Marc Fitzpatrick

Steve Diggle

Lets draw a line in the sand and support the guy and shout down those who constantly get on his back.

It's a sad day when one of his team-mates has to have a go at us (MFC support) in the press.

We all know what it's like if we sit in the stands particularly the East. I'm pleased that Hughes has spoken out - but the downside is our support look crap in the national media (again)

Lets get behind the guy!

I like Fitzpatrick, think he is a good hardworker and adds alot to the squad but I didnt hear many boo's when he went off :wallbash:

Aye me neither, i thought he had a shocker of a game yesterday so was rightly substituted but i didnt hear any boo's when he went off.

There's always usually one or two players in a squad that the fans don't take to and come in for criticism when the team's not playing well. But it's not unique to Motherwell fans.

Shaun McSkimming is the example that always springs to mind. It didn't matter what he did he was always the first to get it. It's just the way it is and I don't think it will ever change.

There's always usually one or two players in a squad that the fans don't take to and come in for criticism when the team's not playing well. But it's not unique to Motherwell fans.

Shaun McSkimming is the example that always springs to mind. It didn't matter what he did he was always the first to get it. It's just the way it is and I don't think it will ever change.

Agreed.

Fizzy appears to now be a fully paid up member of a club which also includes guys like Derek Adams, Shaun Fagan, Derek Townsley & Alex Burns.

Aye me neither, i thought he had a shocker of a game yesterday so was rightly substituted but i didnt hear any boo's when he went off.

Agreed he didn't have the best of games but sadly there was noticable booing from the Cooper end of the East - utter pish, regardless of who it is, especially when the players feel the need to comment on it.

Thankfully J O'B seems to have turned most round for the moment, but how long before he gets it in the neck if he has a bad few games ?

MON RA DOSSERS

Not a day to be passing judjement on player who had to play on that excuse for a football pitch. Young Marc was no worse than anyone else in C&A yesterday and I like others who have posted didn't here any jeers or boos when he was subbed. Fans need to get real. The young guy is out there doing his level best for his team and on a surface that would have made even Pele or Maradonna look shoddy. I hope he doesn't let it get to him because he is a good player and maybe just lacks confidence in himself. He has stamina to burn and always makes unselfish willing runs to into great positions in the opposition box which mostly go unnoticed and even when he doesn't receive a pass he still keeps making the runs. Keep it up young Marc and ignore the morons. :wallbash:

It wasn't much more than a year ago where we were in a situation that fans were saying they would never boo a player again and would look to give the team their full backing while at the game. I don't doubt some fans have done so. But it seems like we are back to where we started and we are having the same boring conversation brought up every week about someone, mostly Fitz. Like most have said its mostly idiots who have a shite job, an ugly wife who doesn't give them any and ugly children who bring their frustration to the game, or are just easily lead by a small crowd. Some folk need to get a fuckin' life.

I heard several sarcastic cheers when he was subbed. He makes a few basic errors but we've had 3 managers (I think) who've all seen him to be worthy of a regular starting place. I need to find a new stand to sit in because the absolute bollocks that comes from some folk in the East is incredible.

Folk boo when we knock the ball about at the back. And when Fitzpatrick makes a pass that doesn't put someone clean through it's a mistake. A guy in front of me actually referred to McGhee as a 'Mick bastard'. Couldnae believe it!

Nae wonder we struggle when we go behind at home, people are actually delighted because they can vent their abuse till their heart's content.

Folk need to learn how the game of football is played. We were bollocks in the first half but I was impressed with our determination to knock the ball about on what was an awful pitch. We're still in the cup, I was terribly terribly dissappointed with the support today, but it's the norm from the cluless arseholes who cannae wait to dish out their abuse.

Totally understand that post.

If a player is having a howler then fair enough, but there's no need to get on his back.

I can't undertand some folks reactions at times, even those I sit with.

On a seperate note, On Saturday I thought the ref had a good game for a change. Then some guy infront of me starts the pelters.

Some people just don't understand how football works I guess.

How the Hell do you get a player/person/employee/anyone for that matter to play/work better by abuing their every touch and booing them??!!?? :huh:

More importantly, if you really want Motherwell to win, then how does booing anyone in a Claret & Amber shirt for a misplaced pass get them to become the player that you want them to become (i.e. that is the complete all-round player who can win games single-handedly by skill alone).

