Trust Unveils Phil O’Donnell Memorial

MST

"Part of creating installation art is..." Cheers for the lesson there Tony Hart. There is some power of pish getting talked here. (As usual)

Aye, it's inconceivable on a football forum that folk should know anything about art. Let's get back to our deep fried Mars bar discussions before the fleece wearers take over.

Personally don't like the design, but if the family do and approved it then thats what counts I suppose.

Anyway, I think it would have looked much better though if it was fixed to the brickwork of the stand below. Against the background of poorly maintained corrugated metal cladding makes it look terrible.

I agree with Mr Diggle that incorporating the family's special request into it has been a great wee touch. I hope the family find comfort in the whole fundraising and coming together to create a tribute to Phil.

But i'll add the following as respectfully as possible..I've highlighted the above quote from you and your right, it's what it represents that matters. The tribute is from the MST which is there to represent us, the fans. This isn't the club or the O'Donnell family who have put this tribute up. In my eyes if the O'Donnell family wanted to hang a brick, as you suggested, from fir park i'd applaud it. This is meant to be a tribute the fans can be proud of, our gift to Phil's legacy. Once again in my opinion and from the negative comments i heard walking down Knowetop after the game the MST are miles out on this one.

Personally, when i think Phil O'Donnell, i think leadership, greatness, bravery. I think courage, big character, legend. Unfortunately, in my eyes, our tribute from the fans looks more like something that's been bought from Ikea and certainly doesn't take Phil's characteristics into consideration. Underwhelming, understated and shabby..that aint Phil.

Im also going to have to follow Mr Diggle and bow out of this thread.

For the sentiment of building a lasting tribute to our Uncle Phil, i thank the trust.

Here's to Phil...Brave as a lion!!

The MST represents it's members. Apart from that the rest of your post is spot on.

The memorial isn't what I was expecting, but as others have said it has significance to Phil's family so that's quite important....

On the subject of the number 10, when was the last time we actually used it? David Clarkson wore it as he was Phil's nephew, but outwith that we haven't used it so has it been "retired" already?

Must admit I thought we were going to get a mural type thing ( along the lines of the Jambo famous players painted onto the walls of the stand at Tynecastle)

Went up to see the "unveiling" before the game on Saturday and I must admit I did feel a bit underwhelmed by the outcome.

But then again if the O'Donnell family were involved and like the final product who am I to pass comment.

Well done to all involved to at least give us a tangible memorial to a great player and servant to our club.

Brave as a Lion

Mon the Dossers

I think the problem with it is that it's been mounted on a rusty bit of corrugated iron with dirty stains all over it.

It's like putting a Monet in an ikea pine frame.

It just looks out of place. As for all in involved fair play as its the thought that counts.

This is exactly what came to my mind anaw. I don't think there is much wrong with the tribute itself; looks nice and modern and has a bit about it. The main problem is that it looks like it's been pinned to the side of a pish stained bedsheet. Rusty piece of corrugated Iron with a nice new shiny thing attached = exactly that.

Perhaps if the background to the memorial didn't look so drab the memorial itself would look much better.

That's just my 50p. Hadn't seen the memorial until now and expected the worst when i seen some of the comments.

Preseason games dont count as those shirt numbers are based on where they come on the teamsheet and not what their actualt number is! For example, las played a number four against Partick. The last player to have the squad number 10 was David Clarkson and I cant see there being another any time soon.,