Motherwell V St Mirren Matchday Thread

shull

Had Goodwin got the red he deserved so early the game would have changed considerably. You could sense that, had anyone of our five (FIVE yellows, and were any seriously deserved?) players on a booking made anything remotely late, they'd have been instantly dismissed. Goodwin just seemd do do what he liked all afternoon, and was guilty of at least four tackles worthy of a yellow after the eariler incident.

Exactly, the ref was fucking horrendously inconsistent today. One set of rules for us and another for them....

He booked omar for kicking the ball away, mcgowan went on to do this twice and not even a word. He booked murphy for nothing. Must have been his first foul of the season never mind game. If the ref had been fair they would have finished with a lot worse than two bookings.

After Jennos, was any other deserved? Goodwin did what he wanted really.

I thought Murphy and Lasleys bookings were stick ons. Player breaking and cynically tripped from behind. Professional fouls, yellows every day of the week and pretty much exactly what McLean got booked for near the end. I didn't really catch the other two.

Exactly, the ref was fucking horrendously inconsistent today. One set of rules for us and another for them....

He booked omar for kicking the ball away, mcgowan went on to do this twice and not even a word. He booked murphy for nothing. Must have been his first foul of the season never mind game. If the ref had been fair they would have finished with a lot worse than two bookings.

Fraid Murphy pulled the player by the neck as he raced away but agree the ref had a poor game and was horribly inconsistent. 7 bookings and it was never a dirty game, the ref was just card happy and missed a lot of things (fair few hand balls). He tried to stamp his authority on the game but missed so much he just looked a fool.

As for the game McCall got it spot on allowing Murphy to be more of a winger than a striker he looked much more the player he can be. Higdon was immense his flicks on and hold up play was damn near perfect, yes he may frustrate at times but if fell this is not his fault but the players around him not reading and reacting quickly enough.

Daley was very very impressive when he riped the 2 defenders an new arsehole hy turning them inside out at least 3 times in a row had me on my feet. Jenno was very solid but faded out probably run himself done. Las was very indifferent but law looked very dangerous and played his part in the goal which was so simple but unbelievably effective.

However goodwins goal was something special and i would be raving if our player had scored it, but he SHOULD have been off for the punch on Jenno but typicaly the ref missed it. I hope for retrospective video punishment here.

Randolph couple of great saves the one over the bar in the 2nd halve was immense and top drawer hes the 1 player i really really want to keep.

Humphrey's again flatters to deserve such good play with poor end product.

However fair result. We looked fairly solidish if thats a word, but saints looked very dangerous on the counter. Well done to them for making a game of it.

Not the perfect result but another point secured towards Europe, as long as we don't draw too many its only ours to throw away.

Mon da well

Also a message to Hatley we know you want to score froma free kick but PLEASE PLEASE stop it its not working and wasting corners.

He books Daley for being unable to get out of the road of a free kick taken far too quickly. Then one of their strikers plays on well after being flagged for offside, boots the ball towards goal and escapes a card. Exactly the same as kicking the ball away in the rules I'm sure.

Great game. Really enjoyed with both teams playing some really good stuff.

Goodwin should have walked for his uppercut to Jennings. Will probably get pulled up for it.

Even first half with both teams having good chances then in the second we looked totally in control and for the goal and after that our arse collapsed and we fell totally out the game and were lucky to get a point.

Special mention to Higdon as he was excellent pity no one was there all game for his knock downs. Daley is a must now before Humphrey as when he came on he was utter shite. In fact I thought his attitude was also rather suspect.

Playing Law that bit further up the pitch helped and we looked far better going forward.

Got to say though St Mirren were excellent. They play really entertaining football and some of their breaks were superb. That boy McLean looks superb as does Carey. Very good future being built over there.

Also wee mention to Hughes who had a few decent touches. Hopefully he will get a bit sharper over the next few weeks.

Overall. Good day oot!

• Like 2

Got to say though St Mirren were excellent. They play really entertaining football and some of their breaks were superb. That boy McLean looks superb as does Carey.

Definitely not the worst team we've played this season.

Very well drilled in midfield. Their narrow diamond shape worked very well against us, usually they had two on Lasley or Jennings and as a result they were very difficult to break down, especially first half.

