Settle for 3rd or aim for 2nd?

BigColin08

I'm not saying we can't catch rangers or that we shouldnt be aiming for it, just that I'm highly doubtful we'll be able to do it.

They are totally and utterly fucked Gaag.

This week will prove it. I expect a total fire sale. Most players will be shown the door.

There is no way on earth Sally will be able to motivate these guys for the rest of the season - especially considering Europe is a total fucking pipe dream.

Got a bit fed up of reading about Rangers on other forums because of how it all just seems to degenerate into tit for tat. Has it been stated anywhere officially yet which players will be leaving Rangers or even when/how many will be shown the door?

They've beaten us (and thrashed us) on so many occasions with many 'star' players missing so it doesn't really matter who they've got or who is released. At this moment they are a Rangers team without Jellyfish and Naisy and they still have enough to easily beat us again.

Let's concentrate on us, because it is our own players that have let us down against them in the past.

According to wikipedia CL spot would mean a minimum of two european ties whether it be CL3 then CL Playoff or Cl3 then Europa League Play off., A couple games Guaranteed!! At this rate, we need to maintain that gap between us and hearts! What happens between ourselves and Rangers in the meantime can only be a bonus.

Lookin forward to CL football at Fir Park in the SUmmer !!! :thumbup:

At the start of the season, I would have been happy with getting into the top 6. Where we are sitting now in the table, with the 12 point advantage over Hearts, it has to be the immediate aim to consolidate 3rd place. Looking at Hearts/St J/Dundee U performance over the past 26/27 games, I reckon 6 points from the remaining 11 games would be enough to secure 3rd place.

But, 2nd place will feel so much better biggrin.gif

I've been looking into all the possibilities for euro qualification and frankly some level of european competition is guaranteed at this stage which is already enough for me - as far as I'm concerned we can play with total freedom for the rest of the season which can only lead to good things.

If rangers are ruled out of europe and any top 6 team wins the cup - top six is enough for european qualification. There is no way in hell we are finishing this season 7th.

Euro footy should be wrapped up by the end of march and its just a case of sitting back and enjoying the rest of the season, wherever that takes us.

One thing I will say is that this chance we have to finish 2nd is a one time affair - let's give it everything, we may never have it this good again.

*cough* but only for those of a certain age *cough* :thumbup:

Yeah im old enough to remember that far back thanks - that was a totally different era in scottish football wasn't it, Celtic were guff at the time, the league was smaller and we were pretty darn fantastic il grant you. It didn't mean champions league back then did it.

Yeah im old enough to remember that far back thanks - that was a totally different era in scottish football wasn't it, Celtic were guff at the time, the league was smaller and we were pretty darn fantastic il grant you. It didn't mean champions league back then did it.

There wasn't just the chance of finishing 2nd back in 1995, there was the very real possibility of winning the league in 1994 which we bottled big style. Failing to win our last 3 games and eventually losing out by just 5 points with Aberdeen pipping us to 2nd place on the last day after a home defeat to relegated St Johnstone. That was our big chance, finishing 2nd the following year was fantastic placing but in reality there was no real challenge as Rangers were so far ahead. Trouble then was no-one really believed were capable of winning the league that year, which we definitely were. IMO we are just as capable of finishing 2nd this season as we were of being champions that year and itis there for us if really believe in ourselves. I never thought I'd see us with such a massive opportunity again being honest, I pray we don't fuck it up through our own self destruct button again.

There wasn't just the chance of finishing 2nd back in 1995, there was the very real possibility of winning the league in 1994 which we bottled big style. Failing to win our last 3 games and eventually losing out by just 5 points with Aberdeen pipping us to 2nd place on the last day after a home defeat to relegated St Johnstone. That was our big chance, finishing 2nd the following year was fantastic placing but in reality there was no real challenge as Rangers were so far ahead. Trouble then was no-one really believed were capable of winning the league that year, which we definitely were. IMO we are just as capable of finishing 2nd this season as we were of being champions that year and itis there for us if really believe in ourselves. I never thought I'd see us with such a massive opportunity again being honest, I pray we don't fuck it up through our own self destruct button again.

I remember being one of the believers at the time and gutted at that St Johnstone game, was it Billy Dodds who scored? If it wasn't il need to figure out another reason why I've always hated him so much.

This is my point though, I never expected us to be anywhere near as good as that again and, well, we ain't far off it now! So it is a rare chance worth grabbing by the scruff of the neck.

Tynecastle was issues to do with pitch dimensions / angles as far as I'm aware. Fir Park is fully compliant as far as I know

I think You're correct. Tynecastle also had issues with Dressing room sizes and facilities which were not up to CL standard but I'm sure I read that Fir Park would be (sometime during the 07/08 season)

It was only four points, went into last game two point behind but around 15 worse of in goal difference.

We needed to beat St J by a barrel load and hope Rangers lost to Dundee at home be a bis scoreline.

St Johnstone weren't actually relegated at the time they needed a win to give them a chance, they were celebrating at the end thinking they had done enough.

It was only four points, went into last game two point behind but around 15 worse of in goal difference.

We needed to beat St J by a barrel load and hope Rangers lost to Dundee at home be a bis scoreline.

St Johnstone weren't actually relegated at the time they needed a win to give them a chance, they were celebrating at the end thinking they had done enough.

Close enough, 5 more points would have won it then, definitely achievable but we lacked belief going into the final weeks. We lost to Dundee Utd midweek when Rangers were going down at Easter Road, that was the killer, holding on that night would have taken us top I think with 2 games left, away to Raith (which we drew IIRC) then St J on last day. That right? Never a better opportunity

Close enough, 5 more points would have won it then, definitely achievable but we lacked belief going into the final weeks. We lost to Dundee Utd midweek when Rangers were going down at Easter Road, that was the killer, holding on that night would have taken us top I think with 2 games left, away to Raith (which we drew IIRC) then St J on last day. That right? Never a better opportunity

Yes, we were cruising in that game too, I think we were 3-1 up at half time, for a good while it looked like we were going to pull back a fair bit of the goal difference, then Stevie Crawford and Colin Cameron happened.

1994 was without doubt my best year as a Motherwell fan. Even better than 1991 despite the euphoria of winning the cup.

We played some great football and had a real chance of winning the league.

My recollection is that despite blowing a couple of really important games, we were still only 2 points behind Rangers on the last day and still in with a shout. I wont argue with the posts above, but I thought they were away to Hibs on the last day while we had St Johnstone at home? I recall going to the game with a real sense of anticipation that it could still happen if Rangers lost and we won we were champions....SIMPLES!

Was gut wrenching not to even hold up our end of the deal (I think it was Billy Dodds who scored the goal) although it wouldnt have mattered as Rangers won in the end. Fairly sure they score late on as well. To not even finish second just added insult to injury!

Whilst I am really excited about where we will end up this season, I dont think you can compare th quality of the 2 teams. The 1994 squad had real class, remember they scared the sh*** out of Borrusia Dortmund that year. However, I d sense the same snse of togetherness about this lot so we should definitely be aiming high.

We have never experienced Champions League football at this club and may never get the chance again, so lets go for it!