Trust Unveils Phil O’Donnell Memorial

MST

It could have been a broken brick on a string, it 's what it represents that matters. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but is this the context to take up aesthetic criticism? Surprised by the negative comments on this thread.

Think it looks special at night, and love the dragonfly/ family sentiment. Adds a lot to the ramshackle charms of Fir Park, and another reason we should fix her up and never leave her. drinks.gif

• Like 2

It could have been a broken brick on a string, it 's what it represents that matters. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but is this the context to take up aesthetic criticism? Surprised by the negative comments on this thread.

Think it looks special at night, and love the dragonfly/ family sentiment. Adds a lot to the ramshackle charms of Fir Park, and another reason we should fix her up and never leave her. drinks.gif

You're missing the point in the posts you are perceiving as 'negative'. All folk are saying is that they would have expected something different given the situation. Something more along the Cooper tribute in Hamilton perhaps. That, when you think about it isn't necessarily 'negative'.

Most when provided with a bit more information about the context of its design have conceded that as Phil's family have been involved then that's more important - and it is.

Negative? - to be honest I found one of the 'positive' posts the most unbefitting of the thread.

I'm gonna bow out the thread now as Phil and his memory are too important for this to continue.

So, well done to the trust.

Here's to Phil O'Donnell

it 's what it represents that matters.

I agree with Mr Diggle that incorporating the family's special request into it has been a great wee touch. I hope the family find comfort in the whole fundraising and coming together to create a tribute to Phil.

But i'll add the following as respectfully as possible..I've highlighted the above quote from you and your right, it's what it represents that matters. The tribute is from the MST which is there to represent us, the fans. This isn't the club or the O'Donnell family who have put this tribute up. In my eyes if the O'Donnell family wanted to hang a brick, as you suggested, from fir park i'd applaud it. This is meant to be a tribute the fans can be proud of, our gift to Phil's legacy. Once again in my opinion and from the negative comments i heard walking down Knowetop after the game the MST are miles out on this one.

Personally, when i think Phil O'Donnell, i think leadership, greatness, bravery. I think courage, big character, legend. Unfortunately, in my eyes, our tribute from the fans looks more like something that's been bought from Ikea and certainly doesn't take Phil's characteristics into consideration. Underwhelming, understated and shabby..that aint Phil.

Im also going to have to follow Mr Diggle and bow out of this thread.

For the sentiment of building a lasting tribute to our Uncle Phil, i thank the trust.

Here's to Phil...Brave as a lion!!

• Like 1

Unfortunately I was in a hurry after the game yesterday so I didn't have the time to have a look at it in the dark but I shall make an effort to in the future.

In the daylight it looked fairly ordinary though however to be fair, all involved said it would so I find it hard at this stage to be critical.

However I think the number of folk who went and stood in the pissing rain to see it unveiled and the collection of guests that were there showed the esteem in which the man was held. At the end of the day whatever they unveiled some people would like it and some people wouldn't and it sounds like the most important people in this like it so to me its job well done.

So I'm the only one who actually like it??? Its modern, it has so much ideology in it and it symbolises what Phil meant to the club and his family! What more do you need from a memorial...... a statue, his face painted on the stand and a huge banner with the signature of every player and fans he has ever interacted with to show how many hearts he touched?

Don't think the Trust can be blamed for the design. FWIW I'm neither here nor there with the design, it's a memorial to a well respected and much loved Motherwell legend and I'm glad we have something in place to remember him. I thought it would be a statue personally but not too fussed at the outcome. Well done to all who played their part in making sure we have something permanent at the ground

I would imagine most of the negative posters would have been happy with the design and thoughts behind this memorial - if they had been shown on the drawing board and in the workshop.

It is just relatively small looking when stuck up on the end of the POD stand, otherwise I think it is fine and as most posters have stated - it is the fact the trust raised the money and made the gesture in the 1st place.

It reminds me of the POD tribute flag. Very excited - but when it was unveiled at Tynecastle it seemd son small set against 3500 supporters and the large away end. Probably the same has happened with this..

The current memorial is fine in my eyes, but if the club themselves wnated to put up a statue at the front of the O'Donnell stand I doubt there'd be too many complaints.

Given how much it costs to commission a statue, there'd probably be a few. Would cost a lot more than the memorial that was unveiled yesterday, and we don't have that sort of cash to throw around, sadly. And I doubt as many people would put their hands in their pockets to help out a second time around, so it would probably take a John Boyle figure to fund it himself. (Not sure that the family would necessarily want yet another Phil-related memorial at FP either... what with a stand and a sculpture already, a statue as well would be edging towards overkill...)

I would imagine most of the negative posters would have been happy with the design and thoughts behind this memorial - if they had been shown on the drawing board and in the workshop.

It is just relatively small looking when stuck up on the end of the POD stand, otherwise I think it is fine and as most posters have stated - it is the fact the trust raised the money and made the gesture in the 1st place.

Some truth in that I think... I watched the STV report on it this morning, where they only showed close-ups, and it did look better that way. That said, part of creating installation art is taking account of the environment in which it's going to be installed, so it doesn't really matter how good it looked in the workshop (and the artist would have known that, or should have done).

"Part of creating installation art is..." Cheers for the lesson there Tony Hart. There is some power of pish getting talked here. (As usual)

Thought behind the memorial? Good.

Putting money together to pay for a memorial? Good.

Actual look of said memorial. Absolutely snide.

No doubt one of our in-house art experts & fleece wearers extraordinaire drew this in their mum's house, she said it was great & now we have it there.

I believe the final design came about as a result of discussions between the artist and Phils' family, so on that basis I'd be reluctant to criticise the actual design itself.

A quick comment from Trust Chairman, David Crichton;

It was with humbling pride,and amongst fellow Well fans, that I was honoured to lead the ceremony for the unveiling of the Phil O'Donnell memorial on Saturday. Many people worked so hard to make this happen and it was good at last to see it come to fruition and also have the opportunity of thanking all those involved.

The most important thing to me however was that the memorial was liked by both Phil's wife,Eileen and his dad Bernard, along with other family members. I can say that having spent the day with Phil's dad and brothers, that this was certainly the case. They were so appreciative of the days events and that Motherwell fans had not forgotten Phil even after 4 years passing.

The Phil O'Donnell chant from the boys of the East Stand on 10mins into the match also was not lost on Phil's dad or brothers, whom I sat with during the game - well done guys!

Eileen and her children were heavily involved in the design of the piece, and having spoken with her since Saturday, she is also delighted with the memorial and the feedback from Saturday.

Whilst Saturday was a sombre occasion, it was also an opportunity for Well fans to remember and celebrate the brilliance of " Uncle Phil" and the joy and excitement he brought to Fir Park .

David Crichton, Chairman

• Like 2

The important thing is that we now have something to remember Phil and his family like it. The Trust and club deserve credit and it was good to hear John Boyle speak.

However the actual artwork was as others have said "underwhelming". There is little to connect it with Phil to most outside of Motherwell FC. Best left at that.