Hasselbaink is a wee pest as well and reminds me a lot of John Spencer.

That said I think they are defensively vulnerable and depend on that midfield shield.

Oh and Jim Goodwin is a c**t.

Was impressed by St Mirren today, and the fact that they came to attack allowed us to play a bot of football as well which has been lacking at Fir Park this season due to the negaitivity of most of the teams who have came. 1-1 was probably a fair reflection of the game, although Saints had a few decent shots well saved by Randolph while we had plenty of opportunities but sometimes lacked the killer instinct.

Thought Higdon had a smashing game (glaring miss apart), flick-ons, hold up play and general attitude was spot on but I'm surprised his goal was allowed to stand as he was clearly holding their defender down as he rose to head it in. Thought that thug Goodwin bullied our midfield slightly particualrly in the 2nd half and his goal was perfection, but if the referee hadnt been an incompetent fuckwit then he would have had his marching orders in the 1st half, on the whole the ref was baws.

p.s. Daley had a decent game and Murphy looked 100x better than he has for a while at home, but the less said about Humphrey the better, he was utter shite when he came on and picked the wrong option almost evertime he had the ball

I thought it was a fair result. Bit disappointed that we failed to go on and get the three points having been ahead but can't argue with the outcome.

It turned into a really good game to watch though it was the ref initially who seemed to be the catalyst to it sparking to life a bit in the first half with some really questionable calls. The Goodwin punch is the main one from our perspective. He goes and it's a different kettle of fish entirely. Thought at the time he was perhaps a bit quick flashing the yellow card. Wondered at first was the linesman going to tell him what we had all seen from the East Stand but was beaten to it by the card, but I suppose he would have been able to alert him through his ear-piece if he felt it worthy enough.

I do wonder if there will be an retrospective action though? I'm not so sure that the cameras will have picked that up from the Main Stand.

Interested to read about the Saints penalty claim though. I noticed the flag going up out of the corner of my eye but to read that it wasn't offside makes us doubly fortunate with that one I guess.

Pleased to see the curse of the former player was alive and well with Higdon notching another but disappointing we couldn't build on it. At first I wasn't sure if it was deliberate on our part to invite them on to us and hope we could hit them on the break, but either way it went out of the window when they scored that screamer.

After that I thought they edged it although we might well have snatched it ourselves with Samson's save with a couple of minutes left.

It's another game without a home win ofcourse but put in the context of where we are in the league etc. how we've managed to pick up points away from its not as much of a worry as it might otherwise be. You can never count your chickens with Motherwell ofcourse but with Dunfermline and Queen's Park our next two opponents at Fir Park I'd like to think we'll be looking at two home wins there.

Daley had a decent game and Murphy looked 100x better than he has for a while at home, but the less said about Humphrey the better, he was utter shite when he came on and picked the wrong option almost evertime he had the ball

He started brightly for the first 5 mins, beat his man once or twice and won a corner. I was thinking he was gonna give us a great performance as he looked fired up when he came on. Then he made a few bad decisions, lost the ball, the crowd got restless and he went back into his shell for the rest of the game.

It wasn't just that Humphrey was poor today as he has been for a while but his attitude seemed a bit off today. At one point when he played the ball to nobody, he turned and shouted at Hateley for not being there and just completely turned his back on the game. He then gave the ball away cheaply a few times and just sort of shrugged his shoulders as if it was someone else's fault.

Perhaps more than just a lack of confidence affecting him? Very unlike Humphrey as one thing you can never accuse him off is not putting in a shift. Shame cause a confident Humphrey would be a big boost to have at Tynecastle, it's a big pitch and he put one of his best performances for Motherwell their in last seasons 2-0 win. However surley Omar is going to get the nod next week as he seems to be in a bit of form just now.

I agree Humphrey started brightly and then fell into bad habits but let's face it this is his third season at the club and we pretty much know what kind of player he is.

The thing that worried me more than Humphrey going forward was how much more exposed defensively we were when Humphrey came on. There was a noticeable difference and we seemed much more stretched, he frequently gave the ball away and didn't seem to be as effective tracking back as Daley but it could also have been down to us trying to push forward in the later stages and players being tired. By the same token though, Humphrey as a fresh player should have been able to steam up and down that side of the park easier than players who had started.

