Uncle Phil

Motherwell Seagull

i was sitting in JD's when someone next to me got a text from his missus that worked at the hospital. The place went from jubilation at the result to utter despair within 5 mins.

That feeling, and Uncle Phil will live long in my memory.

Gone but never forgotten.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it not be as appropriate for everyone to make a donation to a charity advocated by the O Donnell family?Minutes tributes are good but think of Phils family whatever happens at least one will be there and i am sure David Clarkson has had enough of thes while im sure no one least of all him will ever forget his Uncle or anything he done .

wat about 30 secs at the start and another 30 on the 78th min

i thinks thats going a bit far, breaking up a minutes silence seems a bit confusing. i agree that something should be done, Mibby before the game or after, during the game might not be a great idea, especialy if DC is on, might be a bit too emotional for him as previously mentioned.

Buying a DVD next chance i get Frazzl ;)

Personally, I'm not in favour of marking the anniversary. For the sake of the O'Donnell family, I think it's time we moved on. A permanent memorial in time would be a great thing, but (and again this is only my gut instinct here) this will be a difficult enough time for the family without being reminded of last December's tragedy in a very public way...

Personally, I'm not in favour of marking the anniversary. For the sake of the O'Donnell family, I think it's time we moved on. A permanent memorial in time would be a great thing, but (and again this is only my gut instinct here) this will be a difficult enough time for the family without being reminded of last December's tragedy in a very public way...

Mate i know what your saying but I'm sure Phil's family would also like him not to be forgotten about.Then again maybe its an idea to ask his family what they would like and let them decide if they want a public anniversary of his death or just a personal one?

I'm drunk ok. But even though people are understandably trying not to upset the O'Donnell family, we'r all partly in the O'Donnell family now.

While understanding, you were drunk when you posted this, I think it's one of the most offensive things I've ever read. At a time when his children are having to deal with their first christmas without their father, I think it's time to reconsider your definition of distraught...

Unless the family come out and say they don't want anything to happen, then I think everyone can choose how to mark the anniversary (or not).

I planning to go to the ground on the 29th by myself, for myself if others do the the same then that's up to them.

We'll all have different ways to deal with the anniversary and we should respect the ways everyone needs to show there respects.

Well that was just about the stupidest thing ive ever posted on here. Completely the opposite of what i was trying to put accross, and i probably shouldnt post in future after a couple bottles of rose. Sorry for any offence there. :(

Well that was just about the stupidest thing ive ever posted on here. Completely the opposite of what i was trying to put accross, and i probably shouldnt post in future after a couple bottles of rose. Sorry for any offence there. :P

Fair play, big man. Didn't want to come across as confrontational. We've all come out with nonsense when we're drunk. Lucky when I'm drunk I can't even type...

I planning to go to the ground on the 29th by myself, for myself if others do the the same then that's up to them..

Sounds like a plan mate, I'll be there too.

I had my shirt printed "Uncle Phil 10" (it was going to be "O'Donnell 10" but the club shop had no apostrophes left) for the Hearts cup game in January and, apart from the day of the game in Nancy, it's been in retirement. I'll probably wear it to the ICT game, though it will be under the heaviest jacket I own (it's the end of December after all).

Other than that, I'm content to let it go. I'll be fully involved in any tribute/applause/silence if one does take place but I do agree with Melvin Bragg when he said...

... For the sake of the O'Donnell family, I think it's time we moved on. A permanent memorial in time would be a great thing, but (and again this is only my gut instinct here) this will be a difficult enough time for the family without being reminded of last December's tragedy in a very public way...

That said, I think an applause on 78 minutes (as suggested) with no prior announcement or fuss may just be subtle enough and meaningful enough to convey our thoughts of respect for Phil and condolence to his family without being over-bearing.