Motherwell Challenge Higdon 1 Match Ban Offer

gilmour

Motherwell challenge one-match ban facing Michael Higdon

_58073213_5935066.jpg Higdon hit a late equaliser for Motherwell at Tannadice on Saturday Michael Higdon is facing a one-match suspension for a gesture made during Saturday's draw at Tannadice - but Motherwell will challenge the decision.

The striker has been offered the ban by Scottish Football Association compliance officer Vincent Lunny.

Higdon has been accused of gesturing at his club's own fans after scoring in the 1-1 draw with Dundee United.

"The club will lodge the official appeal before 3pm tomorrow," Motherwell announced on their website.

"At which point the matter will be referred to the judicial panel with a fast track tribunal convened on Thursday, 26 January.

"The club will make no further comment until after that process has been complete."

However, 24 hourse earlier, manager Stuart McCall warned against "trial by Sportscene", questioning whether the compliance officer was making decisions from his own viewing of matches or from what is shown on BBC Scotland's Scottish Premier League highlights programme.

If you actually watch it, it's a half-hearted gesture, it's not with any malice, there's no swearing coming out of his mouth, he's not angry with anyone

Stuart McCall Motherwell manager And he claims the "half-hearted" act was not aimed at the Motherwell support and that there was no malice in the incident.

"It was highlighted in the TV programme and a couple of media guys have mentioned it," said McCall.

"But there is no way in a million years it's comparable to what's gone on beforehand. I know totally 100% that it wasn't aimed at any supporters.

"If you actually watch it, it's a half-hearted gesture, it's not with any malice, there's no swearing coming out of his mouth, he's not angry with anyone.

"I think it was a non-entity and it's not even worth talking about if I'm being honest."

Hibernian striker Leigh Griffiths has received one ban and has appealed against another already this season for making gestures during games against Rangers and Cowdenbeath.

Asked if he believes too many incidents are now being looked at since the introduction of the SFA's new disciplinary procedures, McCall said: "I think so.

"I think you've got to look at it and say that, because you could spend another 10 seconds on the build-up to the goal, the link play, the movement, rather than showing a half-hearted gesture.

"It's more about looking at digging up dirt if you like than showing the positive side of it.

"For me, it was nothing. I've seen incidents since I've been a kid and you'd look at things and go 'that's bad' or 'he can't get away with that'.

"Higdon's thing was nothing."

im not suprised with the ban, but it's getting out of hand.

If the players can receive bans after someone has watched a tv highlight, then it's long overdue that referee's are treated in a similar fashion. O'Reilly's performances are constantly criticised by fans up and down the country, but still continues to pick up good money each week.

Just seen the actual footage after ge scored. WTF? THAT is ban worthy? If anything it looked like a release of frustration after finally scoring, giving the earlier sitters he missed. Ridiculous. or did something else happen that isn't on the footage? Didn't a newspaper report say something about running towards the away fans?

I would question how these incidents are brought to Lunny's attention. If it's through the media he should be told to gtf as they're hardly impartial in choosing their highlights. He should also have to explain what is offensive about the celebration and to who. Crags does it after every win and Phil used to do it when he scored and nobody complained.

Glad to see the club appealing but I hope they go further if it's refused. Time to stand up to this nonsense, would never stand up in a court of law and someone needs to be the one who takes the SFA the full road. Neil Lennon would do it but they're scared shitless of him cos of last season and now won't go near his players. Vincent Lunny is hardly being impartial therefore.

• Like 1

I was actually for this when it first came out as I was of the understanding it was for serious offences that had been missed. It now seems that every single triviality is now up for instant bans. I Find it vastly unfair that the person charged with enforcing the rules is not under the same scrutiny. Also did they not try the same model as us in England and end up scraping it as it simply didnt work ?