Motherwell Vs Inverness Discussion Thread

David

ICT may well have deserved their win and lord knows they were due a break against us, but to suggest they were by far the better team is IMHO bollox! We were the better side in the 1st half, had more possession and but for another wonder strike (a la Goodwin) it would probably have ended 0-0. We were poorer in the 2nd half and that was disappointingand is ultimately why we lost the game.

We lost the game because they were the better the team - far more fluid, composed and in Hayes, had the best player on the park by a country mile, closely followed by Cox ? (6) who bossed the midfield - so your quite right your opinion is bollox.

Their direct running and trickery (Hayes, McKay and to a lesser extent Tade) caused us far more problems, than our oh so predictable hump to Higdon (no blame on the big fella, though it is the obvious 'out' ball, when others run out of ideas - ie all the time) and then.....................................nothing. Was fairly obvious very early on in the game, yet McCall persevered for 71 minutes before trying to change it.

Nothing quite like stating the obvious - of course we lost because of a good strike, but he tried and was rewarded. How many saves did the ICT keeper make, very few - BBC stats show 2 shots on target in 90 mins FFS - I could actually only remember Murphy's in the first half. Says it all for me I'm afraid. What worries me more is our inability to even make chances, to me that should concern McCall more than anything. Shot shy and shite at the moment I'm afraid.

• Like 2

The simple truth of the matter is that our away form doesn't mirror our home form.

Quite a lot of it does,

there have been some pretty poor away performances showing all the same problems that are apparent at Fir Park

in a couple of the away games the players have just managed to snatch a victory,

Everyone will be happy to finish in a Euro spot, some will be happy in top 6, others might even just be happy to avoid the drop zone

but too many people are using the current position to shout down posters who are quite often raising valid concerns about performances, individuals getting easy rides week in week out, lack of development of fringe players (the basis the club is modelled on?), lack of controlled passion from individuals and tactics that dont even challenge the opposition whilst promoting all our own weaknesses etc

admittedly those that raise the concerns often do it in the style of Corporal Jones or indeed and knuckle dragging domestic abuser, but on the internet its all too easy to judge folk on a few sentences,having been away, its actually harder to find discussions on actual good and bad points on games due to all the posts decrying other posters questioning performances.

the manager needs to step up and sort out at least a few of the issues, that have been apparent for a few months

we all know we are not entitled to victories, but it would be nice to see tactics to challenge the opposition and we sure as hell deserve to see players on the pitch, with drive and determination and showing their talents that got them here, if they're on a bad run of form or have off field issues, then the fringe players deserve their chance too.

Delighted we're in 4th, but lets not kid ourselves, a lot of the performances have been dire to watch/suffer, problems need addressed (on a shoestring) to hold onto it.

PS at least after years of throwing cash away on the pitch in now seems to be well laid B-)

but too many people are using the current position to shout down posters who are quite often raising valid concerns about performances, individuals getting easy rides week in week out, lack of development of fringe players (the basis the club is modelled on?), lack of controlled passion from individuals and tactics that dont even challenge the opposition whilst promoting all our own weaknesses etc

I'm not too sure about that to be honest. I think the people getting shouted down are those who are starting threads asking if time is running out for the manager and suchlike.

Most would admit that we aren't playing well, and that McCall has a job to do in turning it around, but there are more than a few who are going to the extreme.

I'm not too sure about that to be honest. I think the people getting shouted down are those who are starting threads asking if time is running out for the manager and suchlike.

Most would admit that we aren't playing well, and that McCall has a job to do in turning it around, but there are more than a few who are going to the extreme.

See I looked at that thread and it a perfect example of the posters I mention, that thread opens with a question, and is then clarified that its a question, a somewhat sensationalist question but a question no less.

and dare I say it the type of question that draws out both extremes from the happy clappers and the self abusing pant wetters

but all the keyboard warriors dont read it and just go off on one bashing away at the negative button and shouting responses.

Murphy needs dropped for his own good.....his form and confidence are at an all time low, and he's become a passenger this last few months.

Higdon is doing what he does, and doing it pretty well.....he wins the header, and knocks it on.....our problem is that no-one seems able to read his game....after 6 months of playing alongside him, you'd think they'd have sussed this by now.

