tom Boyd going to Celtic is a bit annoying but on its own doesn't deserve him to be chastised. However, he turned up at Fir Park for the 10th anniversary game with a Celtic jacket on, and then what he said to Tam Cowan while receiving the honour of being voted our best ever captain ended any goodwill I had for him.

Petty? Yep. Bitter? Absolutely.

• Like 1

What did boyd say to tam cowan?

Nothing too headline worthy but when he was asked about what he'd won in his career since he left Motherwell he said "A lot more than youse anyway." which does seem petty but in front of an audience of 'Well fans who had voted for him I found it disrespectful. It's very important to me how former / departing players speak about our club.

Nothing too headline worthy but when he was asked about what he'd won in his career since he left Motherwell he said "A lot more than youse anyway." which does seem petty but in front of an audience of 'Well fans who had voted for him I found it disrespectful. It's very important to me how former / departing players speak about our club.

Presumably Tam had been a paragon of virtue and not had a dig at him or any of the other players that night.

Stupid from Boyd? Aye, but it doesn't make his contribution any less.

Tam Cowan actually paid Boyd a bit of a back handed compliment by saying "So what did you do after you left Motherwell?" , as Boyd obviously had a pretty successful career. It was an evening of celebration and jest after all.

Boyd then showed his true colours.

I sat behind Boyd at the 2011 cup final, he showed a total disrespect for us, jumping up and down and laughing as if he couldn't care less about us, I lost all respect for him at that moment, I understand he supports Celtic but the fact he was the last captain to lift the trophy for us I expected him to behave in a more professional manner, maybe I'm petty.

I think he forgets that influence Motherwell had on him and set him on his way

I view Joe Wark and Rab McKinnon as ex well players.

Tom Boyd as an ex Celtic player and a bit of a c**t

(But not as much of a c**t as Chris McCart - he's an uber c**t)

What did "Christmas Cart"(as I once heard him named by a tongue-tied reporter...) do wrong?

• 1 month later...