Uncle Phil

Motherwell Seagull

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was just about the stupidest thing ive ever posted on here. Completely the opposite of what i was trying to put accross, and i probably shouldnt post in future after a couple bottles of rose. Sorry for any offence there. :ph34r:

Rose?

Come on man.

I think how everyone deals with it is upto that individual person. The problem (and danger) of organising something like this on a grand scale is that someone will disagree or perhaps be offended.

On the 29th I will deal with it in my own way, probably heading to the ground and just being on my own with my thoughts like i was a year before.

As for at the ICT game, perhaps just bringing the banner out at half time and doing an applause then? I don't think the players or anyone else needs reminded of it.

Everyone is different though...

I wouldnt be doing anything too public. It was a very sad day for everyone but you need to put things behind you. Maybe an applause at the match but I would leave it at that. These things are far better passing without anything too public.

The majority of us didnt know Phil O'Donnell personally so I dont see the huge need to remember his death with some sort of huge gesture.

If you feel that you really need to do something then do something like Cakes above which is not public but will still let him feel he is doing his wee mark of respect.

I think a mass public gesture would be very cringeworthy to be honest.

I know the above isnt many peoples point of view so shoot me down if you wish!

I think a mass public gesture would be very cringeworthy to be honest.

I know the above isnt many peoples point of view so shoot me down if you wish!

Nah, I agree--no need to go overboard. Much as I don't want to sound like that ignorant woman who had a rant at the time about Phil's death in whatever rag it was, some of the orchestrated things that people do in these situations can sometimes seem more geared towards garnering media coverage than suitably memorialising the person in question. And Phil certainly seemed like the sort of person wouldn't have wanted any fuss.

Whilst I can see why some folk would have a minutes appluase, it could look really silly were we to lose a goal or had a man sent off or something. We've had plenty of chances to show that Phil is still in our thoughts and we've still got the match to officially name the old Main Stand still to happen. I'll be taking a back step and allow those who knew him to pay attention and give them the privacy to pay their respects. I'll pay my own respects by remembering his achievements as a play with a quiet moment or two whatever I'm doing that day.

The best tribute for phil is for as many people as possible to come to the ICT game get right behind the team and roar them on to victory.

I'm pretty sure Phils family and friends would much prefer that and for them to be able to remember thier Husband/father/son/brother in thier own way.

I'm sure many of you out there know the first anniversary is the most difficult especially at this time of year

We've had plenty of chances to show that Phil is still in our thoughts and we've still got the match to officially name the old Main Stand still to happen.

Is that still gonna happen? Maybe someone more "in the know" can enlighten us?

Guest JohnnyDefault

Whilst I don't think the minutes applause on 78mins would be the crime of the century - (I actually think it would be a good way for the supporters to show something as a unit).

Like many many things so far this season we could be doing with a wee bit of a lead from the club.

Someone mentioning to the playing staff - the supporters are talking about 'this' - how would you feel if they did 'this' and giving us a step for a hint.

Motherwell supporters were badly affected by this and we all want to show some sort of fittiing appreciation. However every single one of us knows that the family come first. i'm sure the fans don't want to upset them.

All it would take is someone from the club who has read this to kick off a conversation - with McGhee or Craggs or Clarky and let us know in some way whether what people are proposing would be appreciated or not.

If it's a - 'yeah - that would be great' - we'd do it. If it was 'no please don't it would be too upsetting' we wouldnt

Communication from the Club .....that will be a first !!!!

As everyone in the ground at ICT knows the significance I think you'll find an unofficial minutes silence will happen anyway as we all remember.

And the game for the naming of the main stand ..... lost its meening a wee bit after this time.

Hope we can get a statue or permanent memorial in place soon.

Guest JohnnyDefault

A statue of Phil wheeling away from scoring that goal in '91 would be great.

Anybody know if anybody's even thought about this yet? How much does a comission cost?

The permanent memorial WILL happen. Unfortunately, due to poor DVD sales, we're having to have another event in February, so the memorial won't be about for a few months yet.

On the subject of the minutes applause/silence/whatever, the Trust elected not to promote this as an organisation. That's not to say that we don't support the notion individually - personally I think it would be a poignant tribute - but that we didn't want to be involved in anything that may distract the players, keeping in mind their own comments at the Tam Cowan night in April (DVDs available now, if you haven't heard B))

Frazzle

FYI

I have ran the 78th minute applause idea past Capitano Cragster and he thinks it is a great idea (and he should be back for the ICT game). He also thinks we should run it past the club as he doesn't think they would have anything against this and would probably like the idea.

