Time Running Out For Mccall ?

postiejim

Are the alarm bells ringing for some well fans,is McCall being found out or will he get us back on track ?

Alarm bells will ring for some fans if we win the league but get knocked out before we reach the group stages of the Champions League.

If any fan thought we would stroll our way to 3rd in the league then this is either their first season following the club or they have lost their grip on reality.

Every team in the league goes through spells of good and bad form and good and bad luck. What separates about 6 or 7 clubs in the SPL is how they capitalise on the good form and how they minimize the impact of the poor form.

Right now, we are in a bit of a trough, but it's hardly time to panic. It's time to roll up the sleeves, dig in and grind out a couple of ugly wins. Some of that will be down to the manager and some of it will be down to the players themselves.

Our aim every season should be to look for a top 6 finish, and only after we achieve that should we worry about 3rd/4th/5th. Unfortunately, the other teams pay their players too, and they also want to finish in the top 6 - so those sneaky buggers try and win every game, even when it's us they are playing.

The last thing we need to be doing is changing managers at this stage of the season. McCall hasn't had the chance to work through a complete league campaign yet. We're not going to be relegated, and have time to regain some form. So let's see how the rest of the season pans out.

For us auld yins, any season we aren't battling the drop is already a success.

Of course there are things we'd like to see changed, but messing around with a winning formula when we were 3rd is not the time to do it. Now we do need to make a few changes, they won't all work, and even if they do work, they won't necessarily work the first time we try them.

A couple of home wins, and we'll start seeing posts on here again asking when the Europa Cup qualifying rounds start (which will be just as premature).

• Like 2

Well that's shite. He should have been shooting for goal with them!

laugh1.gif

Can you imagine the outcry on here if every time Higdon pulled the ball down (most of the time with the service coming from behind him) he turned and attempted to shoot from 30 yards out?

He's doing his job, just not getting the support. The midfield/wingers need to be anticipating the flick on and running into space.

so he gave the ball away every time?

Fuck sake.

Higdons hold up play is excellent he nearly always wins his headers and nearly all his knock downs are into dangerous areas.

The problem is we have this three pronged attack which leaves Higdon totally isolated.

Personally I think Higdon has been an excellent signing. It's down to McCall to get the best out of his strengths.

• Like 4

I look at all the comments in this post. Everyone saying it's not Higdon's fault. it's the tactics. We've been saying for months that he doesn't get the support he needs etc etc. Well, if we can see that, how come the manager can't!

Fairly lazy counter argument. The chances are that the manager can see it,. but is choosing not to act on it because the players wouldn't be able to adapt or some other tosh.

Higdon has been our best signing in recent seasons, and we know from the goals he scored at St M that he can shoot from distance but its clear that McCall wants him to play it out wide so he can get himself into the box. This works all the time, except the ball never falls to his feet.

I still have faith in Stuart McCall but our recent performances have been as bad as anything i've witnessed from crap Motherwell teams through the years. I do believe that up front we're really poor and i know im upsetting happy clappers here who no doubt will reply with he wins his fair share of high balls bit Michael Higdon and Jamie Murphy are crap together. This is not a knee jerk reaction they've been pish for weeks now and hopefully Stuarty can do some business in the window to kick start our faltering season because he must be pissed off as iam at our feeble attempts to score at home. Chris Humprey can leave too in my opinion and we should be looking to get someone of the calibre of Ryan Stevenson whose out of contract. So i'll reserve my judgement as to whether McCall's going to get us back on track with what happens during this January. What i do know is WE NEED A FECKIN STRIKER!!!!!!! :angry:

Yea great idea, get rid of Humphrey that should solve the being pants at home and the tactical issues surrounding McCalls formations. Stuart McCall is a good manager. but currently its not working and thats clear too see. The problem is we play far to slow through the middle, which defeats the object of playing pace with Omar, Murphy, Humphrey,.... Lasley and Jennings against the old firm yes, as we would expect to defend for large periods of time, but Both together is too slow and now Law is not creating anything we have only got the pace of Omar creating anything near hitting the back of the net, hence poor performances at home.

Drop Law Or Lasley when playing any other team than the old firm, bring in Humphrey and play Daley through the middle of the park, With OJ/Higdon up front.

McCall must be seen to change things next game round, i have a sneeky feeling he will play a bore draw formation away, and put all his cards on the table for the Dunfirmline game.

Stick with McCall, after January he will start playing Humphrey again.... wonder why. Onwards and upwards.

I've never been a fan of McCall, but I think questioning his continuing employment when we drop to 4th is just bloody ridiculous.

I take the point that we've been a bit of a shambles recently, but we've still managed to keep our noses in front of the chasing pack. In fairness McCall hasn't had too many bad times since his appointment, although the last few weeks of last season were bloody awful, this is probably his first big challenge as 'Well boss. He has to stop the rot and get the team back to playing the kind of football that was earning us plaudits at the start of the season.

If he fails and the slide continues that's when you start asking those kind of questions. At the moment we're in a decent position, lets hope it stays that way.

• Like 1

I look at all the comments in this post. Everyone saying it's not Higdon's fault. it's the tactics. We've been saying for months that he doesn't get the support he needs etc etc. Well, if we can see that, how come the manager can't!

