Settle for 3rd or aim for 2nd?

BigColin08

I would be over the moon, absolutely delighted with 3rd. Above that would be third AND snaffling Rangers' CL place.

To outright finish second? I think it is a MASSIVE ask and is a long shot.......but if we pulled it off it would go down as one of our best ever achievements considering we have about the 8th biggest playing budget in the league.

I've said it before but in the future most of us will look on this as a bit of a golden era for the Club. Pretty much all good times since Malpas left in 2007. That is some doing.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about this thread if it had come after a midweek win against Hibs!

I think we should concentrate on consolidating our third position first before we look ahead of ourselves. If we can win midweek and go 12 points clear then I think we should feel comfortable enough about finishing 3rd to look ahead of us. If we don't take the points midweek then it only takes a couple of poor result to feel the pressure again.

Personally I don't see the administrators getting rid of Rangers better players since they are sellable assets and suspect it will a lot of youth players and maybe poorer fringer players that go so in order to finish second I think it will be more down to the attitude of Rangers as much as anything we do. The Kilmarnock result though gives a hint that perhaps moral is low down Ibrox way.

With 11 games to play their is still a lot than can go for or against us. What I think we really need to do is get the heads down, get points out the next few few league matches and if we can do that we have Rangers at our place on the 31st March.

Then we will have a better idea of what the situation is.

Settle for third?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mathematically, we could still finish eighth. Fine, it's not going to happen, but still a reminder that we've achieved nothing yet.

I agree with Wellfan1984. Let's just aim to get as many points as possible and see where we end up. It's been an amazing season so far. Let's see where it takes us...

Exactly. If we concentrate on winning our games as they come along we'll do just fine.

As far as I'm concerned, top six and a decent cup run was the aim at the start of the season. We've moved into a position where top four is likely, and we're looking at a tasty cup tie with Aberdeen.

The season is already a success in my book. Anything more is a bonus.

Top six until it's mathematically impossible to be out of it

Top 4 until it's mathematically impossible to be out of it

3rd Until it's done and dusted.

That's as far as I'm looking and as far as I think we can go.

Over the moon with that though :drinks:

Why we should aim for second!!!

It's worth a load a helluva amount of dosh!!!

You get 15% of the SPL commercial pot for finishing runners up but only 9.5% for third.

Not sure how much it is say its £10m per year.

2ND WOULD POCKET £1.5M

3RD WOULD POCKET £950,0000

if its £20m

£3m compared to £1.9m etc.

Big difference to a club on our income levels!!!

Table below taken from the SPL handbook:

% of Net Commercial Revenues

48.0% 52.0% 100.0%

League Position

1 4.0% 13.0% 17.0%

2 4.0% 11.0% 15.0%

3 4.0% 5.5% 9.5%

4 4.0% 4.5% 8.5%

5 4.0% 4.0% 8.0%

6 4.0% 3.5% 7.5%

7 4.0% 3.0% 7.0%

8 4.0% 2.5% 6.5%

9 4.0% 2.0% 6.0%

10 4.0% 1.5% 5.5%

11 4.0% 1.0% 5.0%

12 4.0% 0.5% 4.5%

48.0% 52.0% 100.0%

Was thinking about that the other day. Sure 2nd place is worth a million more than 3rd! As opposed to 200k difference between 3rd and 4th. Would be a huge payday of we could pull it off.

Aye, it's a massive leap from 2nd to 3rd price money. One of the (many) reasons the SPL is an unfair sporting competition and significantly weighted towards keeping Rangers and Celtic on top.

Agree with AlB, as long as 2nd place is a mathematical possibility that should be our aim. We'd all have been delighted with a 3rd place finish at the beginning of the season, 2nd would be beyond our wildest dreams but the fact that it is within sight should have us pushing for it big time. I believe Saturday has gone a long way to booking 3rd place and a victory over Hibs on Wednesday will virtually seal it. We need to look further, Hearts will certainly drop more points than we do between now and the end of the season, it's possible that Rangers will too, a bit of self belief when we next face Rangers may just swing the chase in our favour.

GO FOR IT!

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about this thread if it had come after a midweek win against Hibs!

I think we should concentrate on consolidating our third position first before we look ahead of ourselves. If we can win midweek and go 12 points clear then I think we should feel comfortable enough about finishing 3rd to look ahead of us. If we don't take the points midweek then it only takes a couple of poor result to feel the pressure again.

Personally I don't see the administrators getting rid of Rangers better players since they are sellable assets and suspect it will a lot of youth players and maybe poorer fringer players that go so in order to finish second I think it will be more down to the attitude of Rangers as much as anything we do. The Kilmarnock result though gives a hint that perhaps moral is low down Ibrox way.

With 11 games to play their is still a lot than can go for or against us. What I think we really need to do is get the heads down, get points out the next few few league matches and if we can do that we have Rangers at our place on the 31st March.

Then we will have a better idea of what the situation is.

Morals have always been low at ibrox.

• Like 1

A good manager will have the team 100% focused on the next game (and only the next game). So from that perspective, the players shouldn't be worry about 2nd or 3rd place. It's all very Zen.

The manager on the other hand should be ensuring he maximises the points we win from every game and let the final position take care of itself.

I think it was different last season, as we didn't have much to play for after the split, so McCall was resting players for the Cup Final. I didn't agree with that approach, but at least he had a plan. With so much at stake this season, I can't imagine a repeat of that even if we do get to another final.

If you're 6 points off 2nd place with a game in hand, and you don't think you can finish 2nd or aren't aiming for it, then competitive sport isn't for you.

12 games left, 8 against teams we have already beaten this season and 2 against a weakened h*n side. lennon might even lie down to us after the split for a laugh.

before the split rangers have ict away, hearts home, united away, celtic home, us away and st mirren home. quite a difficult run of fixtures even before the redundancies start getting made.

Lets go for the jugular. Rangers are a wounded animal and it's our job to put them out their misery. Aim for second. yes.gif

Lets be honest here, Rangers are a wounded animal till the next time they play us and win 4-0/5-0/6-0 to kick their run in off. The administrators are never going to release their assets for free so they will keep Shagger,Wallace,Whittaker,Goian,Davis,Wylde,Aluko,Bocanegra,Edu,Naismith (aye i know he`s injured) till the end of the season, that should me more than enough to finish 2nd.

As Gaag said, top 6 till its settled,then top 4, then go for 3rd which should still be good enough for champions league. The date we need to keep an eye on is March 4th, any CVA must have 28 days notice till it comes into effect and the club leave admin, so if they have no CVA by then,they lose europe