Safe Standing Areas

Modernist

Quite costly those seats eh?

If we as a club were looking to install these rail seats what sort of numbers would we be talking?

Would the people interested be willing to pay a one off extra £84 on their season tickets to fund the move? it

would be something I would be interested in.

Spot I think most fans who have been hoping for something like this would happily find a way to contribute.

Regarding the commercial value would it intice more punters in of course it would look at the demographic of our crowds or any crowds in the uk, young families or people 30+ are by far in the majority it's not a young mans game anymore I read somewhere yesterday the average age of a fan who attends an EPL is 41!

You guys are being bored out and priced out of the game and have been for a while, I know personally loads who have stopped going after they were to old to pay the Childs admission, "too much money to sit in a cold stand bored to death scared to stand and enjoy myself" spoke to a hibs fan I work with about this aswell loads of guys he grew up with would rather spend that money in the pub on a sat afternoon watching the scores come in more enjoyable.

This isn't going to suddenly create an influx of brand new Motherwell fans but it would certainly bring alot more back consistently, the chance to stand sing with your mates without the repercussions of overzealous stewarding or the problems between those who want to stand and want to sit, a chance to make it more enjoyable more worth your money.

This is a surprisingly bold progressive move something that iv said has been overlooked for too long when these people lOok at how to improve the "matchday experience"

I'm still unsure that the punters who stay away due to price will come back because they can stand. If anything the price will be higher to fund the new standing area. Does £20 suddenly become worth it because you can stand? No would be my answer.

I welcome the opportunity that has arisen through this but we are a long way off any permanent area. It's certainly going to be a long, time consuming and costly process to get to the stage where we want to be.

• Like 1

Definitely a step in the right direction and probably the first time this speccy Doncaster c@nt has helped move forward anything that actually benefits fans. As for his comments on the cost of this. It's a one off payment and tbh I don't think Motherwell would have anything as sophisticated as what's in Germany. I recon it would be 1 barrier per row and just close it when we play our champions league matches. No fancy fold down "rail seats" the old main stand enclosure would be excellent for this.

Pleased that we appear to making strides to the return of standing at games.

I'm not sure how its going to pan out in terms of what type of seat/railing/barrier structure qill be required but on the face of it we would appear to better placed than some be part of a pilot.

If you accept Stewart Gilmour's view at St Mirren that its a non-starter at their new place because the sightlines were built for seats, then given we have seats bolted on to what was a terracing in the East Stand then in theory, you might think it would suit us down to the ground.

I don't see the old Main Stand enclosure being feasible as it once was however as a couple have suggested. Remember you've got those, emergency stairs coming down from the Main Stand, there are no turnstiles leading in there any more and the areas that did lead in have been converted over time. I would see that as additional expense the club might not want to make for a pilot.

Also worth remembering that you would be some distance away from the away support, the interaction with whom the terracing experience went hand in hand for many in days gone by.

The East Stand however, the last section or two closest to the South Stand just seems ideal for it.

I hope the club will have taken note of the positive response to the change.

Just a thought on this, If we use the last 2 sections of the East Stand then what about the punters who have season tickets in this area and want to sit down. I am all for standing and do sit in this area however i know a few older people who sit in this section and never stand up throughout. Would they be happy to give up there seat???

Sorry to dampen everyones enthusiasm for this but I really can't see Motherwell spending any money on Fir Park when the clear plan is to move from there in the not too distant future.

Nor me..........dont think we'll see any safe standing until we get a new stadium......... Or has this safe-standing move altered our thinking on moving altogether............. will safe standing areas be easier to maintain than our current stands? Lets face it, the Cooper and South are still decent stands, if we installed the safe standing in the East (and sorted the roof , tannoy and pishers out while we're at it), that would leave only the Main Stand in a bit of a mess, could that be sorted and could we stay at Firry forever??

Sorry to dampen everyones enthusiasm for this but I really can't see Motherwell spending any money on Fir Park when the clear plan is to move from there in the not too distant future.

Motherwell (as a club) have been lobbying the SPL (in fact they and Celtic have been leaders) to introduce safe standing areas. So they must have some sort of plan in place even if it is to transfer the cost to the fans who wish to use it.

How many seats would you say are in the last 2 sections ? Say 500 give or take a few I really don't know exactly. But for arguments sake say 500! So to Maintain the same capacity and add the safe standing at 84quid a pop it is going to cost the club 42k a worthwhile investment? A ground move planned in the near-ish future hmm not so sure! Would absolutely love for it to happen all the same

When exactly is this move to another stadium happening? I think speaking about a move 3-4 years ago was fair enough but we're no far off another recession with no main benefactor ala John Boyle and with the state of house prices right now I think we're a long way off a move away fae the ark. If they were ever going to move it should have been before they built those two stands when there was plenty cash going around. Like I said I don't think we'll have to go with a dual seat/stand rail if we just don't use the section for euro games.

They'd just have to move.

