The Well Society

stuwell

Aye. Plus i just think when it comes to effectively giving away money, people should be given the easiest route possible, having to go n post it away gives folk an excuse to put it off.

My guess would be that there might be some legal requirements in play that require the manual form-filling, but I dunno.

as i said on the other thread it isn't exactly encouraging for fans who are considering joining when they see the club selling players what for they percieve to be cheap prices.

I'd say it's exactly the encouragement some fans might need, if we're apparently so strapped for cash that we have to take the first offer that comes in for one of our more valuable assets. If we had an extra £250k+ on tap via the Well Trust funding, we should less desperate to sell.

To be fair to the club, there was never going to be a good time to do this. They are geting criticised for launching this just after Christmas, but what really is the alternative? Wait until the summer when we will have season tickets and potential European jaunts to pay for?

Currently going through the process of buying my first house so cash (or the misses) won't allow me to part with £300 simply to sit in 'Well's bank account. It is a great idea, just not something I'm able to get involved in at the moment. Also (not that I would) but would you be able to sell your share if ye wanted? Or is it pretty much a donation?

At the end of the day, £300 season ticket and another £300 for the society is still a gaping hole that some will simply not be able to afford and or justify to themselves or wifes/dependants. Hopefully there will be enough people who are in a place that they can cover the cost and give the club the investment required.

I just hope we don't see another version of the im a better supporter than you arguament because 'I've got a season ticket/ go to away matches/ have paid into the 'well society!'

I just hope we don't see another version of the im a better supporter than you arguament because 'I've got a season ticket/ go to away matches/ have paid into the 'well society!'

I'd rather not see the argument between fans when the club is dying on it's arse along the lines of "See if c***s like you had got off their arse and bought in to the Society we wouldn't be in this mess" A much more serious scenario than "I'm a better fan...."

Well at least we're now talking about it on here which will hopefully generate some interest (and cash) for the Club.

I think we,ve all had other things on our minds lately on the playing side and the initial enthusiasm has gone a bit cold. (to be honest who has given it much thought since the launch?)

The Club should grasp the nettle here and perhaps organise some more open nights or man an information stand at the next few home games to try and get things going again.

Personally, I think if they allowed a monthly direct debit of £25 over 12 months then I think that would apppeal to a lot more fans rather than £100 or even £50 at a time.

Edit does anyone know if that may already be the case ???

No way I can afford 300 quid before the end of march but I'll be signing up this week to pay in instalments.

Fitba clubs are going out of business all over the country and its happening at an increasing rate so I'm happy to do without some other stuff to guarantee I can still see motherwell in season 2020. Its a small price to pay in the grand scheme.

No brainer.

as i said on the other thread it isn't exactly encouraging for fans who are considering joining when they see the club selling players what for they percieve to be cheap prices. the difference in the reported amounts of murphy's and maguire's transfer fees was 150k which is the equivalent of 500 fans investing.

Its a vicious circle isn't it? The whole point of the cash float is to avoid the need to sell players in January at knock down prices. Some fans are saying that they won't join up because the club is selling players cheaply in January.

My understanding is that the club requires £250k to make the scheme viable - the equivalent of about 850 fans signing up at £300 a time shot and participants can withdraw any time they wish. .

Well at least we're now talking about it on here which will hopefully generate some interest (and cash) for the Club.

I think we,ve all had other things on our minds lately on the playing side and the initial enthusiasm has gone a bit cold. (to be honest who has given it much thought since the launch?)

The Club should grasp the nettle here and perhaps organise some more open nights or man an information stand at the next few home games to try and get things going again.

Personally, I think if they allowed a monthly direct debit of £25 over 12 months then I think that would apppeal to a lot more fans rather than £100 or even £50 at a time.

Edit does anyone know if that may already be the case ???

I would sign up to this no problem.

I am paying up my season ticket and adding £25 a month would be OK.

As people have said, January is a bad month to start anything and at the moment I am rooked.

I still intend to become a member but will have to wait until my finances are a wee bit healthier.

It would be good to get an update on how many have signed up as this might encourage others to invest as well as information stand, open nights etc.

Its a vicious ciircle isn't it? The whole point of the cash float is to avoid the need to sell players in January at knock down prices. Some fans are saying that they won't join up because the club is selling players cheaply in January.

My understanding is that the club requires £250k to make the scheme viable - the equivalent of about 850 fans signing up at £300 a time shot and particiapnst can withdraw any time they wish. .

i thought it was the case that once the society was up and running your money was locked in and you were a member for life?

i understand what you are saying about the need for short term money but the directors didn't present our situation as such at the meetings a few months ago. if they expect people to invest then they should be willing to present relevant information about exactly what we're investing in.

Is the money raised not just an over draft for the club so when we have lean periods the money is there to tide us over. Well that is the way I understood it.

So basically a short term loan at zero percent interest.

The club must pay this money back asap.

If we don't get 250 thousand by the 1st of march then that is it. We will have to sell our assets or not renew some players contracts.

We need spare money in the bank.

Is the money raised not just an over draft for the club so when we have lean periods the money is there to tide us over. Well that is the way I understood it.

So basically a short term loan at zero percent interest.

We need spare money in the bank.

