How Successful Is Our Youth System?

Kmcalpin

I've watched the 19s a load of times this season and the team definitely has some talented players in every position, but its difficult to tell if they are going to be able to make the step-up because the jump from 19's to the 1st team is an almighty one.

I remember seeing Faddy playing for the youths and just knew he was going to be a star, one way or another, but he was a one-off, once in a generation type really. The boys in the current 19's all look 'neat and tidy', comfy on the ball, positionally aware but none of them has that outstanding talent in my opinion.

I expect a few (Hetherington, Angol, Hermann, Watt, Moore and Devlin) to be retained and progressed to 'reserve' level.

Interestingly enough of the players mentioned only Watt has 'come through the ranks' at the club I reckon. Apologies if wrong.

Hetherington signed after being at Rangers, Angol formerly Spurs, Mekongo from French football, Moore formerly Hearts and Devlin from Dumbarton. These players all signed at the start of this season with the exception of Moore.

If memory serves the only others who have only played for M'well throught their 'careers' are Murray, Asghar, Leitch and Stewart.

IMHO this shows how difficult it is for a boy to sign at any club and make a full transition from say an 11 year old right through to the 1st team.

With reference to 'all look 'neat and tidy', comfy on the ball, positionally aware but none of them has that outstanding talent in my opinion.' I tend to agree with this but I think the coaching and instructions given to the players has to be taken into account. Even in the relatively short time gap since McFadden was this age several changes have occured in the game; no reserve league, far more rigid and disciplined formations and an emphasis on strength and fitness. I feel some of these boys are a bit more talented (with tricks and passing etc) than they are allowed to show in the matches they play but because of the pressure of the next step being the 1st team they become or are coached to be conservative in their play.