I've yet to meet anyone who performs consistently well when faced with criticism of there every mis-placed pass. Surely the idea is to encourage the player to try to hit those kinds of passes as long as it is in areas that, if possession is lost, it won't expose the team to losing a goal!

The more we create a culture of Fear of Failure through booing our own players, the more likely it is that the players will do exactly that, fail! Surely to God, we actually want to encourage players to try those passes as that is how they will learn within themselves whether or not they have that inherent ability. Smaller teams like ourselves need to be seen as good places for young players to develop and be encouraged.

Although some people seem to think that it is their inalienable right to abuse players on a Saturday, I can't help thinking that it benefits no-one, even those doing the booing. All it will do is close those players off to the fans, even those that are trying to support them.

All in all, whether Fans like to think of it or not, we are essentialy cheerleaders for the players. :P

We are there to cajole and encourage them to attempt to try new things (or do the things that they do well) and work together as a team to deliver the victory that benefits everyone involved with Motherwell! :D

I am not fitzy's biggest fan, but i totally agree getting on his back is never the answer. I can remember eboue's game for arsenal, that was a disgrace, we weren't that bad.

At the end of the day every football fan has an opinion, and will voice it, i really don't see what fitzpatrick brings to the team, fair do's he's a tryer, but he can't keep living off that excuse forever. In my opinion he's not a great footballer, his chance against Falkirk was unexcusable, i just hope he proves me wrong.

I'm sure i'll offend people with this post, but it's just my opinion, i wouldn't boo him off the park no matter how bad he plays however.

I think the simple answer is to encourage every player by cheering when they do something right and not saying anything when they do something wrong. They themselves will know it was wrong & if not, the coach should/will update them on this so that they can take it on board ala constructive criticism.

That way, we foster the positive environment in which we will see more young players come through the ranks and hopefully enhance themselves and the club/fans by contributing to us winning games! :huh:

It's disgraceful the abuse Fitzpatrick gets for doing very little wrong. Every game is the same story. He's still a young lad who puts everything he's got into each game and plays a mostly unattractive but very necessary role in the team. He's not a silky midfielder who can run rings round the opposition but he is the type of player who breaks up play, passes it off short and works his socks off in every match. He's not liable to get the plaudits for what he does but he certainly shouldn't get abuse. As with all players he makes mistakes but certainly no more than anyone else in the midfield.

Get off his back and start supporting the team, maybe then they'll stop worrying about making mistakes and concentrate on the game.

Get off his back and start supporting the team, maybe then they'll stop worrying about making mistakes and concentrate on the game.

Totally agree, we should all be getting behind the team. If people feel the need to hurl abuse aim it at the other team. If you call your self a Motherwell supporter then support the team.

It's really interesting to read the comments on here and its good to see so many positive responses to the abuse Fitzpatrick takes. As i said in the game thread its a disgrace that when players are commenting on the fans behaviour. I realise that it is probably a small number of very vocal fans however now every reader of the record knows that our fans are so negative towards their own home grown talent. Very sad really.

Fitzpatrick is not one of the fans favourites but you cannot take away from him the fact that he has been a loyal servant to Motherwell now for nearly nine years - not bad for a 22 years old. I'm sure he can't avoid noticing the abuse he takes - infact i know he notices it. However he's never been anything but professional and I am sure he will continue to do the job that McGhee and Leitch ask of him ever week as long as he is in a Motherwell jersey.

Lets get off his and other less favoured players back and make 2009 the year the motherwell fans really got behind their players and supported them throughout the season no matter what. Let's get back some of that sense of united support we had following the days of Phils death.....that was real support.

Do we or Don't we SUPPORT MFC?

If the like me the answer is yes then it is in our best interest as supporters to back the whole team and encourage them to improve. It’s sad to hear some of the comments coming from our fans aimed at both the manager and players. Fitzpatrick is a credit to this club in the way he appears to just shrug off the criticism/abuse he and others have to take just because the fans have not taken to him.

Remember he got us to the league cup final when he did not missing on his mind and the abuse that would have followed. I doubt that he would score that goal again, at least as long as a minority of the so called Motherwell fans abuse him for every pass, shot or header that does not lead to a goal even then some would be reluctant to please him.

Let's get behind the whole team (and management) this Saturday against Accies and prove that we are the Pride of Lanarkshire.