The Well Society

stuwell

• 1 month later...

Although the £335,000 raised so far is a teriffic achievement, the fact that we're having to trim the players budget by £4000 per week - equal to £208,000 over the year - shows that much more is needed to keep the club going at its present level.

From memory I think that the initial target was in the region of inexcess of £700,000 (£250,000 was the absolute minimum required to get the society up and running) and I believe this shortfall could be part of the reason for the cut in the budget.

So once again I'd like to urge anyone who can afford it, to think seriously about joining.

Although the £335,000 raised so far is a teriffic achievement, the fact that we're having to trim the players budget by £4000 per week - equal to £208,000 over the year - shows that much more is needed to keep the club going at its present level.

From memory I think that the initial target was in the region of inexcess of £700,000 (£250,000 was the absolute minimum required to get the society up and running) and I believe this shortfall could be part of the reason for the cut in the budget.

So once again I'd like to urge anyone who can afford it, to think seriously about joining.

Do not confuse the Society's funds raised with the player's wage budget.

The funds raised would only be dipped into/used to cover for cashflow problems not as the revenue budget to routinely pay the wages.

Do not confuse the Society's funds raised with the player's wage budget.

The funds raised would only be dipped into/used to cover for cashflow problems not as the revenue budget to routinely pay the wages.

Yes but I believe that when setting out the budget, they would have looked at the reserves, looked at a worst case senario and then set the budget accordingly. ie if the worst case senario was six weeks without gate reciepts and we only have X in reserve then the budget - for players and backroom staff - would have to be X/6 and as such I still believe that the more people signing up then the more we have in reserve and with that the player budget could be increased.

• 3 weeks later...

After a query I made on twitter I got a call from the office, I'm only on the basic membership for now but the stage so far as I understand it is, only a welcome letter and the subscription code for the 12 months membership of MFCtv has been issued so far, and in the short term don't think anything else will be issued.

Seems the lawyers are a bit nervous that until the shares have officially been transferred from JB to the society, that membership cards etc are on hold in case off the unlikely event of it not happening

Staff are quite keen on everyone getting their MFCtv codes and using them, even if you're happy to pay for it as the society is paying out for the codes to the 3rd party

Email address is on official site seem happy to respond to enquiries and definitely want to hear if you havn't got welcome letter or MFCtv code email

Seems the lawyers are a bit nervous that until the shares have officially been transferred from JB to the society, that membership cards etc are on hold in case off the unlikely event of it not happening

Staff are quite keen on everyone getting their MFCtv codes and using them, even if you're happy to pay for it as the society is paying out for the codes to the 3rd party

That seems about right Iain. I believe that a ticket printing machine is on order or has been purchased. Until JB completes the legal formalities then it would be wise not to proceed too fast. It might be helpful though if the club issued a short statement to members to say something along the lines of "membership continues to rise/legal formalities still be confirmed etc etc"

That seems about right Iain. I believe that a ticket printing machine is on order or has been purchased. Until JB completes the legal formalities then it would be wise not to proceed too fast. It might be helpful though if the club issued a short statement to members to say something along the lines of "membership continues to rise/legal formalities still be confirmed etc etc"

I suggested the same during the phone conversation , nothing anywhere indicated things are still ticking along nicely and that membership cards etc will be issued in due course as the legalities get signed off

A short web statement might save personal enquiries and even better a local media piece might refresh some memories that have still to sign up ....

maybe give them a mail. I am happy to keep paying the fiver for well tv but if the club are paying for me to have it through the society i will get it through there.

cheers guys

Is the TV thing even working, whenever I try to log in it just shows an error message.

Is the TV thing even working, whenever I try to log in it just shows an error message.

Working fine here. Gives a rather unhelpful error page when I enter the wrong password by mistake, though, which may be what you're seeing…?

yeah its been working fine for me, you should follow it up fatcalf, not so much going up close season but its better than the coverage you get from the mainstream media, and highlights from most matches and U19s, interviews with staff and players etc, well worth it especially if its free!

edit: they have a help email on the site that usually gets any problems sorted once you get a support geek thats not straight out of the IT crowd

Quick question that has almost certainly been asked before, so apologies in advance.

As I understand it, the money raised by the Well Society to date is some sort of "rainy day" fund. Could some of this not be used to make up part of the shortfall that will materialise without Rangers in the SPL? I'd be more than happy for my membership fee to be used for this purpose if it resulted in the club voting "no to NewCo".

probably yes and no :blink:

I dont think the money is ever going to be used 'in advance' in a budgetary sense to take decisions, which in the past was probably more a no speculate to accumulate policy.

from what I've seen and heard the money will be used in situations like low cash flow, e,g due to fixture scheduling problems where home games are too far apart from either the schedule or cancellations. Or when the club are awaiting SPL/SFA payments which are seemingly towards the end of the season

it would also be used to help work through bad spells when shortfalls occur but the following budget would have to be made to recover the loss and help refund the society to ensure the financial security cushion is ongoing.

Don't think it would be used in advance to cover the budget for a no vote, although I'd be happy to help finance like you, but the club will be taking the potential shortfalls into consideration and if it happens maybe some of the society money will be used to trade out the situation if the budget doesn't already allow for a no vote

Quick question that has almost certainly been asked before, so apologies in advance.

As I understand it, the money raised by the Well Society to date is some sort of "rainy day" fund. Could some of this not be used to make up part of the shortfall that will materialise without Rangers in the SPL? I'd be more than happy for my membership fee to be used for this purpose if it resulted in the club voting "no to NewCo".

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps we should have a poll on this use of our money. I would be certainly happy for my contribution to be used, if it meant the intergrity of our league was upheld and "whatever they are called" were punished as they should be and dropped to the bottom of the pile.

With the recent announcement by the board regarding the newco vote, is there anyone else out there like me who was unsure of putting their money into the club that has now decided to do so?

Or is there anyone who thinks that the announcement will see them buy a membership when they weren't even considering it yesterday?

Just out of interest...

With the recent announcement by the board regarding the newco vote, is there anyone else out there like me who was unsure of putting their money into the club that has now decided to do so?

Or is there anyone who thinks that the announcement will see them buy a membership when they weren't even considering it yesterday?

Just out of interest...

I always thought I'd do it at some point, but the announcement has just made me even more sure of it. I've been looking into it today but unfortunately I don't think I can justify it at the moment, given there's a Champions League trip coming up in just over a month's time.

• 4 weeks later...

Just out of interest...

I think i'll be deciding yes by the end of next week for the £300 steel membership.

i'll also join 'well lotto for year.

the club have done us proud - they have listened & responded well sofar - it's the new deal that worries me - we'll know soon!

• Like 1

Got Steel membership last week just waiting on membership card and details to arrive now. Also joined Well Lotto and everybody in my family is getting Motherwell FC presents for Birthdays and Christmas( whether they like it or not!)

• Like 1