Motherwell Vs Queens Park Discussion Thread

David

Agree that scoreline flatters us. Thought they could have ripped us apart in that spell in second half!

Got to say, Murphys best game in a long, long time. Funnily enough, before the game I said if he played well he's found his level, bit OTT but before today, I don't think I've ever seen him make a run without turning back + he did it every run today!!

This is forbes + mchughs last season unless they prove us wrong but in forbes' case everything he does wrong he gets boos or hears "git to fuck" but when the likes of craigan does something wrong, we're all used to it and if it doesn't concede a goal then I actually hear the crowd laughing. It's mental. No way should either of them been subbed in a day like today, they need a chance to prove themselves so mccall should have given them the full 90 mins. And forbes is no way worse than what we'd seen of hughes but the way some fans acted you'd think he was the bloody saviour we had been waiting on and imo a pay as you play short term loan player starting in front of one on our books is bad business. Maybe he was giving mccall a cut of his wage. Bit off topic but I hope you know what I'm getting at.

Page neither impressed or frustrated me today. Ojamma (sp) looked like an impact player, interesting to see him start alongside Higdon. Don't know what to think of law today tbh, lost his way a bit.

The team we put out was not what I expected. Thought it a wee bit disrespectful + could have came back to bite us. Had a neutral with me at game today, said it didn't look like there was X amount of leagues between the teams but obvious we had more quality. Felt sorry for them actually cause they were unlucky not to score.

This is a wee bit of a negative post but it's more to do with treatment of forbes + mchugh by both fans + mccall

Someone shouted "mccall fucking changing this" when we were 2-0 up????? Isn't that the point of a game - to win? If it had gone 2-2 then I would have agreed but come on, get real.

Agree with previous post re playing One Step Beyond,no idea the relevance to MFC as a club

The H*n of course don't own the song either,but the fact they have played it for a while means we should avoid it like the plague,we should be doing everything to distance ourselves from them

Agree with previous post re playing One Step Beyond,no idea the relevance to MFC as a club

The H*n of course don't own the song either,but the fact they have played it for a while means we should avoid it like the plague,we should be doing everything to distance ourselves from them

We also sing "we hate the Hearts and we hate Dundee", which Hibs fans also sing and have done for many a year. Should we also avoid singing that like the plague to distance ourselves from Hibs?

Do you mean apart from having been the name of one of our two main fanzines for longer than some people have been going to Fir Park?

Wouldn't have thought MFC were suddenly celebrating a fanzine name after around 20 years of its existence

Thousands of tunes we can play after a goal,don't want to hear a song now tainted by association with one half of the Old Firm

It's a tune that is played when they score, hardly a hard core Rangers anthem. The song in question makes absolutely no reference whatsoever to Rangers and is no more a Rangers song than 'Ave Maria'. If you really want us to avoid playing a particular song/tune over the tannoy because another club happen to use it at their ground then I would say you are being oversensitive in the extreme.

Tell you what, while we're at it, the current Rangers captain, Steve Davis is from Northern Ireland. And guess what? So is OUR'S!!!!!! Oh no!! Shall we strip Craigan of the captaincy because Rangers have tainted the appointing of a Northern Irish captain?

And our first choice goalkeeper's first name end's with the letter 'N', just like Rangers' first choice goalkeeper AllaN McGregor! Should we drop him and banish him from our first team to avoid playing a goalkeeper who's last letter of his first name has been tainted by association with one half of the Old Firm???

• Like 4

Very good!

If you aren't bothered then chill out!

Personally want to see MFC being as independent as possible,therefore don't think it's a good idea to play OSB,a song hijacked/tainted by one side of the Old Firm

That's my opinion,but i'm sure there will be other M'well fans who agree

Well you say you want us to be independant, yet at the same time infer that whatever the 'Old Firm' do dictates what the rest of us should or shouldn't do? Like I said, Rangers have no more rights to claim 'One Step Beyond' as their own than we do. Likewise with Celtic and the huddle (which we also did for a whole season in the early 00s).

At the end of the day, it's a piece of music which was played after a goal. So what if Rangers also play it? It's not a 'Rangers song/tune' and what Rangers do or don't do surely doesn't have to influence us.