In the end, even though we scored first and were pegged back, I look upon this as a point gained.

Early on the game was almost ruined by Calum Murray, who made a series of strange and inconsistent decisions, and succeeded in angering both sets of players and fans. How he let Goodwin stay on the park is incredible, given the amount of fouls he commited, only some of which were picked up. His punch on Jenno should've resulted in a red on its own, why don't assistants actually start assisting?

Also he booked Daley for supposedly kicking the ball away, but did nothing when McGowan did the same later on!!! His card for Murphy was similar to an offence commited by a Saints forward earlier in the half, yet no card! Also Thompson twice handled without punishment, not a good day for Murray.

The game itself came to life in the second half, with us in charge then the Buddies penning us in for a while. For all Goodwin is a knob his goal was a belter, and at times some of St Mirren's play middle to front was impressive. They also closed us down very well.

For us I thought Higgy was really good, but again lacked support at times. Couple of great saves from Randy too.

Bring on the Jambos next week!!

I think the reason we were more exposed defensively when Humprhey came on is because at the same time Lasley went off for Hughes which made the middle three much more attack minded. I think McCall decided to take the punt that we are far enough ahead in third it was worth really opening the game up and risk losing 2-1. As much as Daley had a decent enough game he looked done when he went off and the change did spark some life into us. The first three balls Humphrey played in were top notch.

My other gripe is Calum Murray gave them a huge advantage in the first ten minutes with the booking of Jennings. Just like on Daley at Aberdeen four weeks ago he offered him no protection to a shokcing lunge and failed to even give a foul. Then when Jennings is out of position as a result of it he trips the boy and ends up in the book when we should have been taking a free kick. Given we barely commited a foul today and ended up with five players in the book tells you rather a lot. And to be honest Craigan should have been in it for a foul he was spoken to near the end.

The Hibs cup game was brilliant and INverness on day 1 was pretty good but apart from that this was one of the best games at Fir Park for a while. Both sides tried to play and create chances and both sides had their share of let offs. We certainly dodged a bullet with the offside penalty as if Hutch had been booked for that as he would have been off because he'd been booked for dissent at the Jennings yellow which I didn't realise at the time though I did think there had been a third waving of the card. Though Higdon should have scored in the first half and the downward header that Samson saved was a big chance. On the other side they rattled the bar and the improvised shot at the end was a cracking try that Randolph tipped over.

It is one of these games we go home thinking What if? but so will St Mirren and I think on that basis it was a decent point. St Mirren, a bit like us at Fir Park, have had the biggest problem of turning their football into goals and that was the same today with a long range effort giving them their goal and two other best tries. They don't seem to score many headers from corners etc. Also I should have said I'm sure our goal was a foul. So back to square one - referee - rubbish today but him giving us goals he shouldn't is a rubbish I can live with.

We produced some great football and some appalling football in the same game. The referee was hugely influential unfortunately. Our usual failings at home meant we had to settle for a point, which after all is said and done, is not good enough. Saints were far more direct and aggressive. Whilst we exerted a reasonable amount of pressure it was Saints who pulled the trigger much more often.

Stuart McCall really needs to sort out our line up and tactics in home games.

We produced some great football and some appalling football in the same game. The referee was hugeley influential unfortunately. Our usual failings at home meant we had to settle for a point, which after all is said and done, is not good enough. Saints were far more direct and aggressive. Whklst we exerted a reasonable amount of pressure it was Saints who pulled the trigger much more often.

Stuart McCall really needs to sort out our line up and tactics in home games.

There is an element of truth in that post and also an element of bollox.

9 games at home and we have still lost only 3, 2 against the old firm in games we played well enough in and one absolute stinker against St J.

We have no divine right to win any game whther it is at home or away. Fact is St Mirren have the best squad/team they have in some time and fully deserved a point today/

If we have a budget 4 x St Mirren then I would agree wholeheartedly, but we don't............

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights and the goals on MFCTv...looked like it was a good game..good size crowd how many? good build up for Higgy's goal ....thought Randy was a wee bit cold with not having to much to do most of the game... but I have to say St Mirren's goal was well struck....not a bad game on a cold winters night at Fir Park...glad am typing this in the warm tropical Sunday morning here...:sungum::beach::smoke:

• Like 1

How's the weather been overnight down your way?