It's the east stand, no Donald Trump's golf course.

The problem is if you use the second last section for standing, the third last section won't be able to see a good percentage of the park so would then have to stand up to see.

The only way it would work is the last section on its own or the whole of the east stand although I don't see either being workable. The end section isn't big enough and I doubt the club would want to convert the whole stand.

Edit: Another option would be to convert the back few rows of the stand to safe standing which would probably work although may split the 'singing' although spreading that all along the stand may also work

The problem is if you use the second last section for standing, the third last section won't be able to see a good percentage of the park so would then have to stand up to see.

The only way it would work is the last section on its own or the whole of the east stand although I don't see either being workable. The end section isn't big enough and I doubt the club would want to convert the whole stand.

Edit: Another option would be to convert the back few rows of the stand to safe standing which would probably work although may split the 'singing' although spreading that all along the stand may also work

You thinking wee bit like the Shed at Cappielow these days?

DSCF2753.JPG

We should be all over this. The full East stand should be converted to safe standing. Anyone in there currently who wishes to sit can relocate to the POD if they like that viewing angle or the DC.

That said I think we should consider a price restructure. Sure the view from most of the POD is arguably the best but it not worth what it costs just now and East Stand patron who want to continue to sit should be penalised by having to pay more. I'd have any standard seat be it in the POD, DC or East made the same. A no frills seat in any of these areas as it is isn't notably better or worse than any of the others and the price should reflect that.

If it means we stick a quid or two on the East Stand price to make up taking a couple of the Main then so be it. Worth it if we getting a safe standing area.

We should be all over this. The full East stand should be converted to safe standing. Anyone in there currently who wishes to sit can relocate to the POD if they like that viewing angle or the DC.

That said I think we should consider a price restructure. Sure the view from most of the POD is arguably the best but it not worth what it costs just now and East Stand patron who want to continue to sit should be penalised by having to pay more. I'd have any standard seat be it in the POD, DC or East made the same. A no frills seat in any of these areas as it is isn't notably better or worse than any of the others and the price should reflect that.

If it means we stick a quid or two on the East Stand price to make up taking a couple of the Main then so be it. Worth it if we getting a safe standing area.

Eh?? :mellow:

In Germany it's usually 1 of the stands behind the goal and i think if anything was to come in it would most likely be the same.I really can't see the police agreeing to have parts of stands for standing and parts for sitting, i think they would rather have an all standing stand only.

Pretty certain that our club will pursue this if NLC and Police give the go ahead. A trial area could be created at the South Stand end of the East Stand - to avoid obscuring the view of seated fans in that Stand. Converting the POD Stand enclosure is a definite NO NO. The Police would not tolerate that on safety grounds (emergency exit from the POD Stand).

I would leave it seated on 3 sides and just make the east stand all standing. Have no clue what the pricing structure is at the moment but I would keep it the same as it is and people pick the stand or sit option at whatever prices they are.

I don't think anyone was pushing this to get lower entrance fees so why mess with the prices. And no whining about other sections and what they have or what they cost. The options are there so take your pick.

I would leave it seated on 3 sides and just make the east stand all standing. Have no clue what the pricing structure is at the moment but I would keep it the same as it is and people pick the stand or sit option at whatever prices they are.

I don't think anyone was pushing this to get lower entrance fees so why mess with the prices. And no whining about other sections and what they have or what they cost. The options are there so take your pick.

Its a difficult issue. If the whole of the East Stand was transformed into a safe standing area there would be hordes of irate ST holders threatening to boycott the club. We would have to designate part of a stand, unless the Police rule otherwise, and that would have to be where those standing caused least disruption to seated fans. Although its tricky I'm confident the club could come up with a solution to keep everyone happy.

Agree about prices. The OF will back this proposal on 2 conditions:

1 No reduced prices

2 They can cram more into Ibrox & Parkhead.

And where will Motherwell FC who make meagre profits at the best of times (and now without a backer) find the finance to remodel a stadium with safe-standing - if they are to keep the price of all stands the same?

Eh?? :mellow:

In Germany it's usually 1 of the stands behind the goal and i think if anything was to come in it would most likely be the same.I really can't see the police agreeing to have parts of stands for standing and parts for sitting, i think they would rather have an all standing stand only.

Clearly I meant shouldn't as the context of the rest of the post would make clear.

And where will Motherwell FC who make meagre profits at the best of times (and now without a backer) find the finance to remodel a stadium with safe-standing - if they are to keep the price of all stands the same?

Sticking some barriers above existing seats in one stand surely not going to cost extortionate amount.

I expect it would take more than that.

I not an engineer but the basic idea of most safe standing areas is seats with a barrier at suitable height above so when seated your view isn't obscured and it a safety barrier when used for standing. I wouldn't have thought modifying our existing seats would be impossible. Maybe some seats might need to be taken out or moved to accomodate such barriers and complicate it somewhat. But we not talking the sort of budget that should frighten us off I wouldn't think.