Thats my understanding. I'm 100% certain the Directors made this clear at the launch in the Alona Hotel. I'm sure they said that most clubs, including us, have a lean spell around the turn of the year. There are two ways of plugging that gap

1) sell players during the January window. This isn't the best time to do business as we know to our cost and the club don't like transfers then.

2) use a cash float, which was in the past supplied by John Boyle

At the end of the season the cash float is paid back to the benefactor either JB or the society. Thus the cash float shuttles back and forward. Its not to plug a one off financial black hole.

I like the idea of the Well Society, it is something I have been considering joining - I am still undecided at the present time. Becoming a Dad last June means money is a little tight.

I am pleased to hear the club have reopened avenues of communication and I think another one or two meetings for face to face discussion would be a good idea.

I'm not a season ticket holder, so despite buying the odd away ticket I surprisingly haven't received any communication from the club.

1 main concern - what if I commit £300 but the scheme doesn't take off. I am guessing it is completely non-refundable.

1 suggestion to people interested - Take a look at FC United of Manchester andAFC Wimbledonas examples of what a community club run by supporters can achieve with a good hardcore and dedicated support.

As Dylan once sang 'the -times-they-are-a-changing' and one quick look at the state of Scottish Football sends shivers down my spine.

If Motherwell can gather this hardcore support - and by that I don't mean those that go home and way, I mean those with the club in their hearts; genuine goodwill to the club - the they can survive, ride out the hard times and hopefully flourish in the future.

Selling Fir Park and building a new stadium will be a good and positive start, revitalising the club for the future. I hope we can get that far.

I couldn't get to the first meeting due to work so I do hope that more are announced. A series of weekly meetings would mean that those wanting to come in and spend time talking could do so.

• Like 1

We have done very nicely over the last few seasons and had we not had to rebuild the pitch we would be doing even better interms of finances.

I really hope we can raise the money required. It will be a long time before we the fans could actually claim to own the club but it is a start and we must start somewhere.

To be honest I have had my doubts but I believe this is the safest way for our club to go.

We must avoid what happened when we almost went under.

Yes and I signed up yesterday :nod:

Thats my understanding. I'm 100% certain the Directors made this clear at the launch in the Alona Hotel. I'm sure they said that most clubs, including us, have a lean spell around the turn of the year. There are two ways of plugging that gap

1) sell players during the January window. This isn't the best time to do business as we know to our cost and the club don't like transfers then.

2) use a cash float, which was in the past supplied by John Boyle

At the end of the season the cash float is paid back to the benefactor either JB or the society. Thus the cash float shuttles back and forward. Its not to plug a one off financial black hole.

That is 100% correct Dave!

Matt is also right to point out that the whole sum of membership does not need to be paid in full by March! That is a very important point and worth highlighting again. Commitments can be made and the membership fee can be spread over installments.

Moreover, this is a wonderfully unique opportunity for the fans to actually have a direct say and, eventually, run the club. A club that is not reliant on the goodwill of any one individual but returned to its core supporters and the local community of which it was founded.

The club has set a March deadline to raise a minimum of 250k - which is a demonstrator that the whole project has the buy-in of the supporters and can work as a viable model.

If you haven't done so - check out: http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/the-club/the-well-society/

I like the idea of the Well Society, it is something I have been considering joining - I am still undecided at the present time. Becoming a Dad last June means money is a little tight.

I am pleased to hear the club have reopened avenues of communication and I think another one or two meetings for face to face discussion would be a good idea.

I'm not a season ticket holder, so despite buying the odd away ticket I surprisingly haven't received any communication from the club.

1 main concern - what if I commit £300 but the scheme doesn't take off. I am guessing it is completely non-refundable.

1 suggestion to people interested - Take a look at FC United of Manchester andAFC Wimbledonas examples of what a community club run by supporters can achieve with a good hardcore and dedicated support.

As Dylan once sang 'the -times-they-are-a-changing' and one quick look at the state of Scottish Football sends shivers down my spine.

If Motherwell can gather this hardcore support - and by that I don't mean those that go home and way, I mean those with the club in their hearts; genuine goodwill to the club - the they can survive, ride out the hard times and hopefully flourish in the future.

Selling Fir Park and building a new stadium will be a good and positive start, revitalising the club for the future. I hope we can get that far.

I couldn't get to the first meeting due to work so I do hope that more are announced. A series of weekly meetings would mean that those wanting to come in and spend time talking could do so.

Alison Wallace is who you need to contact although I am sure any member of the office staff will help you. If you contact the club I am sure they will send a well society pack out to you, either that just pop into the chapman building. If we can get past the first hurdle I am sure more will sign up. It is important that we take this chance.

Would be good to have another meeting this month just to clear a few things up for people.

1st of march seems to be the target date for knowing if it is going to work or not. But don't take my word on that.

Sounds like they are looking for peoples commitment by the 1st of march. I am starting to confuse myself.:doh:

1st of march seems to be the target date for knowing if it is going to work or not. But don't take my word on that.

I would have thought that 1st March was a bit quick for a cut off. Maybe the end of April - that would give fans more time to think things out, recover financially from Christmas and commit themselves. If the 1 March is indeed the cut off then the club needs to mount a full scale recruitment drive this month. Home games would seem a perfect opportunity to collar potential recruits.