Motherwell Vs Hibs Discussion Thread

Well 4 Europe

Only 3 days till the game and no thread(or at least one I could find :ph34r:) .

I noticed Kenny Black was quoted as saying

MOTHERWELL star Stephen Hughes looks set to make his first start for the club since his return to Fir Park earlier this month, after Keith Lasley suffered a thigh injury against Dundee United.

Well No.2 Kenny Black said: "It will be a chance for Stephen to impress."

Will this help our team, will Hughes provide some creativity that we miss? Will we score? Will Murphy or Daley start?

I'm hopeful cause Hibs are utter shit and hoping if we get the 1st goal they will crumble. At this rate I would take any sort of home win and a fucking goal! Quite looking forward to Friday night football...

My prediction for this game is that it will be just as horrible as the Dundee Utd game due to the weather... only difference being a couple of goals as Hibs are decent up front but terrible at the back, the winner will be the team that's up for it despite the weather, hopefully that'll be us! 2-1 (Murphy x2)

were not getting a lot of joy in the wide areas right now playing at home id like to see a midfield 3 of hughes,jenno and lasley if hes fit and law playing the attacking midfield role with murphy playing right up top beside higdon.im confident we can get the 3 points provided we dont gift o'connor chances like we did in the cup game

were not getting a lot of joy in the wide areas right now playing at home id like to see a midfield 3 of hughes,jenno and lasley if hes fit and law playing the attacking midfield role with murphy playing right up top beside higdon.

You a mind-reader? Thats what I was just about to post, although I'd add that Law and Murphy could be played as the two wide men if the narrow game wasnt working!!

Know what? Neither Humphrey nor Daley nor both is working at home. Teams have sussed this tactic and we need some creativity to match our posession and bring the goals we need to win at home. Hughes may be the man to provide that and allow the rest of the midfield the time to create- I hope so. It would also help if SM instilled a shoot on sight philosophy in the midfield and the full backs. Our best goals this season have come from them.

Just a thought.

Judging by our home scoring record any game is going to be a hard one at fir park. Added to that the first thing the new Hibs manager will probably do is to concentrate on defending in numbers to keep them in the game and try not to loose.

However maybe Friday night is the time when we start to hit some form and all the players actually start to play well. despite our lofty position I don't think it can be said that we have been palying well this season but yet the team keeps grinding out results.

Being a typical Motherwall fan I am going to say that Friday night will see the start of a purple patch for us as the team clicks and all the players hit form at the same time and we go thru December undefeated taking 15 points out of 15!

Europe here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!

Know what? Neither Humphrey nor Daley nor both is working at home. Teams have sussed this tactic and we need some creativity to match our posession and bring the goals we need to win at home. Hughes may be the man to provide that and allow the rest of the midfield the time to create- I hope so.

Yes, our focus on wing play is very predictable. However we don't need to wait for Stephen Hughes in order to adjust our midfield formation. Central midfield is Nicky Law's preferred option. On Friday I'd like to see a midfield of Humphrey, Jennings, Law and Murphy with Daley partnering Higdon up front, given that Lasley is likely to miss out. Hughes could be used as a sub. Plenty of pace there. That formation may just tempt Hibs to have a real go at us as well.

were not getting a lot of joy in the wide areas right now playing at home id like to see a midfield 3 of hughes,jenno and lasley if hes fit and law playing the attacking midfield role with murphy playing right up top beside higdon.im confident we can get the 3 points provided we dont gift o'connor chances like we did in the cup game

Completely agree with this. Exactly the lineup I want to see.

Know what? Neither Humphrey nor Daley nor both is working at home. Teams have sussed this tactic and we need some creativity to match our posession and bring the goals we need to win at home. Hughes may be the man to provide that and allow the rest of the midfield the time to create- I hope so. It would also help if SM instilled a shoot on sight philosophy in the midfield and the full backs. Our best goals this season have come from them.

Just a thought.

I agree with this post in part, but the reason it is not working is that there is no creativity in the middle of midfield, Hughes could be the answer, on the creativity front. With Lasley injured it might actually work in our favour by forcing McCalls hand in team selection, i dont think we are ready to just dump Humphrey and Daley playing together just yet, lets see what its like without the gale force winds and the creativity that Hughes is expected to offer.

• Like 1

Yes, our focus on wing play is very predictable. However we don't need to wait for Stephen Hughes in order to adjust our midfield formation. Central midfield is Nicky Law's preferred option. On Friday I'd like to see a midfield of Humphrey, Jennings, Law and Murphy with Daley partnering Higdon up front, given that Lasley is likely to miss out. Hughes could be used as a sub. Plenty of pace there. That formation may just tempt Hibs to have a real go at us as well.

Good post this one, it does make sense, and we would still have the threat of awsome pace.

I agree with this post in part, but the reason it is not working is that there is no creativity in the middle of midfield, Hughes could be the answer, on the creativity front.

The proof of the pudding and all that. IF Hibs sit back and Stephen Hughes plays, that may provide some answers to our long standing questions. Whilst more creativity is always welcome in our midfield I'd say that our failure to score at home is more about lack of firepower up front. Would Stephen Hughes solve our goalscoring problem or would it have little effect?

• Like 1

The proof of the pudding and all that. IF Hibs sit back and Stephen Hughes plays, that may provide some answers to our long standing questions. Whilst more creativity is always welcome in our midfield I'd say that our failure to score at home is more about lack of firepower up front. Would Stephen Hughes solve our goalscoring problem or would it have little effect?

Who knows KMcalpin, but we will soon find out on Friday, but as it stands you have already highlighted we dont score at home, but it seems to work away,

3rd in the table, is not a bad return, even if we are not scoring at home.

We dwell on the ball too long in the centre of the park, lump long balls over the top for Higdon to flick on.. thats seems to be our only game play.

Hughes might be the answer.... then again he might not... Midfield really do need to chip in with more goals, and we play one up front, so the stats will always be down.. with 50% strikeforce light. Go with Daley, Higdon up front give it another go!

Who knows KMcalpin, but we will soon find out on Friday, but as it stands you have already highlighted we dont score at home, but it seems to work away,

3rd in the table, is not a bad return, even if we are not scoring at home.

We dwell on the ball too long in the centre of the park, lump long balls over the top for Higdon to flick on.. thats seems to be our only game play.

Hughes might be the answer.... then again he might not... Midfield really do need to chip in with more goals, and we play one up front, so the stats will always be down.. with 50% strikeforce light. Go with Daley, Higdon up front give it another go!

do you think our failure to score at home could be at all connected to the fact we continually pass the ball out wide to humphrey and he hasn't set up a goal so far season?