Friday Football

summerfootball

Regardless of any conspiracy theories about the match abandonment tonight, we're still left with an atrocious game of football played in poor conditions. The boy Doncaster seems to think Friday Football is the salvation for the SPL, but when we struggle on Saturday afternoons for playable weather how is piling on more winter evening fixtures like this going to attract fans? Just as well Mr Doncaster has his next job at Sky lined up, he'll be needing it soon.

Regardless of any conspiracy theories about the match abandonment tonight, we're still left with an atrocious game of football played in poor conditions. The boy Doncaster seems to think Friday Football is the salvation for the SPL, but when we struggle on Saturday afternoons for playable weather how is piling on more winter evening fixtures like this going to attract fans? Just as well Mr Doncaster has his next job at Sky lined up, he'll be needing it soon.

Aye cos the weather in the evening is worse than in the day. What problems would have been solved by playing on a Saturday??

That was the biggest crowd and best atmosphere ive seen at fir park in ages, a lot more than previous occasions where we've done price reductions and incentives. So we can't at all blame tonights failures on the day of the week.

Don't kid yourself, the reason for the turnout was the ticket deal - freebies for ST holders and ten quid the rest. It certainly wasn't for spending a cold night at Fir Park. Kill it now!

Hibs had a decent support through tonight - probably due to it being Fenton's first match and the cheap prices at the away end. Take away their 1,500...not a big difference from an average attendance.

Hibs had a decent support through tonight - probably due to it being Fenton's first match and the cheap prices at the away end. Take away their 1,500...not a big difference from an average attendance.

What was the crowd?

Cooper and East seemed pretty busy. I'd imagine there will be an extra couple of thousand at the rescheduled game whistling.gif

Aye cos the weather in the evening is worse than in the day. What problems would have been solved by playing on a Saturday??

That was the biggest crowd and best atmosphere ive seen at fir park in ages, a lot more than previous occasions where we've done price reductions and incentives. So we can't at all blame tonights failures on the day of the week.

Big crowd aye, atmosphere no better than normal, same group doing all the singing. Just more bums sitting on hands along the stands. Pricing is the single biggest factor for me, tonight proved that, not a switch to Friday nights.

Big crowd aye, atmosphere no better than normal, same group doing all the singing. Just more bums sitting on hands along the stands. Pricing is the single biggest factor for me, tonight proved that, not a switch to Friday nights.

sadly none of us know, for sure, from tonights game, if Friday football is a bonus or just another game that some can make whilst others cannot

I'm not really for moving games, as I think messing with the schedules is one of the own goals that SPL is guilty off

If they were incorporated into a fixed schedule, I could see it working

what I will say is , having went to the Phil O'Donnell stand after seeing pretty huge queues waiting on Knowetop for the East

I was certainly aware of a number of punters in 'because' it was Friday night, some albeit only there in conjunction with the reduced prices

a Dad with his two weeyins paid £20, talked to him about a Cooper half season ticket and he was interested but they kids are just too wee to commit and he wouldn't expose them to an old firm game, so less 'value'

6, maybe 7, former regulars from Uddingston who , had made a Friday night of it and looked as tho' they had made the most of the extra 45 mins drinking when I seen them in the local later :drinks: I'll ask them next time if it was the timing or the prices that brought them back as a group?

a number of footballing 'professionals' were in as well, dunno' if they paid in but they were just seated with pals/punters and spending in kiosks etc

I dare say a number of folk gave it a go as a Friday night experiment, but was it the prices/freebies that gave it the real boost, I think so, but with some different punters giving it a go also for the timing

lets just hope it doesn't hurt the loyal supporters those in charge up by keep saying they are going to look after

Would've loved to have been there as I've missed our game this weekend. But as mentioned in the other thread, I missed tonight due to having a crimbo night out.

I personally think that the fact that it was £10/£5 would've helped swell the crowd and wish that the rest of the SPL would introduce a similar pricing structure. Personally £15 for the big weans and a fiver for the wee weans would suffice.

