• Carluke and surrounding villages
    • Somewhere else in Lanarkshire not mentioned
    • Glasgow/Dunbartonshire/Renfrewshire
    • Edinburgh and Lothians
    • Fife and Tayside
    • Ayrshire
    • Somewhere else in Scotland
    • Outwith Scotland

Born in Lanark, brought up in Overtown. Since moving on from the 'rents house have lived in Muirhouse and New Stevenston but now back in Overtown (well the back of Gowkthrapple but it's not worth arguing over!) however if anyone knows of any jobs going in pretty much any other country (preferably a Scandinavian one, or Germany) then gies a shout!

Graduated from Strathy Uni in Electronic and Electrical Engineering and currently working in British Gas call centre facing redundancy but that's for another thread in CC... So gies a job and life abroad any day of the week, but will still follow the 'Well til the day I die.

Could almost tie this in with a couple of other threads but I don't attend many games these days despite living locally. I will say this is purely down to cash though, and with a young family I cannot allow myself the cash to get to games these days. I did find myself at Fir Park for the first time in quite a while on Friday since it was a tenner to get in. Hopefully soon I will be in a position to get down to more fixtures but I know that I'm not alone in my situation and for every 3500 that are at Fir Park on a Saturday there must be another 1500 who keep up to date with news, message boards etc and love the club to bits but cannot justify the entrance fee. Shame, but a sign of the times.

EDIT: Just read that back and it looks a bit like I'm writing off our country - I would love it if there were opportunities here for people like myself to progress, and I am a supporter for change in Scotland (I reckon I will be here for a while, and will make do with what I can get). But in the next 10-15 years, I just don't see the major changes that are required, unfortunately.

Born in Lanark, brought up in Overtown. Since moving on from the 'rents house have lived in Muirhouse and New Stevenston but now back in Overtown (well the back of Gowkthrapple but it's not worth arguing over!) however if anyone knows of any jobs going in pretty much any other country (preferably a Scandinavian one, or Germany) then gies a shout!

Graduated from Strathy Uni in Electronic and Electrical Engineering and currently working in British Gas call centre facing redundancy but that's for another thread in CC... So gies a job and life abroad any day of the week, but will still follow the 'Well til the day I die.

Could almost tie this in with a couple of other threads but I don't attend many games these days despite living locally. I will say this is purely down to cash though, and with a young family I cannot allow myself the cash to get to games these days. I did find myself at Fir Park for the first time in quite a while on Friday since it was a tenner to get in. Hopefully soon I will be in a position to get down to more fixtures but I know that I'm not alone in my situation and for every 3500 that are at Fir Park on a Saturday there must be another 1500 who keep up to date with news, message boards etc and love the club to bits but cannot justify the entrance fee. Shame, but a sign of the times.

EDIT: Just read that back and it looks a bit like I'm writing off our country - I would love it if there were opportunities here for people like myself to progress, and I am a supporter for change in Scotland (I reckon I will be here for a while, and will make do with what I can get). But in the next 10-15 years, I just don't see the major changes that are required, unfortunately.

I'm on that same course. Plenty to look forward to by the sounds of it then! hahah

Just read that back and it looks a bit like I'm writing off our country - I would love it if there were opportunities here for people like myself to progress, and I am a supporter for change in Scotland (I reckon I will be here for a while, and will make do with what I can get). But in the next 10-15 years, I just don't see the major changes that are required, unfortunately.

As an Engineer myself, I suppose, I have made the same analysis. I have come to the conclusion that my life will indefinitely be outwith Europe for reasons you allude to/touch on/too scared to admit.

The fact is that any Engineer, educated in Scotland, with an open-minded view on location, should be successful in any expatriate country. Please don't underestimate our culture and ability to 'get on' in different situations; despite the rampant sectarianism that is around us.....

Feel free to investigate further via PM.

People may think the grass is greener; it often is.....

Cheers

SD

As an Engineer myself, I suppose, I have made the same analysis. I have come to the conclusion that my life will indefinitely be outwith Europe for reasons you allude to/touch on/too scared to admit.

The fact is that any Engineer, educated in Scotland, with an open-minded view on location, should be successful in any expatriate country. Please don't underestimate our culture and ability to 'get on' in different situations; despite the rampant sectarianism that is around us.....

Cheers

SD

Will send you a wee PM.

Martin, it is a very good course from a well respected faculty it just hasn't worked out for me and probably many others. I would say that anyone who has excelled in their studies and been able to get some work experience along the way will probably have a much different story to mine. I left before my Honours year as the bird was pregnant - not the easiest of tasks trying to start a career and a family at the same time with little experience in either. Hope the studies are going well and you're making the most of 99p Tuesday. cheers.gif

Martin, it is a very good course from a well respected faculty it just hasn't worked out for me and probably many others. I would say that anyone who has excelled in their studies and been able to get some work experience along the way will probably have a much different story to mine. I left before my Honours year as the bird was pregnant - not the easiest of tasks trying to start a career and a family at the same time with little experience in either. Hope the studies are going well and you're making the most of 99p Tuesday. cheers.gif

Cheers mate. Maybe wangle some work experience in some exotic place fae shallow dave! wink wink :D

Oh and it's 90p now! :drinks::thumbup:

Cheers

SD

Now, now Dave!

Don't be leading people astray and into a life of debauchery, alcoholism and promiscuity! You've got the devil in you!

Seriously, Dave is right, love Scotland and proud to be Scottish, but not many people who leave come back. That must say something!

Born Motherwell ,lived in Wood Crescent(The Globe), attended Muir St. Primary and Brandon High (not the only one eaststandfan)..

31/2 years in London.

1 year Edenhall Spinal Unit, Musselburgh.

5 years back in Motherwell.

1982 moved to Stenhousemuir and been here ever since.

we're a Shire team then :thumbup:

Motherwell is obviously the dominant town within our support with 28% of the poll saying they are from the 'well originally, and 20% saying that they currently stay in the town but there is a real spread right across Lanarkshire and central belt but as was stated way back at the start of the thread you will probably find that a lot of the regular Steelmen Onliners are from outwith Motherwell as its a way for them to keep in touch with what is happening around the Club and indeed the town.

Cheers

SD

Off the original topic, but....

If anyone in engineering is looking for a job in Scotland, there is a fair old recruitment drive going on in Aberdeen - and in the Oil & Gas industry in general. Most of the big companies seem to be looking for engineers, techs, co-ords, admin etc. They can't fill the spaces with experienced personnel as there are more jobs than people, so they are looking for those with transferable skills from other technical disciplines.

There's also loads of places associated with O&G in the central belt. FMC in Belshill have held two recruitment days in the past few months alone. S1Jobs, Monster etc are crap, go to open days or send CVs etc direct to companies.

HTH

Born in Lanark. Grew up in Newmains, now live in Law. Any c**t got a problem with that, then speak to my Maw.

Plus I'm a mechanical engineer. Gained my PhD in Leicester, studying particulate matter from the combustion of wood chip within biomass boilers at a range of pm2.5 - pm10.

But it's boring as fuck so get back on topic.