Uncle Phil

Motherwell Seagull

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe that's been a year.

Was one of the most horrid threads ever to develop on here - Bop putting stuff up as it happened. Just doesn't seem like a year already...

RIP Phil, thoughts are with your family at this time.

My thoughts are with his young family every day.

Suppose Phil played such a major part in what was the best day of my life, back in '91, that he instantly achieved permanent hero status in my little mind. Even when he signed for the Tims I bore him no grudge.

Beit a year, or ten or more down the line since that tragic December day, I will never come to terms with the loss of the man, and a fine man he was.

Excellent vid, brings it all back, as did the look on Clarksons face as he looked at the Shirt banner on saturday,

im awful at these kind of things, so if anyone better at PHotoshop etc wants to alter then fair enough, but i gave this a wee go

post-462-1230660338_thumb.jpg

R.I.P. Uncle Phil, our Captain, Our Hero

Thanks for that mate... I was holding it together perfectly well there until i saw faddy's celebration of him pointing to his armband with tears in his eyes.

I miss Phil

I love faddy

Really lovely tribute that video. Very emotional - and yeah when Faddy points to his armband - that's what really gets me started.

Was looking through historical e-mails from last year around this time, and wanted to share this piece from an English newspaper...Apologies if some of you have read it before....

James McFadden's tears

Middlesbrough 0 Everton 2

mcfadden-orig_260813a.jpg.

James McFadden elevated a mundane match into the realms of poignancy yesterday, scoring a memorable goal for Everton and then grabbing the black armband worn in honour of Phil O'Donnell and pointing to the heavens. McFadden was rising through the ranks at Motherwell when O'Donnell was in his first spell at Fir Park; amid all its bluster, football hailed one of its own.

McFadden broke down at the Riverside Stadium, moved by the minute's recognition of the midfield player who died of heart failure on Saturday and then crying on his substitution in the 80th minute. In between, he scored a goal that helped to lift his club into fifth place in the table but, understandably, the Scotland international's thoughts were elsewhere.

"I had a feeling I was going to get a goal today and that if I did I was going to dedicate it to Phil," McFadden said. "In the end, it was the right thing to do because I have not been able to see any of his family. I have passed on my regards to them, but I felt that this was the way I wanted to pay my respects to him. My wife is friendly with his niece and me with his nephews, and I'll see them as soon as possible.

"I shed a tear when I came off towards the end. It was such an emotional occasion, with a silence that turned into applause before the game. It has been so shocking. It is difficult to get your head around that he is dead; you can't imagine what his family are going through. He was a great player and one of the nice guys of football. What's happened is a tragedy."