Europe

johnstone

Did Hearts have by January to have the safety net of a dip in form and still hold onto third place?

From memory I think they were about 10 or more ahead of Dundee Utd.

I just think a few more wins and we should be far enough ahead of the teams I think will sustain a decent challenge such as Hearts and Dundee Utd.

To be almost 20 ahead of Dundee Utd at this stage is just stunning!

Keep on keeping on.

Did Hearts have by January to have the safety net of a dip in form and still hold onto third place?

From memory I think they were about 10 or more ahead of Dundee Utd.

I just think a few more wins and we should be far enough ahead of the teams I think will sustain a decent challenge such as Hearts and Dundee Utd.

To be almost 20 ahead of Dundee Utd at this stage is just stunning!

Keep on keeping on.

12 ahead with a game in hand but I get your point. In fact I just said a similar thing to the wife........... 12 points ahead of Dundee utd and a game in hand, when did that ever happen before?

12 ahead with a game in hand but I get your point. In fact I just said a similar thing to the wife........... 12 points ahead of Dundee utd and a game in hand, when did that ever happen before?

94/95, I'd guess... we finished 2nd on 54 pts, they were relegated with 36.

EDIT: Incidentally, we've already won more games away from home this season than we did that season...

thanks for the info Numpty. If they can keep this up I am sure they can set some new records for Motherwell. Sounds like us wining 5 in a row away from home is a first? Our away record is just stunning. Seems like we are playing as a team and considering the amount of moaning I have read on here still a lot of room for improvement..............now that's scary when we are sitting 3rd in the table with some breathing room. Can't fault Mr McCall's early season statement about the main focus being on our results against teams outside of the old firm....................But damn! wouldn't that be icing on the cake to beat one or both of the ugly sisters!!!!

:cheers:

Unless we have a shocker in the 2nd half of the season the worst we can do is 4th.Can still see Hearts putting a run together if they can sort themselves out and keep their best players but apart from them nobody else will be consistent enough to catch us as long as we have a decent 2nd half.i'd be looking at 65 points for 3rd so we need 32 from 21 games.

Every time there is a draw that is one point taken out of the league. THere seem to have been a lot this year so I wouldn't be surprised if 57 or 58 got us 3rd. Actually the next three games are huge. St Mirren and Hearts are in decent positions but both have had wheels coming off the bogey in recent weeks so a chance for at least four there and Dunfermline seem to be murder. Therefore we could potentially be on 40 on New Years Day. If we manage that then I think we are a shoe in as we will have further deflated Hearts balloon. Also I think Hearts is an unhappy club and whilst I don'tsee us replicating the first half of the season in the early part of 2012 I have no reason to think we will do a Hearts style collapse either.

94/95, I'd guess... we finished 2nd on 54 pts, they were relegated with 36.

EDIT: Incidentally, we've already won more games away from home this season than we did that season...

Remember though that that was the last season of 2 points for a win.

54 points these days just about guarantees a Top Six place although I think this season the number of points needed to qualify for Europe or get into the Top Six will be lower than usual due to the number of draws and the fact that no teams have really put together a strong unbeaten run.

Remember though that that was the last season of 2 points for a win.

54 points these days just about guarantees a Top Six place although I think this season the number of points needed to qualify for Europe or get into the Top Six will be lower than usual due to the number of draws and the fact that no teams have really put together a strong unbeaten run.

1994/95 was actually the first season of 3 points for a win.

;)

I'm not going to get excited about Europe until February the 1st. By that time, we'll be well into the second half of the season. More importantly, the transfer window will be slammed (isn't it always?) shut. We are performing amazingly well so far. However, the flip side is that bigger clubs will be alerted to our quality players. If we keep our squad together, then yes, time to get the passports looked out again! If we lose two or three key players? Well...

Hearts may not be aroung long enough to challenge us. Several auld Jambo mates really worried about their current plight.

Much as I hate the Jambo bastards I wouldnt like them to go tits up, but on the euro 3rd place debate if we keep going as we are then we will get third place no problem .But there is a wee bit to go yet but its lookin good.

Lappin freekick very early on as well I think. What a performance that is. Was that Murphy's debut that night?

Was it maybe Bob McHugh who made his debut that night, I know he came on as a sub and could only have been about 16 or 17 around then?

I remember Murphy getting one or two outings under Malpas. Certainly as a sub at Parkhead and possibly also against Dundee Utd in the last game of the season.

Was it maybe Bob McHugh who made his debut that night, I know he came on as a sub and could only have been about 16 or 17 around then?

I remember Murphy getting one or two outings under Malpas. Certainly as a sub at Parkhead and possibly also against Dundee Utd in the last game of the season.

Aye you are right mate. Was Bob McHugh who made his debut and his first action was putting 6'7" Rob Jones on his arse.

As you say Murphy made his debut against Celtic under Malpas and he made various sub appearances the season we were third.