Motherwell Vs Queens Park Discussion Thread

David

I'm not overly confident as our home form dictates that we will struggle to scrape a 1-0 victory. I hope I'm wrong but we are really struggling to score at Fir Park and I reckon today will be no different.

Yip today will be a struggle and it wouldn't surprise me if we were heading to Hampden on Tuesday night for the replay. If we win today it will be by two goals at the very most. There just isn't goals in this Motherwell team.

Some result despite poor defending and QP threatening throughout.

Of the younger guys that came in McHugh was great and should have had a goal, Page was woeful (and not helped at all by Craigan) and Forbes was decent, probably the only pass marks in a weak midfield.

Good to see Ojamma score a belter and Murphy's double was promising. Looked very confident running through the middle in the second haldf.

Sat in the POD for a wee change today, never again. Some amount of miserable, moaning, clueless folk talking shit for 90 minutes solid.

Not the best performance, but we got the result and hopefully Murphy's goals will do his confidence some good. Nice to see the new lad get a goal as well. He seems a bit greedy, which may be a good quality to have as a striker I guess.

We didn't play too well, and Queens Park were definately worth a goal. Still, onwards & upwards!

Liked the look of Ojamaa. Reminds me of Scott McDonald (a greedy bastard who works tirelessly and can run at defenders) I think he will be a fans favourite. Forbes Page and McHugh managed to look shite against a 3rd division team, mind you so did most of the team. Don't think they will make it at this level. Omar Daley was pretty good today, Humphrey terrorised their left back and Murphy looked good as well.

Thought Tim Clancy played well today. Suppose you could argue that we won, we are through, job done really. Still, we'll have to up that level considerably for next week.

4-0 was very flattering in the end. I felt we were coasting for the first 30 minutes then Queens slowly came into it. By the second half they were enjoying some good attacking spells and I'm a wee bit concerned by just how many chances they had. Humphrey did well when he came on and created the last two goals. Good finish by Ojamma.

Main thing is we are into the next round.

Forbes Page and McHugh managed to look shite against a 3rd division team, mind you so did most of the team. Don't think they will make it at this level.

I have to disagree about McHugh, as I felt he played well today.

The problem is, can we realistically expect these guys to sit on the bench or in the stands week in & week out then come in for one game and hit the ground running?

I felt that McHugh was due a crack at the first team after he came off the bench to get the winner against Aberdeen, but he was back on the bench the following week.

Ojamaa managed it.

He came off the bench to score a goal against a third division outfit. McHugh did that against Aberdeen.

I just don't see how we can be overly critical of players who are benched for months on end then given one game in a blue moon to impress.

Was McHugh not injured pretty quickly after the Aberdeen game?

He was on the bench for the games against Hibs, Dundee United & Kilmarnock immediately after the Aberdeen game.

I just don't see how we can be overly critical of players who are benched for months on end then given one game in a blue moon to impress.

Every time I've seen McHugh I've just never been impressed with him. I was amazed he scored against Aberdeen as he seems to be unable to beat the keeper and just blasts it off his shins every time.

4-0, cant complain at that, although at 2-0 i thought we were going to conceed& be in for a real tough last half hour.

Credit to mccall, the double sub turned the game around& both were involved in taking hold of the game& making/ scoring the goals. Humphrey was good for hid first 5 mins then drifted out.

The youngsters, page was shocking, forbes anonymous& boab not sharp. As i said to folk at the game, not sure if page is really that bad or was he struggling to cover two positions, clancy spent the majority of the game as a right winger. If page was low on confidence then it probably didnt help. I dont want to label him shite just yet.

Hately, no bad but his best position is right back.

New striker- greay goal but hes obviously a greedy wee bastard. Could be a good thing, our squd lacks shots at goal, could be just what we need

Games like this can be something of a no-win situation. You don't get the result or the performance isn't of the standard expected against that level of opposition, and you get slaughtered. You get the win and nobody bats an eyelid because it's expected.

I actually thought it was quite a flattering scoreline for and the summing up on the radio was very generous towards us. There can't actually have been much difference in the amount of efforts on goal between the two sides over the 90 minutes and I don't think comfortable would have been my choice of word for the first 15 minutes of the second half when they seemed to camped in our half.

But as I say it's a bit of a no win situation so to win 4-0 having mixed the team lines up a bit, without playing anywhere near how you can certainly isn't the worst possible outcome.

Some nice goals to enjoy and pleasing to see Ojamaa get off the mark so quickly. Again you have to take into account the opposition but quite refreshing to see a hungry striker keen to get a shot on goal.

Hopefully the draw will continue to be kind to us on Monday.

I actually thought it was quite a flattering scoreline for and the summing up on the radio was very generous towards us. There can't actually have been much difference in the amount of efforts on goal between the two sides over the 90 minutes

15 shots from us, 13 from them, according to MFC TV stats. But 11 of ours were on target, compared to their 2.

Can someone please explain why Tom Hately is being played in midfield recently? I know he had a 'mare against Hearts but he has never shown any form as a midfielder and was woeful again today.

I hope SMcC learned today as we were constantly caught in posession and never looked happy at the back. Big Randy saved us from some embarassment with a couple of great saves and if their shooting had been better we could have struggled.

On the plus side it was good to see Jaimie get another 2 goals and to see him taking on and beating players again. It was a satisfying result in a no win game that we have stumbled at before. So onwards and upwards for the 'Well.