1. 1. Who's our best ever LB?

• Hammell
    • Wark
    • McMillan
    • Nijholt
    • McKinnon
    • Boyd
    • Other (please mention)

Boyd's behaviour at the 2011 cup final sickened me. We developed him into the player that went to Chelsea and Celtic and he showed a disgusting lack of respect to the fans.

For our young fans who were at the game it was a horrific example of narrow minded, bigoted individual who should have known a lot better.

Sorry but its got to be Joe Wark. Not many players are with a club long enough to amass two testimonials. But above all a talented player who deserved International recognition but never got it

All because the Scotland managers at the time would rather play mould firm players out of position, things never change. as you say,Joe Wark by a long way best I've seen also.

Boyd's behaviour at the 2011 cup final sickened me. We developed him into the player that went to Chelsea and Celtic and he showed a disgusting lack of respect to the fans.

For our young fans who were at the game it was a horrific example of narrow minded, bigoted individual who should have known a lot better.

I know Tom quite well and I've always looked up to him because of 1991 and his Scotland career. So I was understandably very disappointed that he did not show any affiliation to Motherwell that day and I think it would have been better had there been Stevie Kirk, him and another Shellic player. However, he's an employee of them and that's why he was chosen, just like Stevie is an employee of us. He could have said no and I think he should have known better because he's actually quite a switched on guy. I offered him my well scarf when he walked past us and he said he couldn't take it because he was employed by Celtic. He still holds the club in high regard because of all that they've done for him and has been back to a number of functions and charity games. He understandably keeps a distance to a certain degree because of the resentment that sections of our support have towards him.

As for being bigoted? I take great offence to that and to be banding about terms like that about someone you don't even know would suggest to me that you are the narrow minded one. Yes he's a massive Celtic fan and they will always come first for him which I resent completely, but never a bigot in a million years.

As for Stevie Hammell, it's been an absolute pleasure to watch him play for so long. He's been a favourite of mine since he scored that goal against Dundee United over a decade ago. I think having long standing players who know what the club is about is a major part of our success in recent years. Himself and Lasley are worth their weight in gold to our club. He should have had 20+ caps when you consider those that have played infront of him IMHO

According to the tabloids this morning it seems Hammell is going to keep his place in the Scotland squad for the match against England!

He is a good SPL player but not international class.

But you wouldn't be knocking him down for taking the opportunity to develop as a player, by at least striving to be better and continue to maintain or improve his capability.

If there are not a couple of eligible players that are notably better than him, that makes him international class

• Like 1

But you wouldn't be knocking him down for taking the opportunity to develop as a player, by at least striving to be better and continue to maintain or improve his capability.

If there are not a couple of eligible players that are notably better than him, that makes him international class

Don't think I was knocking him down as you say. He is just not good enough for international football.

Don't think I was knocking him down as you say. He is just not good enough for international football.

would you not agree, if there are not a couple of eligible players better than him, then that makes him international class and deserving of any call up?

maybe not in the sense of playing for Spain or Brazil, but fact is he is Scottish, he is a solid performer, with years of experience and there are not many, if any, so called better players available

as a Scotland fan I'd be happy if we had world class superstars fighting for places in the squad and as such Stevie missed out, but the fact is, international class, for Scotland, is well within Hammells scope

I agree with Mitch Hammell is a good player but shouldn't be near Scotland team.

That said we've had a few full backs like Danny Fox in his time who shouldn't have been either so he definitely been unlucky not to at least have picked up a few caps.

Rab McKinnon should have had more as well but I mind watching him on one of his appearances and I remember thinking he didn't do himself justice but should have had a couple more at least to prove himself.

For a country like Scotland, as has been pointed out, you have a load of players who are much of a muchness. Thing is, if you simply pick on form then you run the risk of lack of continuity. So often when someone gets "possession of the jersey", they keep it even if others are in better form. So there may have been occasions in the past where Hammell has been the form left back but others have kept their place as the national team manager sticks with people he knows and has worked with before...

For a country like Scotland, as has been pointed out, you have a load of players who are much of a muchness. Thing is, if you simply pick on form then you run the risk of lack of continuity. So often when someone gets "possession of the jersey", they keep it even if others are in better form. So there may have been occasions in the past where Hammell has been the form left back but others have kept their place as the national team manager sticks with people he knows and has worked with before...

Like Andy Webster?

I have always thought that International caps can improve a certain type of player and I believe that if Hammell had been in more squads it would have boosted his confidence and lifted his game. If you get into a few squads you'd work harder at your game to try to get into the team. Hammell's a far better player than Danny Fox and for him to be overlooked while Fox gets plucked from obscurity just because he signs for Celtic is disgraceful.

When Joe Wark was the best left back in Scotland he was kept out of the Scotland team by one of the best right backs in the World, Danny McGrain, who was capped at left back to accommodate Sandy Jardine at right bank.

I voted Wark, because I am old enough to have seen both of them at their peak. I like Hammell, I think he's a better player than he gets credit for and well worth a cap or two, but he ain't Joe.

• Like 1