Ahhhh Memories

Infamous Wee Grafter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnnyDefault

'ckin 'ell!!!!

How good was Tommy Coyne's record? I thought he was absolutely IMMENSE for us at the time - but I've never looked at his goal ratio stats till now. If that's correct it's phenomenal.

Particularly when you think of how highly Dougie is regarded (quite rightly) in general by the support.

Cobra - played 132, scored 59

Dougie - played 240, scored 59

On a more positive note, it's amazing to think that our front five from the 1952 Cup final averaged more than fifty goals each for the club, while Andy Paton and Archie Shaw both played for 12 years in a largely succesful Motherwell team and didn't manage a goal between them! It's definitely a changed game from those days.

Frazzle

Ha-ha! Paul Baker. Scored a brilliant debut goal against Saint Johnstone at Fir Park.......only for the linesman's flag to go up. He was not best pleased I seem to recall........

Isn't it funny how we look back with a strange affection for some of our duffers?!!

Take Mark Caughey for example. Signed from Accies with a great goalscoring record, yet in 17 games for us he only managed one...an oggie on his debut against Hearts!

That said, he did net a hat trick in the Reserve Cup Final against Celtic in 1988 which we won 4-2, so not all bad!

Big Softie 7 goals for us, remember 3 of them aff the top of ma heid -

1. Almost bursting the net as his blooter put us 1-0 up against Rangers in last home game before 91 Cup final. Dougie adding 2 memorable goals in the last 5 mins.

2. Equaliser at Tannadice in 94th minute of a Cup game sparking manic scenes in the Tannadice Enclosure and on Radio Clyde commentary.

3. Was standing behind the goal at Cappielow when Big Softie connected with a ball something like 50 yards out it seemed to me. Most days it would have ended up past the cranes in the docks but on this day it rocketed straight towards me and only the net saved me from getting battered. 1-1 that day as I remember.

2. Equaliser at Tannadice in 94th minute of a Cup game sparking manic scenes in the Tannadice Enclosure and on Radio Clyde commentary.

Probably my all time favourite Motherwell away day. So many memories from that day, from snowball fights outside the pub before the game, to the Sieb Sieb Sieb chant, to the United fan getting lifted for mooning the Well fans at half time, to Softy's post match "another crack at the cherry" interview. Marvellous.

I also seem to recall him shooting from 30 yards out and the baw whizzing past ma heid and right into the window opening at the old pie stall in, what is now the DC stand...lets just say, the pie man was not best pleased...!

But it was funny as feck......it was a midweek game, many moons ago...I'm sure it was against Hearts.

1. Almost bursting the net as his blooter put us 1-0 up against Rangers in last home game before 91 Cup final. Dougie adding 2 memorable goals in the last 5 mins.

3. Was standing behind the goal at Cappielow when Big Softie connected with a ball something like 50 yards out it seemed to me. Most days it would have ended up past the cranes in the docks but on this day it rocketed straight towards me and only the net saved me from getting battered. 1-1 that day as I remember.

If my memory of that game at Cappielow serves me right you must have been standing in the home end rather than the crappy plastic bench seating in the away end where you spend the whole game being bitten by flies from the warehouses across the road. Is that right?