The Well Society

stuwell

Neither Erwin or Thomas have done anything to deserve an adverse reaction from our support today. As long as they dont score against us and celebrate in front of the East Stand in Higginbottomesque style, they'll be fine Im sure!

Yeah, I don't really harbour any ill feeling to players who leave us. Erwin I thought should have stayed for himself more than anything. But he got us some cash. Dom went to get first team football which is fair enough.

Erwin should have stayed for us, not himself, after all the support we gave him over his very long term injuries. When he eventually got fit, he played a few months then waved goodbye. A wee bit of loyalty after all we showed him would have been appreciated.

Not that I'd jeer him for it, just didn't sit well with me.

Erwin should have stayed for us, not himself, after all the support we gave him over his very long term injuries. When he eventually got fit, he played a few months then waved goodbye. A wee bit of loyalty after all we showed him would have been appreciated.

Not that I'd jeer him for it, just didn't sit well with me.

Yeah true actually.

On the Well Society....had hospitality today due to being drawn out the hat as a WS member. Great day out. Bravo.

• Like 1

The decent transfer window, wee cup run and decent start to the season feel that bit sweeter as a part owner of the club.

Despite my complaints about a few aspects of the operations, it's been great to be a part of it overall.

If anyone is on the fence about joining, I can highly recommend it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ExilesClub.jpg

A few months ago we announced our intention to launch our Exiles Club – an opt-in initiative aimed at making ‘Well Society members from outwith Scotland feel a part of fan-ownership and connecting them with fellow “exiles” from across the globe.

Having asked for ‘Well fans abroad to get in touch with their suggestions and views, we received a fantastic response from all over the world, discussing the formation of the Exiles Club with Dossers in the likes of Denmark, the United States, Canada, South Africa and Australia to name a few.

We also announced the fantastic news last month that Ally Maxwell had been named our Exiles Club Ambassador, helping where possible to spread the word of the Well Society worldwide.

The Exiles Club takes inspiration from the once well-known Motherwell supporters’ group of the same name which operated a mailing list, newsletter and website in the mid-90s, bringing together many of those who could not attend Fir Park on a regular basis.

Click here for full information: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/09/20/well-society-launches-exiles-club/

• Like 2

So, when you sign up are you supposed to get a confirmation/welcome email of some sort? Other than the PayPal receipt?

Yes. This is a point that's been made before and it's a particular bug bear of mine but, at present, the actual welcome e-mails/letters are sent manually by Craig Hughes at the Well Society. Unfortunately, he's on holiday at the moment, so you should get a proper confirmation/welcome when he returns.

Completely recognise how slightly amateur that sounds and there's no danger folk shouldn't be getting automatic responses to welcome them but, sadly, we're still seemingly operating with the original systems put in place at the beginning (not sure who designed them or why), albeit while working to vastly upgrade things so the admin side is completely fit for purpose.

Basically, as shoddy as it might seem please know that you will get a welcome once Craig returns and that it's something that's been highlighted for improvement ASAP.

No worries, its my job to tell people what's wrong with their stuff, and I'm on holiday, so needed something to whine about. It may be worth having some text on the sign up page to clarify this for the time being.

I think I can help with some of this, and had been speaking to Craig just before he went off, so would be happy to help when he gets back.

• Like 1

So, when you sign up are you supposed to get a confirmation/welcome email of some sort? Other than the PayPal receipt?

I signed up recently with a monthly pledge through PayPal. It took a few weeks, but I did eventually receive a professional looking welcome letter though the post with a certificate, a membership number, and a Well Society lapel pin. Would an earlier email acknowledgement have been nice too? Yes, of course it would, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.

Anyway, now that I have my membership number in my hand I must sign up for the Exiles Club. (I was hoping to get over tonight for an Aberdeen double-header, but business has sadly intervened so it looks like Celtic on 21/10 will be my first game this season.)

Anyway, now that I have my membership number in my hand I must sign up for the Exiles Club. (I was hoping to get over tonight for an Aberdeen double-header, but business has sadly intervened so it looks like Celtic on 21/10 will be my first game this season.)