Some managers haven't noticed Hateley can't play in midfield. They all have their own ideas about how they want to play the game.

Fuck sake.

Higdons hold up play is excellent he nearly always wins his headers and nearly all his knock downs are into dangerous areas.

The problem is we have this three pronged attack which leaves Higdon totally isolated.

Personally I think Higdon has been an excellent signing. It's down to McCall to get the best out of his strengths.

aye good one :whistling: been to all the games home and away and im afraid yer wrong ....no one ever gets his knockdowns cause there never to another well player , cant tell his left from right in front of goal weve lost a few points this season wi him bein rooted to the spot and the ball trundelin past him sorry hes just not sharp enough time to make a change with some sharper players and forget the high balls.

• Like 1

For a fan that only goes to home games it is currently pretty diabolical viewing wise. But you are still a fan of the team whether you are there or not so you need to accept up until quite recently it has been a good season, potentially great.

Right now it looks more likely to head back towards mediocre land than anything special and given last couple of away games albeit tricky ones have been poor it makes the home form look even worse.

What is the problem. Hell knows to be honest, I can think of a few things. Some already mentioned. Higdon seems to isolated, despite being fairly quick the likes of Humphrey, Daley and Murpy don't seem to be linking up with him very well. I think Higdon has been playing by and large pretty well, holding ball up, scoring a few, and putting himself about. I don't think Murphy or Humphrey have shown anything like their best.

Recently the defence has been unsettled, and the worst part of that is Hately in midfield where he has been totally ineffective. Craigan having to be the left sided defender I think is making him look worse than he is. As it is though for me I'd be tempted to drop him for Clancy who prior to that red card had started to look decent at centre half. At full back I'm not convinced and believe we have a better option.

Our midfield for all its flaws has worked pretty well when Las and Jennings have played together. Any other time not so good.

Law seems to have lost his way as well, early season he was a bright spark adding a bit more pentration and creativity.

With limited funds it is a complicated puzzle to fix. Personally I'd like to see McHugh get a wee run right alongside Higdon, although Ojamma, Daley or Murphy would do I think the latter could do with some time on the bench.

Go to a simpler 4-4-2 and give Law some licence to roam and see how it goes.

aye good one :whistling: been to all the games home and away and im afraid yer wrong ....no one ever gets his knockdowns cause there never to another well player , cant tell his left from right in front of goal weve lost a few points this season wi him bein rooted to the spot and the ball trundelin past him sorry hes just not sharp enough time to make a change with some sharper players and forget the high balls.

So football isn't about playing a ball into space and hoping that one of your team mates will have the intelligence to take a gamble and run into said space? That's what players like Murphy, Higdon, Law and Humphrey should be doing.

So football isn't about playing a ball into space and hoping that one of your team mates will have the intelligence to take a gamble and run into said space? That's what players like Murphy, Higdon, Law and Humphrey should be doing.

you're meant to try and get the ball to your team mates.

standing on you tip toes and glancing the ball off the side your head so it runs through to the goalie is useless. he had one decent flick on to the right on saturday but the wee glancing headers are murder.

"Higdon has been one of our best signing in recent seasons "

A Change for the the best.

Although, I honestly can't think of a better SPL striker we've signed - excluding loans.

I can only think of 1 spl striker we've signed in the last 5 years so that's not saying much.Of our recent forwards Juke, Porter, Clarkson and Sutton were all better.Nothing against Higdon, he's a decent forward at this level and i actually thought he did ok against ICT but we've had and could have better.

standing on you tip toes and glancing the ball off the side your head so it runs through to the goalie is useless. he had one decent flick on to the right on saturday but the wee glancing headers are murder.

If someone made a run on to the ball it wouldn't go straight through to the goalkeeper. Look at all the top teams and alot of goals are scored buy playing ball to space and a runner getting on the end of it. It's not all about passing to your player with every pass.

Has it occured to you that his wee flicks into space are what McCall wants him to do, and what they practice on the training ground?

I'm not saying that it's working, as it's obviously not, but I pretty much guarantee you that the big man is only doing what the management team want him to do.

From firparkcorner .....Great post sums it up perfectly.

We have not won at home for nearly 4 months, we haven't even came close to winning in 4 months.

We have not had 1 good performance at home in 4 months. Yet all the excuse makers come up with drivel like " well we are doing well away from home " .Let me tell you ,you are all missing the point. We are in a false position and as I have said we are in freefall.

As far as our manager goes - Tell me what formation were we playing today, who was doing what. In the stands nobody understood what was going on.The only thing that was clear is that we didn't make their goalie have a save nor did we have a serious shot on goal.

the big hump up to Higdon, the knock down to nobody and we need to start again. This is a shambles. Watching 60 mins of failure and nothing gets done then he decides to try and change something.I am telling you we will struggle to finnish in the top six. FREEFALL FREEFALL FREEFALL. BUT FEEL FREE TO MAKE MORE EXCUSES.

I agree we are really struggling at the moment and have had some very bad results lately.

However have to disagree with your comment "we are in a false position" ? how the hell can you be in a false position in a league? the number of points you have and the place you have in the table is the correct position. any points gained earlier in the season are on the board to carry you through bad spells.

the league table dosn't and cant lie