Surely Thats An End To The Bitching

ankles

Folk need to take a reality check here. Our wee team are (and have been for most of the season) in 3rd spot in the SPL and have a right good chance of bringing us European football to FP again. A club in our position deserves to be pulling in more fans than we are at present - geez if Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs were where are and have been for a number of seasons now they'd probably be filling their grounds.

IMO the club has the solid makings of a right good squad of players at present - a right good base of solid dependable players plus some with no little skill and flair that can win games for us. I just hope we can manage to hold onto all of them and maybe add a few more in the close season. I've always believed that the time to strengthen is when you are in a strong position and that you need to speculate to accumulate.

I believe we have now become a really settled SPL football club which now (righlty) sees itself as a top six club as opposed to a bottom six club and this is a magnet to attract good players together with the fact that FP seems to be a place where players are happy - every new player that has come to the club speaks highly of the great atmosphere at the club and in the dressing room. Also young players coming to the club do get their chance at the first team unlike at bigger clubs and that too is a good draw for them coming to FP.

Having said all of that I appreciate that we have and probably will continue to suffer from a serious lack of funding and that it won't be easy for us to repeatedly do what we are doing season after season but as others have said, take a deep breath, suck it in and enjoy what we have at present.

• Like 1

The reason some folk come to the fitba is to take a week of henpecking out on some poor wee fitba player. It's one of the few enjoyments they have in life - the bullied becoming the bully.

No ammount of reasoning will ever change it.

Some folk just enjoy the opportunity of being abusive

The reason some folk come to the fitba is to take a week of henpecking out on some poor wee fitba player. It's one of the few enjoyments they have in life - the bullied becoming the bully.

No ammount of reasoning will ever change it.

Some folk just enjoy the opportunity of being abusive

Precisely, perhaps I was too young to fully know the ins and outs of this, but if they didn't see the error of their ways after wanting Tommy McLean out after he lead us to a Scottish Cup victory and before he lead us so close to the league in 1994, they never will.

Folk need to take a reality check here. Our wee team are (and have been for most of the season) in 3rd spot in the SPL and have a right good chance of bringing us European football to FP again. A club in our position deserves to be pulling in more fans than we are at present - geez if Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs were where are and have been for a number of seasons now they'd probably be filling their grounds.

IMO the club has the solid makings of a right good squad of players at present - a right good base of solid dependable players plus some with no little skill and flair that can win games for us. I just hope we can manage to hold onto all of them and maybe add a few more in the close season. I've always believed that the time to strengthen is when you are in a strong position and that you need to speculate to accumulate.

I believe we have now become a really settled SPL football club which now (righlty) sees itself as a top six club as opposed to a bottom six club and this is a magnet to attract good players together with the fact that FP seems to be a place where players are happy - every new player that has come to the club speaks highly of the great atmosphere at the club and in the dressing room. Also young players coming to the club do get their chance at the first team unlike at bigger clubs and that too is a good draw for them coming to FP.

Having said all of that I appreciate that we have and probably will continue to suffer from a serious lack of funding and that it won't be easy for us to repeatedly do what we are doing season after season but as others have said, take a deep breath, suck it in and enjoy what we have at present.

Pretty much. If stay away fans can't make the effort to get along to Fir Park these days then they never will. I'm sure they will be at the away leg if we make Europe again/cup final though. These folk annoy me more than the abuse shouters. There are literally thousands of stay away fans (you can't even call them "fair weather" fans anymore as I can't remember our league position ever being this consistently high) compared only about a dozen abuse shouters.

Pretty much. If stay away fans can't make the effort to get along to Fir Park these days then they never will. I'm sure they will be at the away leg if we make Europe again/cup final though. These folk annoy me more than the abuse shouters. There are literally thousands of stay away fans (you can't even call them "fair weather" fans anymore as I can't remember our league position ever being this consistently high) compared only about a dozen abuse shouters.

Maybe if the atmosphere wasnt so poisonous at times our home performances were better and we were winning games turning Fir Park into a fortress people would come back.

I live in Ayrshire and had got out the habit of going to the arc regularly but the start we made to the season encouraged me to come back. However, listening to the crazy abuse some players were getting and seeing the players performances slide at FP as a result I stopped again as it just wasnt enjoyable.

However, after the last 2 performances and ATMOSPHERE I will be back on Saturday hoping that we can keep the positivity going.

Its not rocket science. Supporters support, the clues in the name!

If you dont like the performance fair enough but save it til the end of the game. Never saw a player get better by giving him dogs abuse in 40 years watching the Well.

Maybe if the atmosphere wasnt so poisonous at times our home performances were better and we were winning games turning Fir Park into a fortress people would come back.

I live in Ayrshire and had got out the habit of going to the arc regularly but the start we made to the season encouraged me to come back. However, listening to the crazy abuse some players were getting and seeing the players performances slide at FP as a result I stopped again as it just wasnt enjoyable.

However, after the last 2 performances and ATMOSPHERE I will be back on Saturday hoping that we can keep the positivity going.

Its not rocket science. Supporters support, the clues in the name!

