Carswell V Forbes

weesacs

as it says on the tin!

so with Shug signing, he'll at least be on the bench - so who loses out? for me its between the two mentioned - I've always tried to defend Forbes, as I do believe he is one of the most technnically gifted players at the club BUT he has no engine and wants too many touches on the ball. I think Inverness away was the last straw for me. Carswell has impressed any time he has played, but yet still young and we know how those young ones go if theres too much pressure.

If I was Forbes - I would be looking for a new team in January. Surely he wants to play every week? And surely he must think he's good enough for a Falkirk, Thistle, County, Accies, Dundee?

Thoughts?

I don't think McCall rates Forbes at all going by his team selections and substitute choices. I think we can assume Carswell is probably now ahead of Forbes in the queue as far as the first team goes and I'd be surprised if that isn't the case when it comes to Saturday's line up (if Law is injured and Hughes isn't yet match fit).

Yeah, I think Carswell is ahead of Forbes now. Never a good sign when up at Inverness, Forbes had to come on as a sub to cover in the centre after the back four was reorganised but was later substituted himself.

Very talented but quite slow and I think that is why McCall doesn't fancy him. Like Fitzy, Forbes might need to move on for the sake of his own career.

Let's not forget Hughes has only signed for a grand total of six weeks at this point. Personally I'd be slightly surprised if he's still here after that, so if I was those other guys I wouldn't be too concerned just at the moment. With a bit of luck, Hughes might teach Forbes a thing or two before leaving us again in January -- win win :)

i dont think Carswell should be too concerned - he still plays with the U19s. But Forbes doesnt appear to be pushing into the squad, and I have to admit, by this time(22 going on 23) - I thought he would have had more games under his belt. As above - for the sake of his own career, I think he may move. Yes, Hughes is only here for 6 weeks - but for that period, one of them is going to have to drop out the squad altogether

I would love to be proved wrong and for him to score a screamer at Sheepyville on sat (he does have it in him)

Let's not forget Hughes has only signed for a grand total of six weeks at this point. Personally I'd be slightly surprised if he's still here after that, so if I was those other guys I wouldn't be too concerned just at the moment. With a bit of luck, Hughes might teach Forbes a thing or two before leaving us again in January -- win win :)

why?

I'd put money on Forbes, Carswell & Hughes all being on the bench Saturday.

If Law is fit and everyother midfielder is fit that played against Celtic - I hope so.

As for Hughes staying beyond the 3 January - the wee article in the Metro today made it sound more like we offered him the short-term deal to prove to us he was worthy of a full contract - so unless he does shit or does better than even he could dream off I'd expect him to stay till the summer at least..

if law is out then i think we'll start humph - las - jenno - daley.

i'm not sure if i'm excited or feart of the two kamikaze wingers being on the pitch at the same time.

was talking to my dad about this after the celtic game.

the problem is they are both exactly the same player, so subbing like for like makes no real change.

Every defence in the spl would shite their pants comming up against a winger on each side that are that fast.

the biggest problem we have is nobody can keep up with them, so their cross is wasted cos theres nobody there,

but if we have one on either side then theres somone who can keep up and can meet the ball coming across.

why?

I dunno, just seems like he'd cost us more in wages than we really ought to paying out when we have so many other options in midfield right now, and I can imagine a bigger club coming in for him once he's fully fit. But of course, if others decide to leave in January, it could be a different story.

That would suggest Forbes has been unable to learn from Jennings and Lasley (and Law) and whilst different players I'm not convinced Hughes is head and shoulders above our current CM. Forbes is a gifted footballer but the SPL appears to be WAY to fast for him. He is only going to get slower so I think he could struggle to advance in his career. Again, I'd love him to prove me wrong.

Yeah, I think Carswell is ahead of Forbes now. Never a good sign when up at Inverness, Forbes had to come on as a sub to cover in the centre after the back four was reorganised but was later substituted himself.

Nothing to do with the kid being on a caution and being combatitive as the team were in that late spell? Good management and not a reflection on how you percieved his performance as poor?

Hell, I feel he could have proved that telling pass required when Kilmarnock set-up to cancel us out (that's right, not fooled by what's peddled in the media 'this forward style' of them and St Midden is a work of fallacy) in both games and perhaps against Celtic.

If only you could combine the 2 to make a right decent player. Forbes vision and distrubution with Carswells energy and workrate.

But for me, I think Forbes will miss out because for me Carswell is more similar to Lasley and Jenno than Forbes, and Hughes is like Forbes. Diffrent types of players.

As for who is better? To early to tell. Carswell is showing promise, but so did Fitzpatrick and Fagan when they first burst on the scene. Forbes has been slightly better of late, but still needs to get his finger out! To early to judge, this season should decide.

Forbes would be brilliant if it weren't from the stick he gets whenever he touches the ball. The only time I've seen someone praise him is when he scored that belter up at St Johnstone, and I've seen him play some fine football.....

Carswell has played decently when I've seen him play but I imagine the player dropping off the bench will be neither.

Gary Smith would be the first one to go IMO. Good player, but doesn't seem to be ready to compete for a spot on the team. Forbes is a reliable player to have in a different type of game. ( V Hibs in the cup for example; Pens, Late balls into the box etc...) Cant imagine smith being up to the challenge of that sort of occasion but Forbes is. And Carswell has already proven that he can give other SPL teams a run for their money.

Gary Smith = no chance of beating Higgy or Murphy onto the pitch yet. Little experience (Europa only?)

Carswell = Good back up player - can compete

Forbes = Steady head. experienced at this level and higher (Europa).

No brainer for me.