Trust Unveils Phil O’Donnell Memorial

MST

Motherwell Supporters Trust is delighted to announce that the unveiling of the fans’ memorial to Phil O’Donnell will take place at 1.30pm on Saturday (26 November) at Fir Park.

Along with invited guests from the O’Donnell family, players and staff from Motherwell FC and representatives from Dundee United, the Trust extends an open invitation to Motherwell fans to meet at the Chapman Building where a short ceremony will end with the lighting of the artwork on the North wall of the Phil O’Donnell stand.

The club captain passed away after leading Motherwell in a home game against Dundee United almost four years ago and it is fitting that they are the visitors to Fir Park this weekend.The football community came together united in shock and grief at the loss of a man in his prime.He was 35 years old and left behind a wife and four children.It was determined that a lasting memorial should be erected in his honour and to that end A Night for Phil was held in the Civic Centre and later a fundraising dinner took place.

The Gorbals Art Project was asked to design and manufacture a suitable piece that would become part of the fabric of the stadium.The process is now complete and it is hoped that this token of the fans’ remembrance of Uncle Phil will become a treasured part of the club’s history.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing this, I'm sure it'll be a fitting testament.

Would be nice to see the big "Brave As A Lion" shirt on the pitch before the game as well, huvnae seen it in ages. Fk it, get the guys on the park wae the flags n drum before it as well. A celebration of Phil.

• Like 3

Aye, and to give the likes of the O'Donnell family and any other special guests time for a wee meal in the Centenary before the game. I'd urge everyone to attend obviously, but I'd also suggest taking a wee wander round after the game because it will look 100 times better at night.

I think a tribute to Phil is an outstanding idea but sorry, that looks so out of place its actually embarrassing to me. Grey stand, Claret signage and well badge with what looks like a tinfoil model that seems to have stuck when thrown up from someone standing on the ground. I am actually cringing. I was hoping for a statue or something :doh:. Sorry if that sounds crass but I hoped for something better that's all, doesn't make me remember Phil in any way and actually has to be spelt out for others who would probably ask the question when they seen it.

• Like 2

I think a tribute to Phil is an outstanding idea but sorry, that looks so out of place its actually embarrassing to me. Grey stand, Claret signage and well badge with what looks like a tinfoil model that seems to have stuck when thrown up from someone standing on the ground.

Agree it might have been nice to tidy up the paintwork first, all costs money though I suppose. From what I've heard the memorial is to be illuminated at night, which I'd imagine will make it look a bit more impressive than it possibly does against the grey paintwork.

(FWIW, just showed it to my wife, who's no fitba' fan but knows who Phil O'Donnell was, and she was quite impressed.)