Uncle Phil

Motherwell Seagull

Guest JohnnyDefault

Fully understood mate.

The communication gripes are not for this thread and most understand your position in the whole situation.

Lets leave it at that and hope that whatever happens on the 27th is fitting.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papaguigz
The best tribute for phil is for as many people as possible to come to the ICT game get right behind the team and roar them on to victory.

I'm pretty sure Phils family and friends would much prefer that and for them to be able to remember thier Husband/father/son/brother in thier own way.

I'm sure many of you out there know the first anniversary is the most difficult especially at this time of year

I disagree. For those of us who were there last year it is something that we will never forget, and nor should we. Phil O'Donnell had claret and amber coursing through his veins, and, maybe above anything else, stood for the family values that this club holds dear. The reaction to his death, and the coming together afterwards by all Steelmen was one of the most emotional things I've ever felt. We must absolutely mark his passing, and never, ever take for granted what a fine man was part of all our families for all too brief a time.

The best tribute for Phil is for as many people as possible to come to the OCT game get right behind the team and roar them on to victory.

I'm pretty sure Phil's family and friends would much prefer that and for them to be able to remember their Husband/father/son/brother in thier own way.

I'm sure many of you out there know the first anniversary is the most difficult especially at this time of year

I disagree. For those of us who were there last year it is something that we will never forget, and nor should we. Phil O'Donnell had claret and amber coursing through his veins, and, maybe above anything else, stood for the family values that this club holds dear. The reaction to his death, and the coming together afterwards by all Steelmen was one of the most emotional things I've ever felt. We must absolutely mark his passing, and never, ever take for granted what a fine man was part of all our families for all too brief a time.

There is a suggestion here that people who for whatever reason could not be there would somehow be less affected by the tragedy of that day, I'm sure that no-one in Scottish football whichever club they follow will forget. However although Phil was a huge part of our footballing family and indeed a true gentleman, the priority here must be to his flesh and blood family.

By all means mark his passing in whatever way you wish but we must at all times be mindful of The O'Donnell's and their wishes, That is at the heart of the family values that this club holds dear.

In all the latest pandmonium, suggestion and counter-suggestion as to why the team is playing badly etc. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before but one of the real mainstays of the side last season was Phil O'Donnell and we are truly missing his box to box style of play which helped link back to middle to front. Even getting onto the veteran age his true class always shone through when he played. We just don't have anyone at the club who can provide the quality of football and enthusiasm that Phil brought and he is a really big miss.

In all the latest pandmonium, suggestion and counter-suggestion as to why the team is playing badly etc. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before but one of the real mainstays of the side last season was Phil O'Donnell and we are truly missing his box to box style of play which helped link back to middle to front. Even getting onto the veteran age his true class always shone through when he played. We just don't have anyone at the club who can provide the quality of football and enthusiasm that Phil brought and he is a really big miss.

Yeah 100% true - Over the last few months I think it is even more noticeable about how much we miss Phil in the middle of the park.

Just to add our Main Stand still hasn't officially been opened could we not ask AC Milan after or before they play Rangers its a bit weird sitting in a stand that officially hasn't been opened

It has been opened, just not re-named. I wouldn't like to re-name it against them. It would have to be a team who have had the same kind of thing happen or a club with strong ties to O'Donnell.

Just saw this on the offishal MFC site

A huddle for Phil! Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Pre-match tribute.

This Saturday’s match against Inverness Caledonian Thistle will mark the one year anniversary since legendary captain Phil O’Donnell tragically passed away.As well as a souvenir match programme remembering his life, the players will perform a pre-match huddle to pay their own respects. During that time, the management, players and staff would encourage all ‘Well fans to make as much noise as possible to pay proper tribute to a Motherwell great.

Then keep the noise and support going for the full ninety minutes and hopefully cheer the boys onto what would be a vital win.

Lets ave you all there dont care if your a fairweather big game fan or first timer come to the game , please

...the players will perform a pre-match huddle to pay their own respects. During that time, the management, players and staff would encourage all 'Well fans to make as much noise as possible...

The rammy during should be heard at the Airdrie v Morton game. If that's what they want, let's give them it. Let's take the roof off the place.

It's 2 days to go till the game, I appreciate that staff probably won't be back at work until Saturday, but that's the day of the game and it looks as if there has been no yes or no from the club regarding the minutes applause. I think the minutes applause is a good idea but seeing as the players are having the huddle before kick off perhaps the minutes applause could be done then. I know that it's important to take the wishes of the players into account and the O'Donnell family but do the club need to give permission for fans to clap their hands on the 78th minute of the game? What would happen if fans decided to do it anyway, there's not a lot the club could do about it. As it is, it seems that it might be too late for the club to give a yes/no and for the message to be passed to the fans.

I don't think there's a need as such, just that a few people have expressed the wish on the thread and it had been said that there would need to be feedback from Mfc before this could go ahead, as yet, I haven't seen any response on behalf of the club. I have actually tried to make some kind of contribution to the memorial fund, I went to the benefit night, I donated to the fund for the flag and I bought a couple of the dvds.

The point that I was trying to make was that people have asked if a minute's applause would be appropriate, they were told it would need to be run by the people at MFC and there hasn't been a response as yet which doesn't leave a lot of time for fans to be told yes or no.

The players with their huddle are having a public show of memorial. Of course they were closer to Phil than most of us were, but given that a lot of fans were at the game and saw what happened, perhaps fans just want to show some support for the players. So if the huddle has been given the ok, surely Motherwell can say yes or no to the fans before Saturday.

There has been a response... The players and management, after thought and consideration, have asked that they can perform a huddle to remember Phil whilst the fans shout, cheer, sing and remember themselves!

That is what the lads want - after that show of solidarity - they want that level of noise to continue into the game which will hopefully spur them on to a win and a vital three points!

That is the tribute they've asked the fans to take part in...

'Flow

Wherever you are, at 5.18 on Saturday, pause for a minute. I know I will be.

I'll be in the East Stand hopefully pausing to reflect on Phil and a comprehensive well victory, I wasn't there that day but I'm told the football was fanatstic maybe it wil be again.

Think the huddle is a nice idea. Gives the team time together with their own thoughts and the fans a chance for the minutes applause.

Been thinkingabout Phil's family today, the first Christmas without him will no doubt be the most horrible for them. Hopefully they get through it ok and have all their family round them to ease the pain a little.

An emotional day for everyone, huddle is a nice touch, as that was how they returned to the pitch against Hearts last year, the atmosphere that day was amazing too, hopefully it will be the same on sat, i was there at that game, the football was incredible, absolutely unbeleivable, so sad that it was cruelly ended :lol: