Dundee United Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

Following the dismal performance and result at home to Inverness last Saturday I have a feeling that McCall may make some changes for this one.

I assume that Jennings will be recalled back into the midfield from the start, so I would personally go for a team that looks something like this;

Randolph in goals, a defensive back four of Hammell, Craigan, Hutchinson & Hateley, a midfield four of Law, Lasley, Jennings & Daley, and Higdon & Ojamaa up front.

I'd drop Murphy & Clancy to the bench.

I'm not sure that McCall would go for more than one man up front in reality right enough, but hopefully he does something different to shake things up a bit.

This is where he starts to earn his money.

Ill have my tin hat ready for this one!

Time for some changes, although unlikely...

Hammell, Craigan, Hutchinson & Hateley, a midfield four of Murphy, Lasley, Jennings & Humphrey, and Daley & Oj up front.

No chance of it happening but would love to see it in action..... ok Dundee Utd might be a tough place to try it, failing that Dunfirmline match at home on the following Tues.....

Keep Law, Higdon on the bench in case we want to revert back to type. :download:

There seems to be quite a lot of votes for change.

How about this then.

Randolph

Hateley Craigan Hammell

Humphrey Jennings Lasley Law

Ojamas Higdon McHugh

Humphrey,Law,Ojamas and McHugh will have to do a bit of chasing back but it should cut out long balls to Higdon as they should be able to pass through mid-field.

There seems to be quite a lot of votes for change.

How about this then.

Randolph

Hateley Craigan Hammell

Humphrey Jennings Lasley Law

Ojamas Higdon McHugh

Humphrey,Law,Ojamas and McHugh will have to do a bit of chasing back but it should cut out long balls to Higdon as they should be able to pass through mid-field.

Drop our best defender in Hutch. Aye right Auldyin.

We play the exact same players except we put Murphy in a front two with Higdon. Our best players ARE generally on the park every week. McCall just needs to set them up to attack. Especially at Fir Park.

spot on finlay get murphy beside higdon and law back to left midield would be ideal

Regardless of the players can we just play 4-4-2? Also dropping Hidgdon for a team with the height United half is suicide for set plays. Last time at Tannadice he scored twice and won every ball when they had a corner. So aye, any players from the first team squad shoe horned to a 4-4-2 (with Higdone as one of the 2) with nobody massively out of position will suit me.

Murphy, Law and Clancy dropped. Nothing against Clancy, he's not performed badly but we need Hateley back at right back. Murphy and Law need a boot up the arse, and tbh when they play we're 2 men down.

Randolph

Hateley Craigan Hutchinson Hammell

Humphrey Jennings Lasley Daley

Higdon Ojamma

Bad run is going to continue i'm afraid.....2-0 United.

Normally head up to Tannadice but giving it a bye this weekend. Don't think I can justify paying £20+ to watch this dross again.

Utd are starting to pick up a d have some decent players. Mackay-Steven looks the part, as does Russell and of course we will get the obligatory goal or two from Daly. Think it will be 3-0 Utd with our players looking even less interested than recent SPL games.

Team I'd like to see is

Randolph

Hately

Hutchison

Clancy

Hammell

Humphrey

Jennings

Lasley

Law

Higdon

McHugh

subs

Craigan

Carswell

Murphy

Ojamma

Daley

Page

Carswell can come on for Jennings if he running out of puff after few weeks of inaction and we have attacking options at least in Murphy, Ojamma and Daley.

McHugh playing as striker partner to Higdon, with Law and Humphrey licence to get up and support.

• Like 1

The punter that coined the phrase "one man team" probably didn't have a Scouse defensive midfielder in mind when he conjoured up the tagline and whilst I'm jesting ofcourse about the "one man team" bit, I think the return of Jenno will do so much for us.

That his return go some way to sorting out the balance of the midfield by freeing up Lasley to contribute in a more positive sense, it should strengthen the defence by getting Hateley back to where he performs best, illustrates how important he is for us.

Still several big decisions for McCall to make though.

I get the feeling as others have said recently, that he is guilty of trying to work his preferred players into the side and gamble on the balance of the team rather than go with an arguably weaker player playing in a more natural role.

Jennings return limits the scope for that to a slight degree but assuming the tried and trusted central two of Lasley and Jennings reconvene then he's still got to decide who from Humphrey, Daley, Murphy and Law are going to be playing wide or if he's going to put someone up alongside

It seems a little strange that when you think McCall had the guts to with two up front and two attack minded wide players on several occasions last season - some of which we blew teams away (Dundee Utd and St Johnstone 3-0 for example) that he appears so cautious of unleashing the same this term.

If it was me, whatever the choice of personnel I'd give that a stab on Saturday. Let's try to get that first goal and see what the confidence of scoring again and getting a lead can do for us.

The punter that coined the phrase "one man team" probably didn't have a Scouse defensive midfielder in mind when he conjoured up the tagline and whilst I'm jesting ofcourse about the "one man team" bit, I think the return of Jenno will do so much for us.

And I see its his favourite referee!

Giving this and the Dunfermline games a miss. I think we'll get gubbed 2-0 at Tannadice. They've been improving and we're crap especially up front. Every team we've beaten earlier in the season will be up for revenge and i just cant see anything here but a defeat. :wallbash:

Another train day.

For anyone that's interested, Scotrail and Sainsbury's are doing that voucher scheme they did a season or two ago (we played Inverness up there during it I'm sure), where you can get a return to Dundee for £19 rather than the £34 Scotrail are after without it.

Sainsbury's Deal

Buy your cargo for the train in a 'Sainsbury's Local', get your voucher, and away you go. Alternatively, if you fancy chancing that no one will actually ask to see your voucher on the day, the code is SAINSBURYS12.

• Like 1

You know how you often hear managers or players or even supporters of a particular team saying that they believe that they are due to give someone a right good hammering?

Well I think that about us ahead of Saturday, except in reverse. I can honestly see Dundee United taking five off us this weekend because unlike us they've got goals in that team and we'll no doubt give them plenty of opportunities to boost their goals for tally if our recent performances are anything to go by as we do our usual stand off their attackers and allow them to rain crosses into the box and cut our defence open.

5-0 to United