Cheers

Lanky ;)

Guest JohnnyDefault
FYI

I have ran the 78th minute applause idea past Capitano Cragster and he thinks it is a great idea (and he should be back for the ICT game). He also thinks we should run it past the club as he doesn't think they would have anything against this and would probably like the idea.

Cheers

Lanky ;)

Superb Lankster - If only one of the Well Communication Officers were able to read this thread / board and make a comment (he says scratching his head)

I suppose we can only go with the Flow

Superb Lankster - If only one of the Well Communication Officers were able to read this thread / board and make a comment (he says scratching his head)

I suppose we can only go with the Flow

I have read it, along with the rest of the thread and spoke with Stephen Craigan about it at lunch this afternoon.

What you and others have got to understand is that this and everything the club does surrounding Phil O'Donnell has to be given the blessing by a number of people. That is still happening but I hope, on behalf of the club, to give a clearer indication of the relevant wishes post Hamilton Accies.

Sorry if that is not quick enough for you...

'Flow

I have read it, along with the rest of the thread and spoke with Stephen Craigan about it at lunch this afternoon.

What you and others have got to understand is that this and everything the club does surrounding Phil O'Donnell has to be given the blessing by a number of people. That is still happening but I hope, on behalf of the club, to give a clearer indication of the relevant wishes post Hamilton Accies.

'Flow

That's cool, as long as it is being discussed then we are happy for you to take the necessary action. There seems to be a panic by some people, but as long as we know before the ICT game that should be suitable for all! Thanks Flow!

Lanky

Guest JohnnyDefault
I have read it, along with the rest of the thread and spoke with Stephen Craigan about it myself at lunch this afternoon.

'Flow

No that's fine mate! Thanks

You need to learn to suss out when someones on your side and when they're not. Have a chat with SCDave about me. That wasn't a dig - it was a lighthearted comment as I would imagine that you were already 'on it'.

You don't answer to me at all and I think your job is a very difficult one - I take my hat off to you for what you've achieved to date - with many things that you seem to have an input on.

I'm fully understand and am aware its a pretty sensitive subject and appreciate what you need to do.

But see if I was being picky and being an arse - What you actually did say in the post there you could have said several months ago never mind today.

We all understand where you're coming from.

I know you weren't having a dig mate... Far from it! Just frustrated by the continued, incessant, never-ending abuse dished out on here! The break from the site has only served to make things even worse...

Just on that subject and I am obviously cautious to take the thread away from what it should be about, remembering Uncle Phil, it is very, very easy for people to come on here with no proper insight and shoot off about what should be done and when. I know how easy it is... I used to do it.

However, when you are on the other side of the fence you don't, all of a sudden, become a recluse that has no intention of getting information out quickly or getting the fans' side across. I can assure you, I've spent the last 15 months trying to do just that but there is so many in's and out's that have to be circumnavigated which makes it a whole lot more difficult than it would appear from the outside.

What I would love, in a perfect world, is everyone on here and in the 'Well support to spend some time on 'the other side' and see just how things are when you work at the club. I think it would give people a whole new outlook on things!

I try and get information out as soon as I can - Hell, I see moans about the dreaded 'communication' on here all the time and it so frustrating for me because I see myself as responsible for that. I update the website as often as I can (we had 29 different articles on the site last week. Compare that to other SPL websites, only Rangers and Hearts can claim to have anything like the amount of updates we do) and that is sandwiched in between other jobs I do - mostly with the new matchday programme and the press. I hope everyone in the 'Well support has noticed a marked improved in the volume of coverage we're getting this year as compared to any other. We now have two weekly press conferences that are well attended and that doesn't happen on its own... It takes a massive amount of time, organisation and preparation. The programme is another which I firmly believe has improved 100% since the start of the campaign... So much so we get compliments from just about every visiting team on it...

Going off at a tangent here but the main crux of my point is that whilst everyone wants quick fire communication (I try my best to get every bit of information I have out to you all as soon as I can) but it isn't always as black and white as you may think...

The Phil O'Donnell situation is a cast iron perfect example of such!

'Flow

What I would love, in a perfect world, is everyone on here and in the 'Well support to spend some time on 'the other side' and see just how things are when you work at the club. I think it would give people a whole new outlook on things!

When are you next on holiday? I want to cover for you :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think a lot of people on here do appreciate the work you and the club have done but as you know yourself people just love a good moan!

Thanks again

Lanky