Hammell – Make Me A Steelman For Life

postiejim

Jan 25 2012 by Andrew Weston, Wishaw Press

DEFENDER Steven Hammell wants to commit himself to Motherwell for the rest of his career.

Hammell is out of contract this summer but is desperate to end his playing days with the Steelmen.

He returned to Motherwell in January 2008 after an 18-month spell at Southend United.

Since then, he has been an ever-present at left-back and still believes his best years are in front of him.

I would love to stay here for the rest my career, he said this week.

As everyone knows, I love it here so it is definitely something that I would be keen to do.

Hopefully, my agent and the club can sit down soon and get something sorted in terms of a new contract.

I am still in my 20s - just! - and feel as though I have got a long time left in the game. I am getting better as I get older with the experience I pick up.

During his second spell at Motherwell, Hammell has competed in three European campaigns, helped the side to third place in the SPL in his first season back and played in last years Scottish Cup Final against Celtic.

He said: It has been a great few seasons at Motherwell and a lot of it is down to the fact we have good players at the club.

We dont have the biggest of squads compared to others but that core 1st XI is strong and we have now got good players coming off the bench.

We have also been lucky enough to have good managers in my time back at the club.

Currently Motherwell are in a three-horse race with St Johnstone and Hearts for third place, with the Saints visiting Fir Park this weekend.

Well have endured mixed fortunes against the Perth outfit, losing 3-0 at home back in September but exacting revenge last month courtesy of a 3-0 win at McDiarmid Park.

Rutherglen-born stopper Hammell has been impressed with St Johnstone this season and expects them to last the distance.

St Johnstone keep picking up results, he said. They showed the last time at Fir Park how good they are, although that was probably our poorest performance of the season.

He added: There is not much between the teams in the SPL but if you get the forwards playing well, which St Johnstone have been doing, coupled with a solid backline, then its a useful combination.

We are nearly in February now and are getting to the business-end of the season and they are still up there along with ourselves and Hearts.

They have kept the momentum going from when Derek McInnes left to when Stevie Lomas came in but it is up to us to try to put a bit of space between them and us.

Hopefully, if the fans turn out and get behind us we can win the game.

Meanwhile, Hammell praised new striker Henrik Ojamaa who has made a real impact at the club since signing a short-term deal earlier this month.

The 20-year-old scored on his debut against Queens Park and on Tuesday at home to Dunfermline in his first competitive start.

Hammell expects him to be popular with supporters.

He is really lively and makes good runs, he said. I think he could turn into a bit of a fans favourite. They have taken to him as well because of his all-action style. He is strong and gives everything.

I would offer him a decent contract. One of our best & most consistent performers every game and is well respected by his fellow players. I love the way he makes poor passes to him look decent with his ability to control the ball and is often used as an "out" by the team.

• Like 3

I thought him and Lasley had been offered one year deals and testimonials, or did I just dream that?

It was reported (on Twitter) that we had offered two players new contracts & a testimonials. Since nly two other players "qualify" for testimonials in the current squad people took it to mean Hammell and Lasley. Nothing was said of length of contract though I don't think.

Was it sticky??

:laugh: Not particularly.

it would be a bit of a slap in the face offering a 29 year old a one year deal.

and it makes no sense that we would have two testimonianls in the one season.

I agree with your first point but because you offer them testimonials at the same time doesn't mean they need to be in the same year. It could be an agreement for a testimonial in the future.

It was reported (on Twitter) that we had offered two players new contracts & a testimonials. Since nly two other players "qualify" for testimonials in the current squad people took it to mean Hammell and Lasley. Nothing was said of length of contract though I don't think.

My memory was hazy in the issue I just thought I remembered something which was why I asked. I probably added the length of contract in :lol: . But aye I was just looking for clarification so cheers.