The Well Society

stuwell

Well the Society were originally meant to takeover by the end of April, but i was told at our last home game thats now gonna be the end of May with the way things are going just now, so could be next month for the Q&A.

Thats my understanding. Not expecting any meeting until after the takeover. With us achieving a top six place and transfer sales in prospect that will mean a good more extra cash coming in and that could affect repayment schedules and the likes. No doubt a lot of negotiation is going on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brexit may be tearing apart the political parties, killing the economy, destroying the UK and causing a rise in racist attacks - but on the bright side, my monthly payment to the Society cost me $2 less this month.

So there is that,

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I saw on Twitter last night that the Well Society released a summary of the August board meeting.

Can't link on my phone but if someone else is able to stick up a link it might be interesting to some.

It appears a draft statement has been drawn up, and the final statement being agreed at the moment, which will be released when the share transfer from Les is complete. Indicates it may not be too far away.

• Like 1

Aye, progress right enough. 'Unfortunately due to confidentiality agreements' rears it's head again... 'however we will provide members with an update as soon as we are in a position to do so' Well, if it's handled as eloquently as Les Hutchison's arrival, we're in for a treat.

• Like 1

Aye, progress right enough. 'Unfortunately due to confidentiality agreements' rears it's head again... 'however we will provide members with an update as soon as we are in a position to do so' Well, if it's handled as eloquently as Les Hutchison's arrival, we're in for a treat.

I know what you mean, and it is frustrating, but their hands are tied in this case and it's probably better not to be breaking the law.

Jim McMahon was very clear in saying that any deal would hinge on ensuring a sustainable model that protected Motherwell's long term viability. I'd therefore be surprised if any deal was imminent, unless Les is willing to walk away without getting the bulk of his money back and/or we have a fresh investor.

If im honest im a bit annoyed.

I signed up a few weeks ago and ive had no contact whatsoever from the society.

They appear to have happily taken my money but havent even had the decency to provide me with a welcome email

I nearly deleted mine, the subject was thanks and the sender was Craig Hughes. Didn't recognise the name and thought it may have been spam, Then remembered I had seen Craig Hughes name mentioned on here.

Every mail since has had the well society address on it, but definitely not the way you'd expect to receive a welcoming email.

The update was a load of flannel - told you ZERO of substance.

Did they mention anywhere how much cash in hand we have, for example? Or is that a secret too.

I'm surprised a high rolling taxi driver such as yourself would bother with such trivial amounts. Holiday must be riveting.

• Like 2

Jim McMahon was very clear in saying that any deal would hinge on ensuring a sustainable model that protected Motherwell's long term viability. I'd therefore be surprised if any deal was imminent, unless Les is willing to walk away without getting the bulk of his money back and/or we have a fresh investor.

We seem to be all over the place - the figures I've picked up on, and may well be wrong, are:

That the board suggested a reserve of £1.5 million?

We owe John Boyle £350,000?

We owe Les Hutchison around £700,000?

The Well Society subs are bringing in just over £100,000 a year?

Meanwhile it's suggested that the club is ring-fencing money from fees to re-pay Les Hutchison in particular? although that may be speculation.

And there lies the problem - a lack of clarity. It's as clear as mud.

How much do we have in hand? how much do we need to raise? two simple questions.

Did they mention anywhere how much cash in hand we have, for example? Or is that a secret too.

I'm not entirely certain, but maybe they don't want to publicise to the entire world the financial details of the Society via the website? I've attended meetings in the past and they've been pretty transparent with figures.

Are you a member? I'm sure you can get that information if you are.