Hateley is superb at Right Back.....lets keep him there !

Clancy.....jesus , where do I start...I'm not a fan....I dont think he's had pass marks in my eyes since he came here.

Jennings and Lasley....when they play together, thats where we win games !....when one or both are out, we look lost.

Daley looks a good aquisition, and I'm sure there's more to come from him

Ojamma ...young lad has shown more guts, determination and inspiration in the 30 mins or so he's played for us so far, than Murphy has all season......more worthy of a contract than a good few of our more established players.

we're sitting 4th in the league, and our home form can only improve, so its not all doom and gloom.

If we can pick up a few points over the next few weeks, then I reckon we will be back on track for a decent end to the season.

onwards and upwards !!

Like your post OCD.

Pretty much agree with your comments. Clancy has had one or two decent games, but yesterday his distribution was woeful.

Murphy has one or two decent runs per game, but that is about 1 minute of useful contribution in 90. He has definitely gone backwards this season.

Higdon was signed as a target man to replace Sutton. For the most part he has done well in this role. But no point playing a target man up on his own for most if not all games.

OJamma has done more in his 30 minutes to suggest he could be a realistic alternative to Murphy and may be more willing and able to support Higdon.

The last few games have been a disappointment, but we were never going to continue averaging nearly 2 points a game. I am hoping we can pick it up and get back on track with the remainder of the games this month.

Clancy has appeared to be playing all over the shop the last few matches. So far advanced its leaving the centre backs to cover his position.

A few occassions it was worked, hes been given the ball in those positions& wev looked dangerous, however for the majority of the games hes left page last week& hutchy yesterday exposed.

Get hately back to rb, lasley&jenno centre mid& clancy to offer cover from the bench

I think McCall is guilty of trying to get his best 11 on the park as opposed to going with the best available for each position. The cup final is the shining example when he didn't want to leave hammell out.

Bringing in Clancy at rb everytime Jennings or Lasley is missing does us no favours. And you could argue the case that Murphy, Law and Daley are all playing outwith their natural position at present.

• Like 1

I don’t often post my opinion of games and players preferring to read others opinions and keep my thoughts to myself but…

I cannot believe the reaction of some on here to Higdon. He is playing probably the hardest position on the park, lone striker with the ball being pumped up to him, back to goal and a defender laying into him from behind. Despite this he wins more balls than he loses and makes good flicks or passes out wide to bring others into the game.

To me the problem lies with our much praised midfield. The service to Higdon is poor but also if we are to benefit from his lay offs and flick ons we must have players in midfield who are able and willing to run beyond Higdon.

Lasley, Jennings and Hateley are all defensively minded and don’t seem capable of making those sort of runs. Hateley is a good right back but despite what he seems to think he is poor in midfield. He was bad last week against Queens Park and that should have been enough for McCall.

Our build up through midfield was far too slow. Contrast how we moved up the park with the way Caley did. When we broke up a Caley attack we passed it around, out to Murphy or Law who both then cut inside and Caley had regrouped

I also thought Craigan had an excellent game yesterday. OK he was turned by the guy for the goal but he was commanding otherwise and even his distribution was good.

It is interesting to read how differently people see a game and their opinions of different player’s performance.

I thought Higdon and Craigan were our best players. If you are looking for players to criticise then top of the list must be Murphy and Law. Murphy has been found out by the opposition. He makes to go down the outside and then turns back inside and gets crowded out. I can’t work out why Murphy was left on. Daley on the left, Humphrey on the right with Ojamma and Higdon through the middle might have stretched them in the last twenty. Murphy was getting nothing out of their right back and Daley might have given him a different problem. As for Law he has been anonymous for weeks. Either get him back on the left where he can combine with Hammell or get him onto the bench.

• Like 2

I feel as if I say this after every home game, but that was fucking dire again yesterday. 1st half I felt we were decent, but the 2nd half was atrocious.

I still back McCall as overall this season has been successful thus far but if he doesnt sort out some of the fundamentals soon then we are going to slide down this league and throw away any hope of another European adventure.