You'll just have to change that to the semi - final now!

Back on thread topic.

I understood any revenues (under the original plans) were to be used to create an effective slush fund/war chest, that the club could dip into and repay when times were good. In the same way a rich benefactor has deep pockets.

Am I right in assuming that the revenues from subscriptions to the WS are now channelled directly to the club as an additional revenue stream no different to a shirt sponsor or TV money?

It must be worth 70k a season (obviously doubled this year).

Is that the case?

Back on thread topic.

I understood any revenues (under the original plans) were to be used to create an effective slush fund/war chest, that the club could dip into and repay when times were good. In the same way a rich benefactor has deep pockets.

Am I right in assuming that the revenues from subscriptions to the WS are now channelled directly to the club as an additional revenue stream no different to a shirt sponsor or TV money?

It must be worth 70k a season (obviously doubled this year).

Is that the case?

Essentially. The Well Society raises about £110,000 - £120,000 a year at present and, after minor admin costs and other expenses related to the Society itself, the vast majority goes into the club. The original model of an "overdraft" was moved away from a few years ago, and the current model really is the best available option at the moment, in my opinion. The majority of that cash finds its way into the squad and it's no exaggeration to say that six digits going in every year really is the difference between battling relegation and challenging for a top six.

Clubs like Ross County and Partick Thistle have benefactors dipping into their pockets each year to supplement the playing budget. I *think* I'm right in saying the only club who didn't have that last season (with the Well Society being Motherwell's) were Inverness Caledonian Thistle, and down they went. The Well Society is now the equivalent of Roy McGregor or the Weirs basically, and without six digits going in every year, we'd be in a very different position than where we are now.

However, funny you should mention this. I've only just come on to post something up that I think answers the point about having reserves to safeguard the Club in any downturns in the future, while also hopefully being a initiative that might come close to meeting your desire for a tangible attempt to take advantage of the Double Your Money offer.

See next post...

Well-Society-Double.jpg

Over the last few months, we have been asked by a number of our members about the opportunity to purchase shares from The Well Society.

In the past, it is not something that we have been able to offer as we were not majority shareholders and owners of the Club.

Obviously, our position has now changed and we have been investigating the possibility of having a Share Sale whilst, of course, still retaining our majority shareholding position.

We believe that The Well Society`s current model of investing the majority of the funds we receive from members, from pledges and donations, directly into the Club is by far the best approach available at the moment. We believe that the current positivity around the Club and playing squad justifies that belief.

The original concept of The Well Society was to ensure that we have substantial reserves to act as a safety net should anything untoward or unexpected happen to our Club further down the line. By implementing this Share Sale, we intend to not only take full advantage of the Double Your Money offer, but to also build up that substantial reserve to safeguard our Club, whilst maintaining our current commitment to invest a six-digit sum in Motherwell Football Club every year, direct from member pledges and donations. Our original target of raising £1.5m is only half way there.

It’s anticipated that we would release 50,000 shares, at a price of £10 per share, which gives us the potential of raising £500,000. Minimum share purchase would be £50.00.

We believe this is a fantastic opportunity to not only raise revenue, but also to give supporters the chance to own individual shares in the Club. We also see this a great chance to take the current positivity and progress at Fir Park, no better exemplified by the stunning 3-0 quarter-final win over Aberdeen, into the long-term.

We would hope to move quickly on this matter and, as you may be aware, we hold an open surgery within the Centenary Suite on the last Thursday of every other month. Should you have any questions for the Board on this, or indeed any other matter relating to The Well Society, we will be holding our next surgery on the 28th September between 6.30 and 8.30pm.

In the meantime, we are asking for Well Society members with a viewpoint on this proposal to get in touch by completing the short poll below. The Board aim to finalise plans on the Share Sale soon and we are committed to taking Society members’ views into account when proceeding. Our poll will run until 5pm on Thursday 28th September.

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/09/22/share-sale-proposal-lets-build-for-the-future/

• Like 1