At the CIS Cup Final in 2005 our whole support joined in with the Hampden tannoy in singing 'Is this the way to Amarillo' even though several other clubs' supports had done likewise at their matches around the same time but there was no problem with that, and likewise a couple of years ago when we started playing that 'Scooter' song after it was played in Bucharest against us. It was just a 'catchy' tune that was played inside a football match to try and help the atmosphere.

For everyone saying Ojamaa was greedy, i think he was just desperate to impress and get a goal which he did. Looks like a good player and more mobile than higdon. Thought murphy looked great in the middle of the park in the last 15 mins and his runs were brilliant. Good to get through without a scare.

P.s. Page wouldn't look out of place in their team.

• Like 1

Agreed Grant.

I wouldn't say Ojamaa was greedy. More eager to prove a point that he deserves to be here. I can think of one occasion where he didn't pass when he should have, and that was after going past three Queens Park defenders and all but walking the ball into the net. If it wasn't for a smart blocked, we'd be comparing him with Messi!

As for the One step Beyond argument, who gives a fuck?! Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs have all played "Rocking all over the World" at some stage, yet no one is complaining about that getting played at fir Park... Its fair enough, not to want to be associated with Either of the Old firm but when it comes to totally neutral, completely impartial songs played after we score a goal, its taking it a wee bit too far. ( Perhaps, we should play "Up the 'Well" every time we score? ) Get a grip. The music choice at the stadium is not to do with the Game itself, is it?

Looking at one or two other results yesterday 4-0 was a good win .Once again though we played poorly ,defence was shambolic and Page was woeful .Midfield was never in the game Forbes did nothing and Law had another game where he did very little .Up front Murphy had a good game Daley was OK at times and McHugh huffed and puffed . As others have said it was a result that flattered us with Queens park having most of the game and playing most of the good football,at times they made us look the amateur side. Great that were in the next round but that was ANOTHER shite performance .

At no point have I said that I wouldn't take it, nor at any point have I said that I'm not happy with the result today. The performance did concern me however.

I could be wrong, but I'd guess that the level of performance would be higher against an SPL side. Regardless of it being right or wrong, the players came into that game knowing that we were playing a third division outfit.

When you're playing a team from the lower leagues and you're 2-0 up within 20 minutes you sometimes find the team taking their foot off the gas.

• Like 1

We're through to the next round and thats the important thing. 4-0 scoreline was totally misleading. The actual performance was a big disappointment with the fringe players failing to impress. Our midfield was totally overrun at times and that is a cause for concern. Tim Clancy was my MOTM.

Henrik Ojaama? Only on for short spell but he really impressed. Early days but you can only score against the team you're playing.

For whatever reason the crowd atmosphere was flat even in the normally raucous East Stand.

Pitch looked excellent.

Just watched the goals again and they are all really good goals, the performance wasn't the best and some of the fringe players didn't do themselves any favours but were in the next round and that is the main thing. Clancy and Murphy were best for us and it was good to see the tempo of our play pick up when Lawless ,Humphrey and Ojamma came on. Thought Queens park were good, players were fast and passed the ball well,brought a good support . Home draw in the next round would be the best option although I wouldn't mind a wee Scottish cup away day . :drinks:

• Like 2

When you're playing a team from the lower leagues and you're 2-0 up within 20 minutes you sometimes find the team taking their foot off the gas.

This is probably correct but that shows a bit of a bad attitude in my opinion as if players only want to do 'enough' and not put that extra effort in to go above and beyond. Maybe that's why we can't do anything against Old Firm.

I've seen it all now when we can win a cup tie 4-0 and yet the majority of posts are negative.

I don't care what the 'gulf' is, it's a cup competition and we've been humbled many times in the past before. It's all about the win as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

If we can win with the minimum of fuss, keep ourselves out of trouble ahead of a vital game next weekend, then what's the problem really? I'd love to have seen us dominate, but winning 4-0 if the opposition have more of the ball, cannot really argue with that.

Lets try an get a bit of perspective about this result we won 4-0 with a team made up of some 1st team regulars and the rest fringe players and young players, Rangers away to Arbroath with a full 1st team have only just gone 4 up.

As has been pointed out into the next round with a few players rested no new injury concerns and some good goals scored that's good enough for me.