But that's a different issue altogether...

Never made the game last night but listened to it on commentary.

First thing;

Well done TAM COWAN on highlighting the over priced cost of football. Getting it mentioned on air is a start.

However, as mentioned on an earlier thread.

Other pundits jumped on the increased crowd and instantly assumed it was due to Friday Night Football.

Very little mention about entry prices (Tam aside) but absolutely no mention of freebie tickets.

So there you go.

Approx 1600 or so added to last nights game.

Conclusive; Friday night football brings in the crowds. :evilgrin:

Talk about smoke and mirrors when you want to sway the public with statistics.

I do actually think theres a chunk of potential for Friday night football. Finish work, few pints, fitba, then head out. Saturday in front of the telly watching Sky Sports, Sunday League. Sounds like a deece weekend! Obviously not an every week thing, but every so often would be fine, given how manky a night it was last night, I thought it was a pretty good turnout.

Would've loved to have been there as I've missed our game this weekend. But as mentioned in the other thread, I missed tonight due to having a crimbo night out.

I personally think that the fact that it was £10/£5 would've helped swell the crowd and wish that the rest of the SPL would introduce a similar pricing structure. Personally £15 for the big weans and a fiver for the wee weans would suffice.

But that's a different issue altogether...

it's £18 quid to get.

no one is not going due to the price of a pint difference.

I think the answer is staring us all in the face...Summer football.Reduced admission especially for kids and play on a feckin SATURDAY!!!! I never want to go to another friday night game and i follow the Well home and away. Kick it into touch.I hope the directors aren't fooled by a slightly bigger crowd. :mellow:

Finishing work on a summer's Friday afternoon, heading for a few beers & a bite to eat, then sitting out in the decent weather enjoying a game of fitba. I think this sounds fucking magic.

That's what we do here Eddie..Summer, and games on Friday night...you would have done that when you were in Sydney

I think the answer is staring us all in the face...Summer football.Reduced admission especially for kids and play on a feckin SATURDAY!!!! I never want to go to another friday night game and i follow the Well home and away. Kick it into touch.I hope the directors aren't fooled by a slightly bigger crowd. :mellow:

Summer is not the time for fitba.

How is the answer summer fitba?

Summer football will not work in Scotland....when the rest of Europe play in winter... Australia play summer football and it works for us...why? Because Europe play in the winter...Internationals are played in winter players are picked on fitness and form...you cant do that if your last club game was in the summer. Ach but you knew that.

Have the start games in last week of July? have a break in December January? and finish in June? ..No I don't think so..

personally i think the friday night idea works, not for every week, but its better than a sunday luchtime kick off, finish work on a friday, few beers and even have a wee curry at the game, for me it was a great way to start the weekend. yes the weather was crap,but thats not exclusive to friday nights in december, i've been to many games on a saturday at 3pm and come home convinced i'm dying of hypothermia! so a break from tradition, but if friday night football mixed with decent prices gets the bums on seats, or standing then i'm all for it.

If you are a committed wellfan i dont think it matters what night the games are played, you will want to go and see the match. Every night of the week will be a problem for somebody if you get through a season without any games clashing with work or personal commitments then you are very lucky indeed. I think the main factor however in attracting people back to games is price,on a freezing cold and wet night you might be tempted out the door for £10 but at £20 and above you wont bother.

Why cant we do what they do in france, get advertising for every spare bit of kit, front back , socks shorts etc and use the extra revenue to keep ticket costs low, then the extra punters generate more income from catering, replica kit sales etc. Look at how cheap the tickets were for the AS Nancy game in France two seasons back, so it can work.

Summer football will not work in Scotland....when the rest of Europe play in winter... Australia play summer football and it works for us...why? Because Europe play in the winter...Internationals are played in winter players are picked on fitness and form...you cant do that if your last club game was in the summer. Ach but you knew that.

Have the start games in last week of July? have a break in December January? and finish in June? ..No I don't think so..

Eh... International football will be played during the Summer Season months. March to November is the International Season.