Freezing up here in Arbroath, hope you've got that blanket on, keep that sand warm. :whistling:

Hope it's a good crowd and an open game.

I, like a few of you guys, would take a draw, we've a tough couple of games coming up, a point would be a decent result.

6/1 for 1-1. An even better 14/1 1-2. :nod:

And another dot. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ca-ching. :notworthy:

Mostly good things to say on behalf of both teams. Appreciate the fair views and, like I said before the game, two decent teams, trying to play football.

Keep up the good work guys, see you soon. :cheers:

There is an element of truth in that post and also an element of bollox.

9 games at home and we have still lost only 3, 2 against the old firm in games we played well enough in and one absolute stinker against St J.

We have no divine right to win any game whther it is at home or away. Fact is St Mirren have the best squad/team they have in some time and fully deserved a point today/

If we have a budget 4 x St Mirren then I would agree wholeheartedly, but we don't............

I quite agree that we've no right to win any game but I sincerely hope SM is trying to fathom out ways of improving our home form, I'm sure he is. However our home form has been mediocre, not poor, for months now and there is little indication of any change in tactics or line up (ok I accept Daley for Humphrey) is a limited change. We are displaying the same weaknesses that we did months ago and if we can see that, then sure as hell opposition managers can.

If any team aspires to finish 3rd, and I don't expect to incidentally, then they must have good home form. I could accept yesterday's result if it was a one off or if SM had been constantly trying out different options such as a 4-4-2 formation or a 5-3-2 formation or bringing in Tim Clancy, Bob McHugh or Steven Lawless but he hasn't. Our failings yesterday have been apparent all season:

* Michael Higdon playing with no support

* A slow predictable and over elaborate build up through central midfield

* Failure to get the ball out quickly enough to whoever is playing on the wings and only doing so when they are marked by 2/3/4 men.

* Jamie Murphy playing out of position and looking like a fish out of water

* Defending too deeply

* Giving the opposition acres, sorry hectares, of space when they're attacking despite ours being a tight pitch

* Failure to turn pressure into efforts at goal

Now this might sound like a gripe but its not. Our away form has been quite exceptional and my comments should be taken against that background. I'm sure fans of every team could produce similar lists. We are sitting 3rd and I don't see any reason why we shouldn't try to remain there. To do so however will require us to work on our weaknesses. St Mirren too have every right to feel aggrieved at yesterday's result and I see no reason why their fans shouldn't discuss their weakensses and ways to improve.

My rant does however carry the normal health warning. There will be the usual factors about which I, and other fans have no knowledge - the manager's view of certain players, their off the field attitude/behaviour, injuries, tactical nuances.

I'm not saying that 3rd spot is impossible but we will have to work on our long standing weaknesses to improve the probability of achieving that.

• Like 2

I know what you're saying Kmcalpin but I don't agree that we 100% need to improve our home form in order to stay in 3rd. I think as long as we are doing what we are doing just now. I think we're averaging about 1.8 points a game (something like that) and whether we win at home or away as long as we stay round about that average we will walk 3rd place. If our home form was better we would be challenging for the title.

So aye let's improve our home form so we can get in to the champions league whistling.gif

Plus last season we were losing these games by the odd goal (St Mirren and Kille at home spring to mind) so every little helps as the say.

Saw a picture taken from behind their goal of the Goodwin effort, whilst it was a terrific strike Randy was completely unsighted until well too late so he perhaps might have got to it had he seen it. That said, Goodwin should've been showered and changed after receiving a red card well before then. Aye, good player, but complete nasty git at the same time.

* Michael Higdon playing with no support

* A slow predictable and over elaborate build up through central midfield

* Failure to get the ball out quickly enough to whoever is playing on the wings and only doing so when they are marked by 2/3/4 men.

* Jamie Murphy playing out of position and looking like a fish out of water

* Defending too deeply

* Giving the opposition acres, sorry hectares, of space when they're attacking despite ours being a tight pitch

* Failure to turn pressure into efforts at goal

Totally agree mate, the Jamie Murphy point in particular is a strange one as week in week out at home were watching a very good player runnin about most of the time like a headless feckin chicken .