Personally, I'd drop Craigan, a fucking bombscare every time the ball is at his feet, and got turned by Tade as though he wasnt there. I'd play Clancy at centre-back beside Hutch and get Hateley back to right back (the only position he can effectively play in my opinion). The sooner Jenno is match fit, the better, he runs our team for us.

Onto the attacking side of our 'team', where do I start? If Randy wants to square go a zoomer in the Cooper Stand for calling him a 'dick/prick' then I can only applaude Higdon for his self-control. Dont believe my avatar, I dont think he is a fantastic player but at our level he is a very good targetman/goalscorer and yesterday for me he was the best player in our side (1st half certainly), hardly lost a header and (most) of his link up play was good. Tade fucks a belter into the top bin, Higdon plays a stray pass soon after and the remedials in the East Stand start fucking screaming abuse as if they were waiting all match for a chance, it was fucking ridiculous particularly when you have the same said remedials giving Murphy, Daley and Law an easy ride. The service to Higdon, and into the box in general, was abysmal.

McCall must be able to see that this formation (and use of certain players) isnt working, Law looked pretty good when 1st signed but has been honking of late, Daley is lazy and just doesnt do it for me at all and to be perfectly honest I forgot that Murphy was playing, totally wasted playing at left-midfield.

p.s. the referee had a dreadful match, its nothing new to see Higdon get nothing from officials but at times I thought the Caley players were given permission to use their hands/arms to control the ball

p.p.s. what has happened to the Wellboys/ultras/choir (or whatever their called these days), start of the season they brought a bit of colour and noise to Fir Park but have been posted missing for a while now and got outsung by a bus-load from Inverness

p.p.p.s. Maurice Malpas is fucking wank

I wasn't there yesterday but this seems to sum up the whole season.

A great post

For me, higdon can be a good player for us and no one can argue with his goal tally so far. BUT far to often he tries flick ons or a pass which simply aren't there, when it is, it's great when it comes off but there were times yesterday when it did and then he stood and ball watched instead of getting up in to the box. That's what I find frustrating. Crags did have a decent game yesterday but there were times against queens park when I couldn't believe what I was watching. He wasn't any better than page in that game.Murphy hasn't kicked a ball in the spl since August. Law too has been poor of late.It's surely time to give some others a chance. And totally agree with the post above saying McCall is guilty of always trying to field his best 11 and not the best team on the day.

I wasn't there yesterday but this seems to sum up the whole season.

A great post

I've been quite surprised by how quiet the fans in the East have been recently especially as they have been so good for the vast majority of the season. Hopefully back to their best for the visit of Dunfermline.

Personally, I'd drop Craigan, a fucking bombscare every time the ball is at his feet, and got turned by Tade as though he wasnt there. I'd play Clancy at centre-back beside Hutch and get Hateley back to right back (the only position he can effectively play in my opinion).

This is the only part of your post that I can disagree with. I wouldn't in a million years drop Craigan for Clancy. We all know he ain't the best with the ball at his feet but even yesterday he made countless crucial interventions and without him it would have been more. I know he was partly to fault for the goal, not a lot I can say to defend that but a team is more than one man. Compare to Clancy's performance yesterday. Almost every pass he played put someone immediately under pressure and he was constantly out of position, so much so that Hutch and Craigan spent almost more time at right-back than Clancy did.

Hateley at right-back I completely agree with, as well as your assessment of Jennings. Although we were playing badly with him in the team, you can see how much we suffer in midfield without him. Lasley needs him there to be allowed to go and play his own game.

I did hear someone saying that Saunders should be back in training soon. I cannot wait for that, as I feel he gives us a much more reliable option than Clancy.

I did hear someone saying that Saunders should be back in training soon. I cannot wait for that, as I feel he gives us a much more reliable option than Clancy.

Yes I'm sure Saunders said on Alba last night that he would start some running next week.

Agree with everything else you said, and that tackle of Clancy's on Tade could have been a red card in another ref's book.

Chat of sacking Mccall is bang out of order.

I don't think many people are saying that McCall should be sacked just that the home form and performances has now become unacceptable.

