The Well Society

stuwell

Someone was kind enough to offer and my question(s) were forwarded to them. Whither they have submitted them to the WS in advance of the meeting I don't know. I'm not a big fan of them being able to vett or spin an answer in advance.

Fair enough, might have guaranteed it was asked I suppose.

I was hoping to go, so would have asked for you but can't make it unfortunately.

It was a shambles. They dont have a clue what they are talking about, arguing over how many members they needed to secure the future. Wouldnt answer difficult questions because simply they dont know themselves, will never work in a million years

I don't know if that is a universal view. Certainly its not my recollection of events at all.

I'm not a big fan of them being able to vett or spin an answer in advance.

It depends on the purpose and nature of the question. If its quite complex or detailed and its to trick or catch out the panel then yes, you're right - the least warning they can get the better. However if its to elicit an informed, comprehensive and helpful reply then its best to give advanced notice.

A mixed bag for me.

A decent turnout and a mixture of excellent, awkward and at times cringeworthy listening.

McGhee's "half" was very insightful at times. He offered answers and explanations on things like why he has everyone back at corners for example that illustrated the work on shape on individual responsibilities goes to quite a depth. Some interesting thoughts on taking the game forward in Scotland and happy to argue his case and beliefs too against those in the audience who differed which made it a better listen.

As for the Well Society bit. Hmmm...what to take from that section of the evening!?!? I'm sure it was no accident that one of the first things referred to were the part-truths, misinterpretations and misunderstandings that had built up on places like SO over time, but then you listen to last night and it's so easy to see why.

Has anybody ever heard the WS refer to anything less than 2000 members as being required to part demonstrate, alongside the financial element, that the WS has the backing to take over the club? Yet this would now appear to be no more than a target and something to aspire to. The agreement with Les (along with a few other things of course) it seems that is that "1000 active members" are required.

That to me seems like a pretty major change and that's us what? Almost a year down the line, and that's only now being communicated?

Whilst one of the panel was able to advise we had 1600 odd members when pressed there was stumbling and fumbling and an eventual admission that there wasn't actually a definition of what 1000 active members actually meant.

There was much discussed, that at the time of writing I don't have the time to go into but breaking things right down the main thing I took from the evening was that the WS will very shortly have met the conditions set by Les for them to take the club over for the £1 he got it for once the loans due back to him have been paid by the club.

The WS have of course set themselves up to guarantee payment of those loans should the club default on them, but on the basis that everything goes smoothly, the club pay up on time, the WS have satisfied their end of the agreement already.

It now remains a case of building up members and building up the contributions to have the "rainy day" fund in place to cover leaner times if and when the WS do get control.

There was much discussed, that at the time of writing I don't have the time to go into but breaking things right down the main thing I took from the evening was that the WS will very shortly have met the conditions set by Les for them to take the club over for the £1 he got it for once the loans due back to him have been paid by the club.

This gives me the absolute fear at the moment

• Like 1

This gives me the absolute fear at the moment

Why? Is it because you're opposed to fan ownership/would prefer one owner with a personal and clear vision/don't think the Well Society has competent enough individuals to run the club/don't think £1 is a realistic price.

At the moment I don't have any confidence in the WS. I tried to be optimistic with it all but based on stories people have told me I am unsure that they are the correct people to run the football club.

If they prove me wrong, Great. I would be delighted with that.

Maybe if I was able to attend last night my opinion would be slighty different, I'm not sure if that would have been a good or a bad thing though!

Just a quick post but if I understand correctly, the club had 5 years to pay back either £1m or £1.3m to LH and a further approx £300,000 to JB. At the moment they have managed to make the minimum required payments to both and are on course to pay everything back on time as per the agreements without the WS having to pay the loans for the club (although some appear to be saying that the WS has paid the club cash to run things which could be seen as indirectly paying the loan if true)

What I don't know - and this may be down to lack of research - is how many members do we have, (paying or having paid a one off payment), how much has been raised and how much is still in the bank.

Anyone confirm or correct me?

What I don't know - and this may be down to lack of research - is how many members do we have, (paying or having paid a one off payment), how much has been raised and how much is still in the bank.

Anyone confirm or correct me?

The website has a running total, though how accurate or up to date it is I don't know, at the time of me posting it's showing:

Total member 1667

Adult members: 1263 Junior: 404

Again that just reflects membership it obviously doesn't break down what sort of amounts are being pledged or prior to that how much was paid upfront.

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/progress/

I was in attendance last night and came home far from impressed from what was communicated by the 4 being questioned (Feely, McMahon, McCafferty and Dickie). McCafferty for being chairman of both the Well Society and Motherwell FC had very little input which begs the questions if he has the leadership qualities to drive the club and society forward as there has been little in evidence so far that he is the right man for the job. McMahon came across in an arrogant manner and as Andy P pointed out above the question regarding the 'active' members was dealt with by extreme incompetence from all involved.

One of the most worrying aspects of last night is that we still appear to be budgeting for a top 6 finish, selling players and a cup run. They said if we were to budget for 11th place the budget would have to be cut by £1 million. That begs the question where will the club be if finish in 11th with no cup run and no player sales? It's ludicrous that we've signed the likes of Samson, Clarkson, Robinson and Taylor on loan when we should in theory be looking to cut our playing costs and give the youngsters a chance to fulfil our objectives of bringing through and developing young talent as sellable assets down the line.

On a side note I noticed this morning the Well Society have yet to submit accounts for the year ended 30 September 2014. This will incur fines and could potentially lead to the society losing their registration per the FCA rules. The Well Society have to be a lot more transparent if they are going to get the fans on board as it is looking a complete shambles at the moment.