The Well Society

stuwell

I know there is already a thread concerning the well society but given todays apparent attempts to sell players and the following two posts on the in/outs thread, I thought I'd start a new thread – Mods please feel free to merge this if you wish.

"The Society simply has to work, we need to make it work cos frankly we have no other option. There are no buyers out there as already said, certainly none to be trusted, so it's up to us and no-one else. Do we want to effectively own our club or not? I'll struggle but I'll find the money to do my bit in keeping the club out of the hands of some fly by night in the future, if there are any out there."

"A know it's off on a tangent, but does anyone know how many have signed up to the Well society so far? Someone on FPC said it was 100 afew days ago, which is a wee bit worrying."

Both of these statements are 100% correct from what I've heard.

My understanding of things is that if the society fails to reach its target the club will indeed be put up for sale.

It's my belief that todays attempts to move players on were made in an attempt to give the society time to work

I understand that by the end of march at the latest, they need to get either approx £300000 in the bank or have enough people signed up and paying that amount by instalments to cover the running of the club. Failure to do so will result in the board having to look for a buyer and remember whatever the sale price is, the money will go to JB - as was agreed when he gifted the shares to Motherwell to give the idea of a society run club the chance to work.

At the end of last season JB could have washed his hands of the club, put it up for sale and taken any offer he fancied. Instead he gave us this chance to turn the club into something unique.

I for one never wish to see collection buckets to stave off adminstration outside Fir Park again and although I've not yet signed up I will have done so before the end of Febuary.

I'd urge everyone to think long and hard about whether they can afford it and if so, what kind of a future they want to see for the club – time is running out. We don't have 5 months - nevermind 5 years – to make a decision, it must be made now and as motherwell's supporters it is us and those who follow us that will have to live with the outcome of our decisions.

• Like 2

The Society has only been up and running for what seems like 5 minutes and I find it hard to believe we are in as perilous a position as you make out.

Are you really surprised that the number of people who can afford to essentially gift the Club money are few and far between?

The Society is a noble idea and I hope it can work but in the current climate I don't think many Motherwell fans and afford it, it's a simple as that.

As far as selling players goes, we always have and always will be a selling Club.

At the end of last season JB could have washed his hands of the club, put it up for sale and taken any offer he fancied. Instead he gave us this chance to turn the club into something unique.

I remain to be convinced that he wouldnt have done that had there been anyone willing to buy. It was no great secret he wanted out and had been inviting offers . Had Tommy Coakley came calling last year would he have been refused ? Nobody is interested in buying MFC and that IMO is why JB (eventually) decided on getting out this way.

Quite agree that its put up or shut up time for the fans , nobody else is going to put the money in.

It's a bold initiave and one we should support if we can.

The timing of the FSA approval is horrible for the club - a good couple of months prior to Christmas would have been way better than the turn of the year. Where people families have made financial outlays and are trying to get on their feet again.

So not everyone is gonna be in the position to commit.

I still think too many folk think 300 nicker is gonna get them a seat on the board.

If you can get involved with the Well Society then I would urge anyone interested to do so asap. All the information about dates and money to be raised is on the letter/folder that has been sent out to most fans.

I know that the minimum subscription level for an adult is £300 but for interested parties this can be split into four payments of (for example) £50, £50, £100, and £100 and so on.

I think as long as they have your commitment March yoy can still pay in installments.

• Like 1

Some good posts. The timing of the recruitment drive was far from pefect but that was largley outwith the club's control. Money is tight for many and thats a fact. However, like others I don't want to think about the alternative of putting the club up for sale. The club is not in any short term financial pickle but long term the Society will have benefits. I've been able to sign already and would urge others to do the same IF they can afford to. I know quite a few who are saving up to join. However its a personal decision.

It's a bold initiave and one we should support if we can.

The timing of the FSA approval is horrible for the club - a good couple of months prior to Christmas would have been way better than the turn of the year. Where people families have made financial outlays and are trying to get on their feet again.

So not everyone is gonna be in the position to commit.

I still think too many folk think 300 nicker is gonna get them a seat on the board.

Couldn't have picked a worse time financially to launch the well Society,a lot of fans just wont have the cash ,remember that a lot of fans will also be buying a season ticket so were then talking about needing close to £600 ,its a big ask for a lot of us.

Some good posts. The timing of the recruitment drive was far from pefect but that was largley outwith the club's control. Money is tight for many and thats a fact. However, like others I don't want to think about the alternative of putting the club up for sale. The club is not in any short term financial pickle but long term the Society will have benefits. I've been able to sign already and would urge others to do the same IF they can afford to. I know quite a few who are saving up to join. However its a personal decision.

