Saint Johnstone V Motherwell Match Thread

Rickoza

Check out big Higgy's 'wiggle wiggle' celebration after our second goal yesterday. :D:laugh:

Was obviously getting some stick from the home fans and gave them it back!

Not sure if Alba picked it up but it's on MFC TV if you missed it - MFC TV - St Johnstone Goals

Class from the big man and as Joe said earlier, another terrific performance from him and the rest of the team.

Edited by OfficialMFC
  • Like 1

What a top, top result. Everything just went our way yesterday, Enckelman mistake, deflection, Murphy unmarked! Delighted though, absolutely delighted.

On a side note, the referee had an absolute shocker of a game.

:laugh: Send us the link and we can all have a giggle....does Dr Stuart post there....he's a clever guy and if he does, I bet it is quallity.....

:cheers:

SD

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/32824-aberdeen-v-st-mirren-spl-101211/page__st__380

Stuart does post, some decent comments, some appear to be fishing trips, I think? :whistling:

Congrats on yesterdays result boys, a 3-0 victory against a half decent team on thier own patch continues your excellent away form.

Our main hope next week is your poor home continues.

Should be a decent game.

Cheers. :drinks:

I think it's a further testament to our form on the road and our season as a whole that "poor home form" means a draw! thumbup.gif

Does anyone know if was a penalty in the first half? It was impossible to tell from the away end if it was a deliberate dive, a great tackle or cast iron penalty. Radio pundits seem to suggest it was a penalty.

Which incident was that? Only one I remember is when Enckelman dived at Daley's feet, and we got a corner... camera angle from behind the goal seemed to suggest that was the right decision.

Which incident was that? Only one I remember is when Enckelman dived at Daley's feet, and we got a corner... camera angle from behind the goal seemed to suggest that was the right decision.

See I am still unsure. There is no question that Enckelman got the ball - but that is not enough anymore to make it an acceptable challenge. For me, if Omar was clipped after Enckelman got the ball (or before even) then to me it is a penalty as Omar would have still had control of the ball.

But since it doesn't matter won't think too much about it

As far as I know it's still technically a contact sport and the goalie can make contact with the player as long as he touches the ball first. Different story mind you if the challenge is considered dangerous. Radio seemed convinced it was a penalty but I've not seen TV.

As far as I know it's still technically a contact sport and the goalie can make contact with the player as long as he touches the ball first. Different story mind you if the challenge is considered dangerous. Radio seemed convinced it was a penalty but I've not seen TV.

Not if the contact has uphended the player. The ball never changes direction, if no contact is made Daley would in theory still have been in control of the ball. So reading the laws, and going by previous decisions across Europe it would technically be a penalty.

I think with this one you are never going to get a definitive penalty or no penalty decision as both referee and assistant were behind the incident as were we. Furthermore the only camera shots Alba had were behind it as well which meant that Daley completely blocked the ball. To me there is no doubt Enckelman played Daley and there is no doubt one of them touched the ball as it changed direction.

If Enckelman played the ball first then the man the decision was right.

If Enckelman played the man then the ball it was a penalty

If Enckelman played the man and Daley the ball it was a penalty

However scenario 2 seems unlikely given the angles.

I suppose the other scenario is the same as scenario 1 but the referee deemed that the goalie was reckless in taking Daley out which could have resulted in a penalty but I don't think anyone could support that argument really.

I think if the referee is in any doubt he has to give the corner and I can't imagine he could have been sure. Had their been additional assistants they would have had the best view but there weren't.

So no I think on balance he probably got that right.

Absolutely delighted with the win first and foremost, and the relative ease in which it was achieved was a huge bonus. From minute one it was a very professional display, with by and large a very solid defensive performance and some decent attacking forays too.

Now, PLEASE do the same at home next week!!

To be fair that was against 1st Division opposition and that season everyone was going to games wondering how many we were going to win by in each game.....

SPL record for us but not a club record.

We did 6 away wins in a row in 81/82

Tynecastle would be great to equal that, Ibrox would be fantastic to beat it.

See I am still unsure. There is no question that Enckelman got the ball - but that is not enough anymore to make it an acceptable challenge. For me, if Omar was clipped after Enckelman got the ball (or before even) then to me it is a penalty as Omar would have still had control of the ball.

But since it doesn't matter won't think too much about it

Agree 100%, very much a shade of grey for me too. Watched it from various camera angles and still can't decide, so asking the ref to do so in a split second is obviously a tall order. Maybe I would be a bit more animated about it had we drawn or lost but it's immaterial.

On a side note, have to say I think Hateley has been our best player this season. He is a far better right back than he is a midfielder. If you look at how solid he has been in the majority of games, how many goals he has created and the three he has chipped in with himself, I don't think your find a better all round full back in the league, on current form.

• Like 2

Reckon the Ref just guessed, no way he could've known for definite and I'd always thought benefit of the doubt went to the striker. Never mind, still 3-0!

Just saw the Penalty incident for the first time. For once, I agree with the ref! Enckelman has got a very, VERY slight touch on the ball!

As I said this does not make it a fair challenge. The fact that it didn't matter or the fact is there is no way to tell withou freeze frame, after freeze frame makes it a "fair" decision.