Time Running Out For Mccall ?

postiejim

David this place would blow up if and when we revert back to our normal status. And Steelboys beard would probably self combust. These last few years have been a real purple patch in our clubs history, and given the crowds we still fail to attract even more remarkable. 4th place will be a major achievement, 3rd unbelievable, Champions League just mind blowing for a club our size. I'll avoid the 'punching' line cos it upsets some wee delicate souls but believe me, runs of form such as we have experienced of late are the exception rather than the norm. So fucking enjoy them just now instead fof nitpicking and running down the players who can still etch their name in our folklore.

You don't need to tell me, I've been following Motherwell for almost 26 years now and I've seen some of the darker days you are thinking about.

If we make the Champions League I'd be more worried about time running out for us as far as McCall goes. Him taking a club our size to such a stage, ahead of the likes of Hearts, Hibs & Dundee United won't go unnoticed down south, or even (whisper it) in the blue side of Glasgow.

He's done a hell of a job since arriving, and if eventually finishing fourth and qualifying for the Europa league is failure, then long may it continue!

You don't need to tell me, I've been following Motherwell for almost 26 years now and I've seen some of the darker days you are thinking about.

If we make the Champions League I'd be more worried about time running out for us as far as McCall goes. Him taking a club our size to such a stage, ahead of the likes of Hearts, Hibs & Dundee United won't go unnoticed down south, or even (whisper it) in the blue side of Glasgow.

He's done a hell of a job since arriving, and if eventually finishing fourth and qualifying for the Europa league is failure, then long may it continue!

Aye I've fairly enjoyed how shite we've been this last 5 or 6 seasons. Much preferable to the shite of the 80s, but nowhere near as enjoyable as the rubbish we had to watch in the mid-90s, that wis really good

:thumbup:

This is ridiculous but I think I may have pointed out in this thread before (can't be arsed trolling through 11 pages worth), our fans wanted Tommy McLean sacked so nothing can really surprise you.

I really don't know what gives people the right to be so expectant- I'd wager we have a budget smaller than all of the city teams (Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hibernian and Hearts) so to be where we are is fantastic.

The same people who are heavily critical of our defeats to the Old Firm will be the same people who in the past- when we were more competitive against them- were critical of us raising our game to them and not picking up points from the teams around us.

Would people rather go back to the times of Malpas? One win in the first eight games of the season? Most of the 'Well fans rated Terry Butcher as a good manager, Stuart McCall stands to surpass what Butcher achieved by the end of this season.

Yes, yesterday was disappointing, the result and the nature of the defeat. I'm sure I saw the figure of us having 8% of Celtic's budget- on paper, such a gap should see them beating us everytime.

It's actually embarassing how often this and the Michael Higdon thread get bumped. Go and find some perspective or kindly fuck off to the Old Firm with your divine right attitude.

• Like 1

I was one who shouted for Tommy McLean to go back in the late 80s, how wrong was I? Man led us to our greatest day in my lifetime a few years later. Kind of learned my lesson back then, defended him to hilt when everyone turned on him during the bleak couple of season following our Cup win and in fact one of the reasons we started OSB was to answer his critics after a full season in the top 4 1993-94. Yes we even had moaners after a season like that which many look back on now as one of our finest. Shaped the way I view my club, others haven't had that kind of experience yet. Then again some have and still spout shite but I'm sure you're right, this season will be remembered fondly when we look back.

• Like 1

i wasn't even goign to look in this thread.........glad I did though..........good to see all the positive relaistic responses. all the talk of us throwing away a big lead etc ..............all the teams started dead even!! All that matters is where you end up. and I stil think that wil be third.

Can only agree with the majority above, McCall doing a great job and has full support. When he leaves it will be because he has been offered a bigger club, that much is obvious.

Sorry to say that the saddest element of this season has not been the loss of late form, but some fans expectations and intolerance reaching new and unrealistic heights. We have seen it with Higdon, Hatley, Humphrey and McCall, and we have seen it with poor fan responses to key games. Sure reality will kick in soon, though obviously I hope not. The 'Ranger's old boy' pish you hear about McCall in the East stand is sickening.

Also think the loss of form has been mainly down to injuries and suspensions rather than 'bottle', and in particular the destabilising loss of the Las/Jennings partnership for key games.

Still think we'll limp over the line, most likely on the last day - potentially another huge game in the club's history, should be a cracker!

• Like 2

I fully expect our performances to improve mightily now that the dynamic duo will be back in action together.

We are hard to beat when we have the 6 guys below all playing. Which has been about 3 out of the last 9 games. 2 of those against the old firm in 1 goal defeats. The other when Las got sent off in the cup.

We will have our best team available for the last 4 games and I think we will see that reflected in our results.

Hately Hutch Clancy Hammil

Jennings Lasley