Motherwell Vs Queens Park Discussion Thread

David

Still confident, Motherwell 4 -0 Queens Park.

B-)

Never really got out of 2nd gear, got a few players rested and got through. Good day all round. Not a great performance but the differnece of quality in the final 3rd told. Queens deserved a goal fo their efforts I felt and the scoreline was a bit flattering. Another goal for Omar. Jamie's first was a belter. His third was a good move involving Ojamaa and great play from Humphrey to beat his man and pick out a pass and well finished by Jamie. More of the same in the SPL please Humph.

As for wee Ojamaa I like the look of him already. A greedy wee shite at times but showed good feet, some good tricks and a wonderful pass over the top for Murphy with the outside of his boot. His goal was a cracker to round off a good cameo. Though there's obviously a step up from playing against a tiring lower league side to playing an SPL team but I like the look of him. Reminded me of Skippy a bit and although he looks raw he looks to have potential. One to keep an eye on.

Can't complain key players rested, few cracking goasl and a wee confidence booster to boot as well as being in the next round of the cup. Hopefully we get Jennings, Hutch & Lasley back for next week and up our performance for the ICT game.

If Queen's had a decent finisher that would have been a close game.

But the second Chris Humphrey came on, he changed the game and totally ripped their left back to shreds.

I enjoyed ripping the pish out their left back from the moment Humphrey came on, poor boy didn't know what to do :lol:

as for the game we didn't play that well and I why did we mess about so much with the goal kicks, passing ball between goalie and centre backs did not make for good football

at the end of the day we're in the next round and that's all that counts

as for the game we didn't play that well and I why did we mess about so much with the goal kicks, passing ball between goalie and centre backs did not make for good football

But it did for the most part allow us to keep possession and force the opposition to have to do more than their fair share of chasing about trying to win the ball back.

You could argue that with them having to as press high up the park to try to win the ball for much of the time we were in possession at the back, allied to the fresh legs helped us ease clear of them in the last half an hour.

• Like 1

I'll just sum this up very quickly;

We were poor today and the scoreline greatly flatters us

Queen's Park dominated the game and created several decent chances and had they a decent striker would have scored at least three today

Our midfield was non existant

The young players that came in, Forbes & McHugh didn't show anything to suggest that they can cut it

Murphy had a good game

Ojamaa's goal was an excellent finish

The main thing is that we're in the next round

• Like 2

What the fuck are we doing playing 'One Step Beyond' when we score?

Rangers shite.

Yeah it was around 1989 well fans launched a fanzine called one step beyond.

Rangers started using it over the last season or two

And you think it belongs to them.

Get a fuckin grip - it belongs to no c**t (apart from Madness) Definitely not that mob

• Like 5

that was a strange 4-0 win. we pretty much didn't have a midfield today. 4 at the back with clancy doing his best mouatkil impression, hateley sitting in front of them, law and forbes mincing around doing nothing and 3 up top. from halftime until our subs we were a shambles and then we improved after we moved to 4-4-2.

out of the three young ones that came in forbes was dire, i'd say he's finished at fir park now. page was shaky on a day he probably had to show some form and mchugh wasn't great but at least troubled their defence a bit.

muprhy was decent, daley not bad and ojamma looks like he'll add something to the squad. i thought nicky law was terrible again, we signed a player who was exciting and dangerous and seem to be intent into a non tackling lasley. we need to get him into areas where he can hurt teams.

There are people who post on here will never rate Ross Forbes irrespective of what he does, :wallbash: I thought he was better today than he has been in a lot of games.

Today was always going to be about a proffesional competent performance and that's exactly what we got. There is an argument we should have won by a greater margin etc. but we put out the spine of the first team augmented by fringe players and comfortably qualified for the next round of the cup , what more do you want ?

• Like 1

It was spookily reminiscent of the Gannon era at times today, tippy-tappy stuff around the back 4 and goalie, with Forbes and Hately sitting in front of the back 4. As others have said, we were lucky the Spiders didny have their shooting boots on, particularly in the first half of the second. Pluses for me today were McHugh and Ojamaa, latter was tidy, hungry and sharp and will be a valuable addition on this showing. The less said about Page and Forbes the better, was looking forward to a wee swatch at Halsmann but tactics dictated horsing them with pace via the Hump in the last 20. Worked.

I'll just sum this up very quickly;

We were poor today and the scoreline greatly flatters us

Queen's Park dominated the game and created several decent chances and had they a decent striker would have scored at least three today

Our midfield was non existant

The young players that came in, Forbes & McHugh didn't show anything to suggest that they can cut it

Murphy had a good game

Ojamaa's goal was an excellent finish

The main thing is that we're in the next round

But you said we wouldn't score any more than 2 goals !What was the score MJC ? Agree with your assessment about Forbes & McHugh tho.

I think McCall said they worked really hard at pressing when he saw them and I think basically his plan was to succour their forwards into pressing us, resultantly their midfield would push up and we could then work it to the flank and we would have a much easier time to score with more space. THe first goal came from that and also a couple of real good chances came from balls played by Page and Hammell to Clancy and Murphy respectively. So whilst its not a tactic I would like against SPL outfits I can see his train of thought (first fucking train I've seen all week coming from Hamilton!)

Their left back was an obvious weakness in their team and Humphrey running at him for the last half an hour was superb. He and Ojamaa really upped the tempo. In the first half we were competent but not really that good and the first fifteen twenty minutes of the second were disgraceful but the two subs really upped the impetus and the third goal sucked the life out of them. Good finish by both Murphy for the third and Ojamaa for the fourth.

Really disappointed in the showings of Page and Forbes and have seen them both do a lot better. Also Page's tackle on half time was a shocker - some refs may have thought about red for that. But this is where the lack of a reserve league hamstrings us as these guys are getting NO competitive football apart from their fleeting visits to the first team. Whilst the reserves is not glamourous it is competitive and keeps them sharper than the bounce games they get now. McHugh was OK but nothing special and even since the Aberdeen game seems to have beefed up a bit.

Queens Park were better than I thought and if it hadn't been for poor finishing and at times woeful defending would have been a good match for us. But Andy P is right unless we won 13-0 nobody was going to give us much credit today, though if we had dominated the game and won 4-0 we would probably have been moaning about chances missed.

But you said we wouldn't score any more than 2 goals !What was the score MJC ?

Yes I did and I was wrong. We scored four.

However the final scoreline doesn't tell half the story from today as Queen's Park dominated for large parts of the game and created numerous good chances so although we've won by four clear goals we were very fortunate to do so and in the end the scoreline is actually very misleading.

Yes I did and I was wrong. We scored four.

However the final scoreline doesn't tell half the story from today as Queen's Park dominated for large parts of the game and created numerous good chances so although we've won by four clear goals we were very fortunate to do so and in the end the scoreline is actually very misleading.

Goals are the only things that count . At the end of the day .

To say we were disappointing today is about right. Although, we were brilliant at the same time. We played tactical football, switching it about the place neatly and made the rare misplaced pass. It paid off and we scored 4 - 3 of which were absolutely brilliant.

Not sure what to think of the passing tactics used today, but a result is what we got so onwards and upwards. thumbup.gif

Translation: "I'm even more miserable now that my 'replay at Hampden' prediction was wide of the mark, as usual."

I'll sum this up very quickly

We're through to the next round of the Scottish Cup, Winning 4-0, avoiding a banana skin, resting a couple of players and giving a debut slot to a new guy.

Fuckin depressin' eh?

nom nom nom

• Like 1