Saint Johnstone V Motherwell Match Thread

Rickoza

Thought I'd start a thread for what is an absolutely crucial game if we are to be serious about taking third this season. Saint Johnstone have been playing well all season and whilst we haven't been hitting the heights often, we've kept up there. How does everyone see this going, and who would you start with?

Even with our outstanding away form I can't see us getting a win here, St Johnstone are getting some great results right now and we all know our form past few matches.

Would be absolutely delighted with a point to stop them closing the gap but can't see it.

I see early price on St Johnstone is 7/4! Well worth a punt :ph34r:

Would go for:

-----------------------Randolph--------------------------

Hateley----Hutchinson-----Craigan-----Hammell

--------------Jennings--------Lasley--------------------

Daley---------------Hughes-----------------Law

-----------------------Higdon-------------------------------

Not one to be overly critical, but Humphrey hasn't had a good game since East End Park so I'd keep him on the bench, along with Murphy. Having both of their pace to come off the bench could be a decent option too.

At this point I'm finding this a really difficult one to call. There are a number of variables in it for me.

St Johnstone will clearly be going into this one in fine fettle with some excellent recent form. I would certainly bite your hand off for four out of six from Ibrox and Tynecastle when we go there in a couple of weeks for example.

But they are ofcourse at home and as we know ourselves that's a different kettle of fish entirely. Have St Mirren and Dunfermline both not gone there and beaten them this season? And there's the new manager factor too, so clearly there will be a bit of expectancy if not pressure for them to deliver. I also hope for some complacency after the game at Fir Park earlier in the season too.

From our side, we've been dogged and determined for the most part if not always swashbuckling in our play, particularly on the road and whilst our home form has attracted some criticism it remains the case that here we are into December with Saints the only non-Old Firm team to have beaten us.

So whilst Saints will be a challenge it is no less difficult that going to the likes of Paisley, Easter Road, Tannadice, Inverness and Pittodrie and registered wins so we shouldn't be going there with any apprehension.

No prediction but I'll probably look on this as I do most away games in the SPL. Would love a win but won't turn up my nose at a draw, and that'll be an especially useful result if it does come to fruition given that it would keep them a little at arms length.

But they are ofcourse at home and as we know ourselves that's a different kettle of fish entirely. Have St Mirren and Dunfermline both not gone there and beaten them this season?

St Johnstone - Dunfermline was one of the worst games I've seen this season. Haber and Sheridan bumbling about up front was pretty depressing to watch on the whole. Sandaza wasn't fit and came on for 20 minutes, easily making them a better threat going forward. Sheridan, Haber and Sandaza all seem to be in a bit of form, even Finnigan doing a fair shift is working well for them.

Going to be a properly tough game, hopefully a good 'un as well, and hopefully one I'll actually get to (and see 90 minutes of!)

This is potentially a very very tough game, given the form they're in. Lomas has picked up where McInnes left off and Saints are a very useful side indeed. That said we've been prolific on the road, so perhaps they'll be feeling as apprehensive as us about Saturday!

Team-wise I wouldn't change much, although if Las is fit I'd have him back in the starting X1. A diamond midfield might work here, given how they dominated us in that area at Fir Park in September. With that in mind, here's my line-up:

------------------------------------------------------------Randolph--------------------------------------------------------

Hateley-------------------------Hutchinson-----------------------------Craigan--------------------------Hammell

------------------------------------------------------------Jennings---------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Hughes----------------------------------Lasley----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------Law------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Higdon-----------------------------------Murphy---------------------------------------

That line-up combined with our usual away form should be good enough to collect at least a point.

• Like 3

Jennings---------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Hughes----------------------------------Lasley----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------Law------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Lawless---------------------Daley---------------------------------------

Keep the normal back four, Drop Humphrey and Murphy and Higdon, this line up will will provide a pacey counter attackng option, with quick ball through the middle of the park, with the pace of Hughes and Lasley, and the obvious threat in the air from Daley.

This line up will provide plenty of crosses, no missed passes, Technical Ability, Pace and lots of tracking back and good tactical movement off the ball to free up space for the free scoring midfielders. And more importantly no Passengers.

Ill look forward to the De-brief at 1730 hrs Saturday night!

St Johnstone 1- Motherwell 3

• Like 1