If you dont like the performance fair enough but save it til the end of the game. Never saw a player get better by giving him dogs abuse in 40 years watching the Well.

There are people in the East Stand who consistently seem to have a negative attitude towards the team, pick on individual players no matter what they do and hurl abuse that goes way over the top for 90 minutes. But let's not exaggerate. I'd say that each section has only a handful of them and therefore the East Stand is home to maybe 30 individuals.

But I've never seen a Motherwell side booed on to the park. The mood of the crowd is decided by the standard of play and generally the Fir Park crowd does what any crowd does. Applauds when it sees something it judges good, and boos when it sees something it judges bad. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And regardless of league position or results the quality of entertainment at Fir Park this season has been poor. We have struggled to score goals, to break teams down, played with one up front, played at a slow tempo, tried to pass the ball around with inconsistent results.

It's no surprise the atmosphere has either been poor or on occasion hostile.

Over the last two matches we have played much better and surprise, surprise, the atmosphere in the ground has been quite different.

I think generally, excluding those individuals, the crowd is quite happy to support the team when it sees the team trying to win, playing entertaining football, creating chances, scoring goals - the problem is we hadn't been doing that until the last couple of games.

One thing we've lacked for years is a positive support, we used to enjoy backing even when the team weren't performing cos the fans understood we're a small club battling against bigger and richer opponents. Generally speaking we have outperformed many of those teams to such an extent many fans believe we should expect the same year in year out. Only those of a certain vintage remember our place in the bigger scheme of things and behave accordingly, too many have ideas above their station IMO hence we get negativity towards a team responsible for producing one of the best campaigns we could hope for at this stage of a season.

• Like 3

One thing we've lacked for years is a positive support, we used to enjoy backing even when the team weren't performing cos the fans understood we're a small club battling against bigger and richer opponents. Generally speaking we have outperformed many of those teams to such an extent many fans believe we should expect the same year in year out. Only those of a certain vintage remember our place in the bigger scheme of things and behave accordingly, too many have ideas above their station IMO hence we get negativity towards a team responsible for producing one of the best campaigns we could hope for at this stage of a season.

Nothing to do with three quarters of the home matches being dire this season?

As for your candy coated past I have to laugh. There were regular McLean Out demonstrations after matches in front of the main stand and the current situation doesn't even remotely compare to the Davies era when things really did get out of hand.

When was the last time a crowd of a couple of hundred Motherwell fans stood in front of the main stand and hurled abuse and, on occasion, missiles, at officials, staff and players? Not for a long time, not since the 'the good old days' in fact.

Even Maurice Malpas got off lightly compared to some of those that came before him.

Only those of a certain vintage remember our place in the bigger scheme of things and behave accordingly, too many have ideas above their station IMO hence we get negativity towards a team responsible for producing one of the best campaigns we could hope for at this stage of a season.

Can't agree with that. It is not usually your teenager or early 20's guy shouting the abuse at these players. It is those that should no better - your 35-40+ that in my experience that do.

35-40 would be right cos it started after we won the cup in 1991, I never mentioned teenagers or early 20s. Those good old days Ya Bezzer mentioned were before even the TomTom demonstrations. For me everything turned on it's head in 1991, all of a sudden we were a team, one to be respected and revered whereas previously we were just happy to survive. Expectations rose after that Cup win and our support has never been the same towards the side, just my view mind.

Aye these guys should know better cos they could probably remember the bad old days when we were continually shite, candy coated memories of bygone days aye right :rolleyes:

• Like 1

35-40 would be right cos it started after we won the cup in 1991, I never mentioned teenagers or early 20s. Those good old days Ya Bezzer mentioned were before even the TomTom demonstrations. For me everything turned on it's head in 1991, all of a sudden we were a team, one to be respected and revered whereas previously we were just happy to survive. Expectations rose after that Cup win and our support has never been the same towards the side, just my view mind.

Aye these guys should know better cos they could probably remember the bad old days when we were continually shite, candy coated memories of bygone days aye right :rolleyes:

1991 was a significant year in that it also saw the Shed replaced with the East Stand. At a stroke the focal point for like minded souls in the support to congregrate at was gone.

People who used to meet up at the fence suddenly found themselves displaced across a section which now ran the full length of a pitch instead of just half of it.

If we could have built on that Cup win in 1991 who knows it might have been different but the more that season went on and the more disappointments that came the more sour the atmosphere and mood became. I don't think its anywhere near as bad now as it was in some of those seasons in the 1990's but for some that characteristic of turning on the team or a player has always bubbled away under the surface.

That's why I think its been so refreshing to see the energy that the guys up the top of the East Stand put into these days to foster a positive atmosphere. It's as close to emulating that vibe at the fence as we've had in years.

The fence at times was a scary place but at least you had the fence, turn the other way and you had the opposition fans beside you with a fine division between, now that was the scary place. Although times have changed and the younger generation is a lot safer in a stand for our own fans, the buzz is not anywhere near as much as it used to be being a home fan at Fir Park. Appreciated it is a much safer place and a family atmosphere at the club, so the young guys get more of a buzz on away trips. The home games seem to be to try and get that atmosphere into Fir Park and 10 outa 10 for them trying