It's down to McCall now to do something but in my opinion he doesn't seem to have a surplus of ideas for doing so or is unwilling to deviate from his current ideas.

I just hope to god the football gets better.

I'm concerned about the wellbeing of some of you and suggest that you mibbez stay in the house of a Saturday.

True the fitbas not great but it's hardly 'unacceptable' - disappointing mibbe - but definitely not unacceptable.

There can't be a discussion about our form without considering the size of the squad, the type of formation teams play at Fir Park compared to the way they do when they're at home.

I've stated in a number of threads that I'd like to see McCall handle a couple of things differently and many others have stated that they would like loads done differently.

Some of our players are off the ball / jaded - a lot of them have been ever presents. Every single player in the UK no matter how many millions they cost dip in form. Fortunately for some of them their manager is able to replace them with another multi million pound player. Quite frankly - as much as I bang on about freshening things up - we have to realise we're extremely limited in what we can do.

Teams come to Fir Park and sit in these days (as opposed to under Broon when we sat in - noo that really was unacceptable) and while early in the season the way we were playing was fresh and bringing a bit of success - teams after one round of games have the rest of the teams sussed. Players like Law are sussed - there are always two men on Humph and Murphy.

We get more success away from home the way we set up - and that's not unique to us either a lot of teams are finding it better counter a more open opponent away than breaking down a more defensive set up at home.

If we can't take these things into account then we're no really looking at the big picture.

I've been disappointed in our approach and application in a couple of games especially against the old firm - however in general at Fir Park I see a team that's going out and at least trying to be positive and win games. Anyone who has supported us in the past few decades cant put their hand on their heart and say that that's always been the case.

Disappointing - Aye

Unacceptable - Naw

• Like 6

The thing that is obvious is the need for one or two changes. Certainly Murphy on the left hasn't been working in the SPL for sometime, I'm not convinced of Clancy's credentials at right back and Jennings has to be back in midfield at Tannadice.

The home form is worrying, I don't think anyone can deny that and I think Stuart McCall will be man enough to accept some criticism directed his way, use it constructively and try to arrest the slump at Fir Park. One thing that won't help is spending 90 minutes launching high balls up to Higdon, it's horrific to watch and leaves us on the back foot more often than not. I felt the changes came far too late in the game on Saturday and that was naive from the management team. Saying that, some of the shouts that are heard at a home game are ludicrous and leave you wondering if these people have ever watched a match.

Onwards and Upwards though, I'm confident we can get something at Tannadice and return to playing the way we can and a result at home to an utterly shite Dunfermline team can be a catalyst for an improvement at the Ark.

• Like 2

I'm concerned about the wellbeing of some of you and suggest that you mibbez stay in the house of a Saturday.

True the fitbas not great but it's hardly 'unacceptable' - disappointing mibbe - but definitely not unacceptable.

There can't be a discussion about our form without considering the size of the squad, the type of formation teams play at Fir Park compared to the way they do when they're at home.

I've stated in a number of threads that I'd like to see McCall handle a couple of things differently and many others have stated that they would like loads done differently.

Some of our players are off the ball / jaded - a lot of them have been ever presents. Every single player in the UK no matter how many millions they cost dip in form. Fortunately for some of them their manager is able to replace them with another multi million pound player. Quite frankly - as much as I bang on about freshening things up - we have to realise we're extremely limited in what we can do.

Teams come to Fir Park and sit in these days (as opposed to under Broon when we sat in - noo that really was unacceptable) and while early in the season the way we were playing was fresh and bringing a bit of success - teams after one round of games have the rest of the teams sussed. Players like Law are sussed - there are always two men on Humph and Murphy.

We get more success away from home the way we set up - and that's not unique to us either a lot of teams are finding it better counter a more open opponent away than breaking down a more defensive set up at home.

If we can't take these things into account then we're no really looking at the big picture.

I've been disappointed in our approach and application in a couple of games especially against the old firm - however in general at Fir Park I see a team that's going out and at least trying to be positive and win games. Anyone who has supported us in the past few decades cant put their hand on their heart and say that that's always been the case.

Disappointing - Aye

Unacceptable - Naw

Best post in the whole thread :notworthy: