The Well Society

stuwell

For those who don't get the emails/aren't members but are interested. Email from today below. 3...2...1...debate!

The Well Society

As you are aware there has been a lot of media comment and speculation since the announcement of the potential transfer of the club into fan ownership. During the next few weeks it is vital that all our members and fans know how we are approaching this chance to own the club. We will do this as openly as possible to get the maximum involvement with everyone who supports the club. With this in mind, we wanted to share with you the three main principles which will guide our negotiations with Les.

They are as follows:

We are excited by the opportunity to become the first SPFL club to become fan owned and want to make this a reality

We need to ensure that the future is protected if we become the main shareholder

We need to ensure that the future of the club is sustainable in the short to medium term i.e the next three years

In reality this means we have a duty to do the following:

Manage cash flow, we need to be what's termed cash neutral based on a 'worst case' scenario effectively budgeting on the provision that we finish tenth in the league, with no cup run or player sales.

We need to build an affordable schedule of repayment for monies that are owed by the club. We cannot take ownership unless we can meet those challenges.

Jim McMahon has agreed to be our Chairman and help during this period. Those of you who know Jim, will be aware of not only his love for the club, but also of his business reputation, he will not allow a deal which does not fulfil the criteria noted above.

Over the next few weeks Jim, and The Well Society with much hard work and diligence will be engaged in bringing the negotiations to conclusion.

We will of course update you through this process, and once again we thank you for your ongoing support and patience.

The Well Society Board

Copyright © 2016 Motherwell Football & Athletic Club Ltd, All rights reserved.

Well Society Member

Our mailing address is:

Motherwell Football & Athletic Club Ltd

Fir Park Street, Motherwell, United Kingdom

Motherwell, Scotland ML1

United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

Sensible and responsible approach outlined. However, I imagine it will take some juggling of figures to prove that we are self sustainable on the worst case scenario while making repayments to LH and matching the ambition of McGhee.

Good that we're planning on a "worst case" scenario. It's the sensible thing to do. I do think, selling a player for north of £500k would go a long, long way to securing the short to medium term future of the club. That's where Moult, Johnson or even Cadden or Hall will come into play, I think.

If you look at the losses the club has made over the last few years, with the exception of last year, the club would have been pushed into profit if it had the benefit of an additonal modest player sale.

I've always been very sceptical of the Well Society, but i'll be setting up a wee direct debit today. If all goes well, i'll review the situation in 12 months and hopefully i'll have scope to stick a bit extra in. It's the only avenue we're going down, so no matter your thoughts, we have to do everything we can to get behind it.

Edit: Direct Debit set-up. Very quick and easy to do through the website.

• Like 3

What will be interesting is how we manage that cash neutral approach going forward if we are successful in selling players.

For example, 5 years down the line with all debts paid off say......we still budget worst case scenario and don't pay more wages than what we 100% know will come in. We sell a player for 500k or get a cup run to a final....how is that extra money reinvested if we don't alter the worst case scenario approach the following season? Do we spread it out over a few 2 year contracts specifically. Technically spending more than worst case but only because we have it in the bank? I wouldn't think we would just save every profit made for a rainy day forever.

What will be interesting is how we manage that cash neutral approach going forward if we are successful in selling players.

For example, 5 years down the line with all debts paid off say......we still budget worst case scenario and don't pay more wages than what we 100% know will come in. We sell a player for 500k or get a cup run to a final....how is that extra money reinvested if we don't alter the worst case scenario approach the following season? Do we spread it out over a few 2 year contracts specifically. Technically spending more than worst case but only because we have it in the bank? I wouldn't think we would just save every profit made for a rainy day forever.

I'd imagine it'd allow us to look higher up our player target list, trying to find ourselves more guys like Moult and Johnson, who required small fees to pick up, in order for a greater return? Alternatively, further investment into facilities and such?

I'd be guessing that once we cover costs and suchlike any player sales will allow us to invest in the team by way of offering better contracts to certain players, or maybe even investing in a transfer fee for a young player we could maybe sell on down the line.

The Society are upping their Twitter profile, 15 folk signed up in past 24 hours, close to 1800 in total, good info.

They've been noticeably more active over the past week or so, good to see.

Through different tweets they've put out I think there has been almost 100 new sign ups and lapsed members setting up direct debits over the last 10 days or so.

They've been noticeably more active over the past week or so, good to see.

Through different tweets they've put out I think there has been almost 100 new sign ups and lapsed members setting up direct debits over the last 10 days or so.

100 folk at possibly £10/month is £12000/year extra going into the society's account! I hope everyone gives the society at least a year to get things going.

This is great news and possibly proves that LH was right to sign the club over early to give us a kick up the arse and get things moving. With a bit of luck more folk will continue to sign up and if the society can avoid upsetting folk then they will keep the direct debits set up for further years. COYW.

Whilst I'd be happy to donate some of my money on a regular basis to the WS - I would be much more confident in doing so if I knew more about how it was being used and more to the point, how it's communicated to the fan base.

How about donating a bit of time to the cause, which in turn leads to a clearer understanding on my part... meaning I'm then able to put my money where my mouth is! The Well Society should be reaching out more for voluntary help from people in business who have a vested interest. There are no doubt a number of people in our ranks (myself included) that could offer help, a critique eye and potential solutions in areas such as: running a business, maintaining an effective P&L, new business development, audience improvement techniques and ATL/BTL marketing.

Whilst I'd be happy to donate some of my money on a regular basis to the WS - I would be much more confident in doing so if I knew more about how it was being used and more to the point, how it's communicated to the fan base.

How about donating a bit of time to the cause, which in turn leads to a clearer understanding on my part... meaning I'm then able to put my money where my mouth is! The Well Society should be reaching out more for voluntary help from people in business who have a vested interest. There are no doubt a number of people in our ranks (myself included) that could offer help, a critique eye and potential solutions in areas such as: running a business, maintaining an effective P&L, new business development, audience improvement techniques and ATL/BTL marketing.

How much detail would you want on expenditure Gaag? Would an annual balance sheet suffice for example? Your other point is well made. Much more use needs to be made of members' time and expertise. This is a great untapped resource but on the other hand its notoriously difficult to get folk involved.

A start would be for the Society to set up and maintain a register of skills. I'm sure with a membership of 1,800 there are a lot of useful skills already within the Society.

That would be lovely job to manage that spreadsheet/database. You should suggest it and volunteer?

• Like 1

I think you could get by without a pricey CRM tool. But regardless, my general point is if people believe they have a skill or suggestion then be pro active and go to the society. Don't just wait for them to come a knocking. A lot of different people in charge now than previously so may be, and I think are, with the new arrangementenants coming up, a bit more open to it.

Perhaps there has to be movement on both "sides". People who have something to bring to the WS table may have to be a bit more forward than they might like in bring their talents to the WS's attention if they have the time available and equally the WS may have to do more to sniff out and covet those with suitable skills.

Reading the last few posts and one recently about local businesses having a "preferred" status actually takes me back to the evening where John Boyle intimated he was going and Dempster gave a loose idea of the vision for going forward.

I recollect that one of the strands of the visions, as I interpreted it anyway, was much the same as is being mooted here. She made the point that it might not all be the about hard cash.

Example.

GAAG IT LTD. are not in a position to assist the Well Society financially however through their expertise can develop the the WS's current IT strategy. WS grateful as they are undoubtedly highlight this assistance regularly by sticking a big GAAG IT LTD logo on their website and a company profile with it that some time later Mr Small Business Owner observes and, knowing of their support of the WS chooses to put his business GAAG's way. GAAG seeing that the clickthrough has originated from the WS and the customer is therefore a fellow 'Well fan triggers the small discount to make the transaction that bit more attractive for Mr Small Business Owner.

The same principle stands however for individual supporters and investors but it's never really come to fruition though. But somehow in tandem with getting the necessary finance on board, if the WS were able to get people on board through providing their skills and acumen that is only going to strengthen the society and the bond between the WS, club and support going forward.

• Like 1

In my opinion as a non member of the WS i think that one of the fundamental problems people have with the WS is thats its perceived as a disorganised shambles re communication, admin, attracting new members etc etc so this may put them off joining. This is not some ad hoc initiative by the club that could be run by volunteers the WS will be the club owners, and as such it needs professional people in place full time to administer it on behalf of the membership. I am not saying that there is no place for volunteers to assist with specific functions but the whole WS organisation needs to be reviewed and put on a more professional basis if they hope to achieve their targets.

• Like 1

Note that Hibs made Pat Stanton an honorary member of the equivilant organisation today. This compliments s number of ex players they have on board to lead the group.

Wonder if we will explore a similar route. Getting ex players on board with 1 or 2 playing an active role would certainly help lift the profile of the cause.