All these points are very good which is why I am going to be 50/50 whether I join or not. Firstly, the timing is shocking which people has said is outwith the club's control and I totally understand that. There is nothing I want more than to join this society but as has already been stated Christmas is just out of the way. Personally I am moving in to a house which I have to decorate and furnish from literally scratch. If I had until July then it wouldn't have been an issue but March is going to be a very tight squeeze. 300 quid doesn't seem much these days but with timing like this it feels like trying to raise a couple of grand.

Anyway here's hoping I win the Euromillions or something.

You can have all the time you want as long as you commit before March, I phoned for more info this week cos I'm in a similar situation financially but the spread of monthly or quarterly payments would make it achievable for me. The club just need that commitment from us all. When it comes down to it if you want to you will find a way that suits. If you can't, fair enough. But this is singularly the most important scheme we will likely ever be required to choose to join so once we get all the petty arguments out the way it's up to the individual and their circumstances.

• Like 1

I will be signing as will my father. I also hope that most fans that can afford to do so will join.

Imho the timing was just about the worst time of the year - just before and just after Xmas!!! I cannot believe that the powers that be at the club could not have delayed official launch until say February. That said the focus will be the next 2-3 months. I also assume the Directors are participating and hopefully one or two businesses and wealthy fans that go for the top £25,000 package. If that happens then we may just get to the minimum level required. I certainly think that talk of £1m + is fanciful talk......

You can have all the time you want as long as you commit before March, I phoned for more info this week cos I'm in a similar situation financially but the spread of monthly or quarterly payments would make it achievable for me. The club just need that commitment from us all. When it comes down to it if you want to you will find a way that suits. If you can't, fair enough. But this is singularly the most important scheme we will likely ever be required to choose to join so once we get all the petty arguments out the way it's up to the individual and their circumstances.

I have totally misunderstood things :blush: . I feel like a right tit, I didn't receive a letter but I listened to someone, perhaps I shouldn't have, who led me to believe that all money had to be paod for March. In that case I will try to get hold of a pack (I'm sure my nephew has one) and I will be in.

I for one will be applying, in my opinion the club needs and deserves the support from as many of us as possible in what, as SD refers to it, is a bold and brave initiative by them.

Exactly, I can't really affford it but it's too important for this to fail so I'll find the necessary.

We will never raise the required cash. Our fan base is too small and the economy is years away from recovery.

This is the point that has been nagging at me ever since the Well Society was first mooted, I just dont believe we have the fanbase to make this viable.

While I can see the merits of the Society as a whole, it's almost impossible for me to envisage it working in practice.

I hope I'm wrong.

as i said on the other thread it isn't exactly encouraging for fans who are considering joining when they see the club selling players what for they percieve to be cheap prices. the difference in the reported amounts of murphy's and maguire's transfer fees was 150k which is the equivalent of 500 fans investing.

at the meeting i attended the directors said that we were spending 1.8m a year on player wages which could lead to the club losing money if we had a bad season but would be fine if we got top six or a decent cup run. the impression i got from the meeting was that the club was running ok at the moment and the aim of the society was to secure against any problems further down the road.

the existence of the society should lead to improved levels of communication from the boardroom to the support but the club should be starting that now rather than later to encourage people to get on board. at the meeting it was stated that any money invested would be for a rainy day and that they were confident of raising £1m (which far fetched tbh). is that the case or is it not? i can understand why the board would want to put a positive spin on our situation but i would rather know exactly where we stand.

i intend to sort out my membership at the end of this month but i have more doubts now than i did a few weeks ago.

^ I think it is do-able, just not at a time when the world economy is as tits up as it is!

I believe it is viable as well, horrible time to be attempting it no arguments there, but we have to make it work, simple as that. We all saw how folk came together for Well Worth Saving, we really need that kind of togetherness again. For those humming and hawing, it is not an option if the club means anything to you at all just to sit and moan about parts of it you don't like. If we don't make it work the club simply slides until a potentially iffyowner sees a chance to screw a few quid. There is no benefactor for us, it is down to the fans to put up or shut up. This fails I can see a dismal future and I don't wish to endure a finger pointing exercise later blaming each other for it's failure. Let's just make it work and change the bits you don't like from within.

• Like 2

£1m + is totally viable. Every season ticket holder at the entry level is £1.1m. Of course, not everyone can do that, but some can and will buy the higher priced options. Chuck in just a few 1886 members and it's easy to see how this works. You don't have to do it by March, do it when you can or spread the cost as descibed above.

If we all get together and participate at the level or in the way we can afford, this works.