Went to agm in May and was a bit dissapointed as to the lack of positivity surrounding the well society coming from the top table particularly as Alan Burrows was on radio a few weeks before telling us what a wonderful opportunity it was for our club . I do however appreciate that Jim McMahon has the club at heart and won't sign up to a deal which would put the club in a dangerous position but I came away from the meeting wondering what Jim was really thinking . Think it's time for some honest and straightforward answers to some fairly straight forward questions like . (1) is this gonna be a good deal for the club (2) does the Mfc board still believe in it (3) are we considering other avenues of this fails and (4) did Les pull out as he felt it was a no goer . Think all society members deserve answers to these questions . I for one am starting to loose patience with the whole well society thing and beginning to seriously wonder if it's going to succeed . At present though and i can speak on behalf of a few members there is no feel good factor whatsoever and more and more people are becoming disgruntled/disillusioned by the day

Went to agm in May and was a bit dissapointed as to the lack of positivity surrounding the well society coming from the top table particularly as Alan Burrows was on radio a few weeks before telling us what a wonderful opportunity it was for our club . I do however appreciate that Jim McMahon has the club at heart and won't sign up to a deal which would put the club in a dangerous position but I came away from the meeting wondering what Jim was really thinking . Think it's time for some honest and straightforward answers to some fairly straight forward questions like . (1) is this gonna be a good deal for the club (2) does the Mfc board still believe in it (3) are we considering other avenues of this fails and (4) did Les pull out as he felt it was a no goer . Think all society members deserve answers to these questions . I for one am starting to loose patience with the whole well society thing and beginning to seriously wonder if it's going to succeed . At present though and i can speak on behalf of a few members there is no feel good factor whatsoever and more and more people are becoming disgruntled/disillusioned by the day

I think I was also at that meeting in May, and I'm sure that McMahon and others at the table were pretty blunt and forthcoming in their answers to any questions put to them. I don't recall any questions being deflected or sidestepped with the exception of the Les Hutchison situation, most likely for legal reasons.

Given your footballing knowledge and substantial wealth, I'm surprised you didn't just buy the club when it was up for sale.

I think I was also at that meeting in May, and I'm sure that McMahon and others at the table were pretty blunt and forthcoming in their answers to any questions put to them. I don't recall any questions being deflected or sidestepped with the exception of the Les Hutchison situation, most likely for legal reasons.

Jim McMahon wasn't at the table at the AGM. I do recall him being the only one as pretty blunt and forthcoming alluded to earlier in this thread, downstairs at the Q&A. Plenty of deflection and going round in circles from the others though...

I do however appreciate that Jim McMahon has the club at heart and won't sign up to a deal which would put the club in a dangerous position but I came away from the meeting wondering what Jim was really thinking . Think it's time for some honest and straightforward answers to some fairly straight forward questions like . (1) is this gonna be a good deal for the club (2) does the Mfc board still believe in it (3) are we considering other avenues of this fails and (4) did Les pull out as he felt it was a no goer . Think all society members deserve answers to these questions .

Jim McMahon certainly does have the club's welfare at heart and woe betide any party that threatens it. As Onthefringes said he wasn't at the AGM but was at the meeting downstairs in the Centenary Suite. He was pretty forthright as he always is.

As for your questions, some remind me of sports journos questions on BBC. 1) If the club, and indeed Society, doesn't think that its a good deal they will not simply not sign up for it end of. Why would they? 2) Very similar to 1). If the MFC Board doesn't believe in it why on earth are they pursuing it? A bit like asking Mark McGhee if he wants to win on Saturday - I doubt if he wants a defeat and would be shocked and very very annoyed if he did. 3) Les is the current owner and as such the ball is in his court, not ours. If the Society bid fails, and I hope it doesn't, he could either wind the club up or put it up for sale to the highest bidder - neither is likely according to what we were told. 4) If it was a no goer pulling out early would only exacerbate his problems as less cash would have been repayed to him.

I'm not entirely certain, but maybe they don't want to publicise to the entire world the financial details of the Society via the website? I've attended meetings in the past and they've been pretty transparent with figures.

Are you a member? I'm sure you can get that information if you are.

Yes I am a member - and yes, I can ask.

I just get the impression that a bit of leadership, a target to aim at, would be a good thing.