The Well Society

stuwell

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From BBC

Shouldn't all members be made aware of the situation with our out of contract players? :whistling:

Two Motherwell supporters are relishing the challenge ahead after securing places on the club's board.

Brian McCafferty and Graham Barnstaple, from the Well Society, have raised £400,000 of an intended £1.5m for the club.

The money will be banked to safeguard the long-term future of the Fir Park outfit.

McCafferty told BBC Scotland: "It's a privilege to be voted onto the club board."

He added: "I'm a fanatic Motherwell supporter; I live in north Yorkshire and come up several times a week now.

"Coming to Motherwell, it's not just like a community, it's like a family. I come up and see my family and friends at a football match.

"If you are a supporter of a club and they ask you if you'd like to join the board, you would say yes."

Barnstaple said taking a place on the board would involve changes.

"As Brian said, it's a privilege for me to be part of the board," he said. "I used to be quite active on Twitter, talking about Scottish football in general, I've got to peg back on that.

"People do ask me about the current situation at the club - with players out of contract - and I've got to hedge what I say.

"It's a transformation for me from fan to board member. So there's a different pressure and you understand why we can't sign some of the out-of-contract players and I guess one of our roles is to articulate that to the fans.

"People will look to us, as the society, to represent their views and take that back to them."

So the two if them have raised £400k between them, you'd reckon they could help finance a few new contracts then.

Just out of interest could the society vote to allow some of that money to be spent on a players wage ?

The two of them certainly haven't raised £400,000. The motherwell supporters have raised that money by digging deep. That money was raised before the board members of the society were even board members. That money is the total raised by people joining the society. The press getting things wrong again. Surprise, surprise. The hard work starts now. We need at least another 2 thousand well fans to join up to the well society to get any were near our 1.5 million target. Going to be a big ask indeed. It could well take 5 to 10 years to reach that target in today's financial climate. If you haven't joined, for what ever reason and you can, please do as it is vital to the societes success. Also renewals all add to the pot. Would be interesting to find put out how many Well fans have signed up to the society in the last six month? Probably not a lot.Got to keep the momentum going.

• Like 2

By a simple calculation that means that only 1300 fans have joined the 'Well Society' so far. Come on lads there must be more of ye out there that can find the money from somewhere.

If I can pinch the Child Tax credits for it then, some of ye can can work something similar.

Oh, bugger . . . . . going to have to do it again for my season ticket!!!

1368472104[/url]' post='382528']

By a simple calculation that means that only 1300 fans have joined the 'Well Society' so far. Come on lads there must be more of ye out there that can find the money from somewhere.

If I can pinch the Child Tax credits for it then, some of ye can can work something similar.

Oh, bugger . . . . . going to have to do it again for my season ticket!!!

According to the well society members gallery 1150 members to date. Not bad. The introduction of a payment scheme would certainly help. Think we need some action on this front.

Last I heard, there was talk of introducing corporate memberships. Any update on this?

Saw a few emails talking about that and I think an evening to discuss the options was planned. The idea being that, instead of the one-size-fits-all of 25k, there was going to be different price levels of corporate memberships too (plus installment plans).

The Well Society have ofcourse had a page in the programme for much if not all of the season. Sometimes admittedly I glossed over it, since it appeared to be the same article given it was the same photograph used however, the page in the Ross County programme was clearly new so read it in full as the many achievements and progression of the WS was listed over the previous year. Impressive stuff.

But one of the achievements to date grabbed my attention a bit more than most.

Facilitating a cash injection to the club to alleviate a temporary cash flow shortfall by purchasing 150,000 'A' shares, representing 6% of its share ownership

Did I miss this? Was this actually announced? Perhaps it was in one of those programme articles I didn't properly read. But I thought it might have attracted more comment if it had been known to have happened.

I certainly remember the WS kitty effectively being there as a potential overdraft facility for the club, and am totally comfortable with that. I also remember plenty of debate about the "virtual" overdraft facility the WS could provide.

But that wee snippet tends to suggest a purchase has been made rather than a loan given and that money won't be returned.

Poses a few questions.

What sort of amount be would be required to purchase 6% or 150,000 'A' shares for example?

How much of a dent in the WS kitty has that made?

Are WS members now working towards a target of £1.5m + whatever the cost of that share purchase was for full ownership, or still just that original £1.5m?

Now I don't object to what's been done, I'm sure it would have been done with the best interests of the club at heart, but I think its quite a significant event and might have warranted more of an explanation rather than a wee snippet hidden away in the programme.

Now I don't object to what's been done, I'm sure it would have been done with the best interests of the club at heart, but I think its quite a significant event and might have warranted more of an explanation rather than a wee snippet hidden away in the programme.

Andy, I suspect that this is down to loose use of the word "purchased" or some legal mechanism ie for some reason shares have to be purchased (say for £1.00) rather than given away for nothing. If the shares were being purchased for a substantial sum then it would not be a loan at all. As I understand it the Society funds are ring fenced.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

Saw a few emails talking about that and I think an evening to discuss the options was planned. The idea being that, instead of the one-size-fits-all of 25k, there was going to be different price levels of corporate memberships too (plus installment plans).

There was quite a bit of detail about this scheme in the brochure my dad got with his season ticket renewal stuff (guessing it was probably available at the open day as well?) Forget the details off-hand, but I think there were four levels ranging from £1k - £25k, with the same 9-instalment option that the rest of us have.