Dundee United Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

Well I think that about us ahead of Saturday, except in reverse. I can honestly see Dundee United taking five off us this weekend because unlike us they've got goals in that team and we'll no doubt give them plenty of opportunities to boost their goals for tally if our recent performances are anything to go by as we do our usual stand off their attackers and allow them to rain crosses into the box and cut our defence open.

5-0 to United

Cut and paste is a fantastic innovation isn't it :whistling:

Randolph

Hateley Hutchinson Craigan Hammell

Humphrey Lasley Jennings Law

Murphy Higdon

Back to basics for me. First choice back five which has been pretty solid for large spells this season. Hateley back to right back where he's at his best.

Get Las and Jennings back together in the middle, a good performance from them will be the foundation for another victory at Tannadice. I would Punt Law back to the left and get him on the ball in space where he can do damage. He has to stop coming inside so much to look for the ball when he's supposed to be outwide. Like on Saturday where he kept tucking in and left us with no natural width on the right and left Clancy with the almost impossible task of trying to be Dani Alves by forcing him to try and be right winger and right back with little support. Actually felt a bit sorry for Clancy on Saturday as I felt he was doing his best in an uncomfortable role he wasn't used to. And finally unleash the Humph! He's been poor this season but he had a good cameo against QP and looked sharp in the bounce match against Fleetwood setting up another goal. A long spell on the bench hopefully has him fired up and he should have space to do some damage in what should be an open match.

I would go 442 as above and I actually think McCall will go with my 11 but will start with Murphy on the left, Humphrey on the right and Law in a midfield three with Jennings and Lasley. Try and make us a bit more solid and not conceed an early goal type thing and try and grow into the game. Maybe not a bad idea given our recent form. United will probably come at us and it will give us a chance to play the counter attacking game that suits us. Hopefully we get more support to Higdon, think the first goal will be crucial so hopefully we'll get it.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result but I fancy us to suprise a few people with a good performance and a win. :cheers:

To those that want to drop Murphy - take a look at who has been scoring the few goals we've got recently. Then take a look at the squad goal tallies. Then remember back to the Dundee Utd game at Fir Park when Murphy was dropped and we gave probably our least penetrating attacking performance of a season filled with them.

Then when you've done that come to the conclusion that without Murphy in the side the chances of us scoring a goal drop by about 50%.

Another train day.

For anyone that's interested, Scotrail and Sainsbury's are doing that voucher scheme they did a season or two ago (we played Inverness up there during it I'm sure), where you can get a return to Dundee for £19 rather than the £34 Scotrail are after without it.

Sainsbury's Deal

Buy your cargo for the train in a 'Sainsbury's Local', get your voucher, and away you go. Alternatively, if you fancy chancing that no one will actually ask to see your voucher on the day, the code is SAINSBURYS12.

Just thought I'd bump this if anyone's swithering over going or not. You can pay £5+ for stuff in one of the wee 'local' stores in the city centre and get a voucher, then buy your ticket at Queen Street with it. So basically, you can purchase your train cargo from Sainbury's and then be on the train to Dundee for £15 less what you would have paid.

As always, the more 'Well fans in the away end the better!

• Like 1

Randolph

Hateley Hutchinson Craigan Hammell

Humphrey Lasley Jennings Law

Murphy Higdon

Back to basics for me. First choice back five which has been pretty solid for large spells this season. Hateley back to right back where he's at his best.

Get Las and Jennings back together in the middle, a good performance from them will be the foundation for another victory at Tannadice. I would Punt Law back to the left and get him on the ball in space where he can do damage. He has to stop coming inside so much to look for the ball when he's supposed to be outwide. Like on Saturday where he kept tucking in and left us with no natural width on the right and left Clancy with the almost impossible task of trying to be Dani Alves by forcing him to try and be right winger and right back with little support. Actually felt a bit sorry for Clancy on Saturday as I felt he was doing his best in an uncomfortable role he wasn't used to. And finally unleash the Humph! He's been poor this season but he had a good cameo against QP and looked sharp in the bounce match against Fleetwood setting up another goal. A long spell on the bench hopefully has him fired up and he should have space to do some damage in what should be an open match.

I would go 442 as above and I actually think McCall will go with my 11 but will start with Murphy on the left, Humphrey on the right and Law in a midfield three with Jennings and Lasley. Try and make us a bit more solid and not conceed an early goal type thing and try and grow into the game. Maybe not a bad idea given our recent form. United will probably come at us and it will give us a chance to play the counter attacking game that suits us. Hopefully we get more support to Higdon, think the first goal will be crucial so hopefully we'll get it.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result but I fancy us to suprise a few people with a good performance and a win. :cheers:

Cannot argue with that selection mate, exactly how we built up the points this season. I hope McCall can see this soon, Humph and Hateley work well this way, as do Hammell, Law and Murphy.

A wee appearance for Henrik in the 2nd half to build his confidence and possible get Omar on for The Lump.

St Johnstone taken the lead at Hibs. Could we dropping down to 5th today! The rot has well and truly set in :-(

I think Craigan must have some sort of record.

Hope I am wrong, but I think we needed to score 1st to take anything from this game.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/motherwell/2012/01/04/motherwell-captain-stephen-craigan-picks-up-unwanted-og-crown-after-ibrox-slip-86908-23678449/

Getting beaten at Tannadice is acceptable, as is playing one man up front for a full season at home and away. It doesn't matter that we are pi*h to watch and offer no entertainment - we will be at worst fith place tonight - what do people expect, we are punching above our weight!!

And don't dare blame Stuart McCall - remember he took us to a Scottish Cup Final last season that we failed to turn up in and showed no belief to win.

People should be grateful we are in the Premier League and sit back and accept the sh)te Stuart McCall is serving up to us. You never know we might turn it around in the 2nd half and paper over the cracks for another few weeks.

• Like 2