Pettigrew & Ojamaa

Rory Bellows

I didn't realise Willie P's strike rate was that good - 80 goals in 146 appearances sounds impressive by Motherwell standards. If the wee man can replicate anywhere near that, we are on to a winner

Aye, he really does live up to his 'legend' status.

But remember Pettigrew was assisted by Bobby Graham. Not many played could control a ball like him. Didn't matter what speed or angle the ball came to him at one touc and it landed at his feet. However in saying that, pettigrew just knew how to score goals. Just natural ability, instinct can't be coached. I still think he got a raw deal as far as international caps go.

And he was fast. He used to go to athletic competitions with Dalziel high, run in his gutteis and tan the arse off of all the other high school posers with their fancy track suits spikes etc.

Yes but the Saint also went on to have a really good career with Liverpool. Not knocking the legend Willie P but if we're comparing him with St John he falls short IMO.

I think if Wullie P had played in that Liverpool team, he would have also had a really good career.

I think we're getting carried away with ourselves if we think Wullie P was good enough to be playing for one of the big English teams when he was in his Prime. Rangers and Celtic didn't even consider him good enough to make a decent bid for him. For my money Dixie Deans was a better centre forward than Pettigrew. Probably not statistically so in his time with us because he wasn't there long enough before Celtic came calling.