Settle for 3rd or aim for 2nd?

BigColin08

i've never quite worked out hpw they decide home and away games post split. Is there a defined procedure?

Whether you could call it a defined procedure I don't know but there was talk in the past that your placing from the previous season - that being whether you were top six or bottom has a bearing on what you might get this year.

If the same six teams from last season finished top six then I'm sure I've heard it said that, that allows them to balance out the fixtures so you get 19 home and 19 away. It's when one or more of the teams differ then that's where you start getting the imbalance of some getting 20 home games and others 18.

Obviously as Stu says though the very first fixture to be scheduled is the last Old Firm game and everything else thereafter is worked around that.

If the same six teams from last season finished top six then I'm sure I've heard it said that, that allows them to balance out the fixtures so you get 19 home and 19 away. It's when one or more of the teams differ then that's where you start getting the imbalance of some getting 20 home games and others 18.

St J are going to wreck it this year, they will be in there instead of Killie (if things go who they were predicted!)

By the split - we will have played 16 home, 17 away

We "should" be due Celtic home, Rangers away, St J home, Hearts away, United home - i would be very happy with that!!!

Maybe this year with the fact the league has gone, we will see Rangers and Celtic not get their 19/19 split - they are the only ones to ever get this guranteed

should also have mentioned...............

IF we finish second, with the extra revenue that brings £900k, does that mean we can count this as a "player sale" and not actually have to sell anyone?

we've heard recently that there is a profit warning as we havent sold anyone for a few seasons now - surely this would go a long way to help with that!?!?!

I am sure I read somewhere that the club finishing 2nd in the SPL gets £1.5 million while the club finishing 3rd gets £900K so 2nd spot is well worth aiming at. Everyone's assuming Rangers will win their remaining fixtures but as was evident on Saturday against Hearts and a fortnight ago against Kilmarnock that is by no means a given and we play them at FP shortly. I we could win that one.....

Also if we finished 2nd we would be in line for a fair bit of cash from the Champions League excluding any gate monies etc. from games. And even if we fell at the first hurdle of the Champions League we would still go into the Europa League final qualifier for the group stages as a seeded team so more monies to be made that way too - remember if we'd beaten BK Odense we'd have gone into the group stages of the Europa League and been guaranteed a minimum of £2M for that.

Anyway you cut it, if we do manage to get second in the SPL then the club stands to get a significant amount of money.:nod:

Whether you could call it a defined procedure I don't know but there was talk in the past that your placing from the previous season - that being whether you were top six or bottom has a bearing on what you might get this year.

Obviously as Stu says though the very first fixture to be scheduled is the last Old Firm game and everything else thereafter is worked around that.

This being the case should it not be St Johnstone & Killie who end up only getting 18 home games as they are the ones who finished different than predicted? If you are expected to finish in one half of the split & you do end up finishing there then would seem a bit unfair that you are punished due to other teams performing better/worse than predicted.

This being the case should it not be St Johnstone & Killie who end up only getting 18 home games as they are the ones who finished different than predicted? If you are expected to finish in one half of the split & you do end up finishing there then would seem a bit unfair that you are punished due to other teams performing better/worse than predicted.

u would think so but the SPL will work it out in the most illogical fashion possible, that's about the only guarantee.

Does anyone know how much money you get for just getting in to the qualifying round?

Going by the 2010/11 season (all in Euros) - cannot find this seasons!

If we enter the 3rd Quals and go out - we'll get 130K

If Celtic go out in the 3rd Qual they would get 130K plus 200K Euro - so 430K

If we enter the 3rd Quals and qualify for the playoffs we'll get £2.1m If Celtic qualify for the Playoffs they wull also get £2.1m (all clubs in the playoffs get this amount)

We would then receive 90K for entering the Europa League Playoff - Then another £90K (I think if reading this right) if knocked out.

If we make it to the (Europa) Group Stages then

640K for being there + 60K for every completed match (so £360K) = 1m

140K per win and 90K per draw in the group stages.

• Like 2

How much money would we get for finishing 2nd in the league? I'm sure I've read somewhere that theres a big jump from 2nd to 3rd in the prize money.

Diff between 2nd and 3rd is £900k! Given that we dont budget for finishing 3rd, to get second would represent a massive windfall!

March 31st could be so massive in the chase. Are Rangers due to come to Fir Park a third time? You can imagine the wheels in motion to think of an excuse that they don't have to........

Either way I will be very pleased if we make it into the Europa league. Would be a great achievement even more spectacular if we get into the CL obviously but hopefully the players keep their feet on the ground there is still a lot of work to do but I'm sure the gaffer will keep them focused.

Do you know the break down?

Breakdown in statistical terms:

1st - 4% + 13% = 17%

2nd - 4% + 11% = 15%

3rd - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%

4th - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%

5th - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%

6th - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%

7th - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%

8th - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%

9th - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%

10th - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%

11th - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%

12th - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

Last seasons split of prize money:

Rangers......... £2,975,000

Celtic............... £2,625,000

Hearts............. £1,662,500

Dundee Utd... £1,487,500

Kilmarnock..... £1,400,000

Motherwell...... £1,312,250

Inverness........ £1,225,000

St Johnstone.. £1,137,500

Aberdeen........ £1,050,000

Hibs................. £962,500

St Mirren.......... £875,000

Hamilton......... £787,500

Breakdown in statistical terms:

1st - 4% + 13% = 17%

2nd - 4% + 11% = 15%

3rd - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%

4th - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%

5th - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%

6th - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%

7th - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%

8th - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%

9th - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%

10th - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%

11th - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%

12th - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

Last seasons split of prize money:

Rangers......... £2,975,000

Celtic............... £2,625,000

Hearts............. £1,662,500

Dundee Utd... £1,487,500

Kilmarnock..... £1,400,000

Motherwell...... £1,312,250

Inverness........ £1,225,000

St Johnstone.. £1,137,500

Aberdeen........ £1,050,000

Hibs................. £962,500

St Mirren.......... £875,000

Hamilton......... £787,500

Right there is the all the proof you need to see how the old firm have carved the pot to suit themselves. They know they are going to finish 1st & 2nd and thereby only having a 2% difference in their prize money but then it drops a massive 5.5% for finishing 3rd. How can they justify such a difference between 2nd & 3rd when the rest of the league has no more than a 2% difference. You can guarantee if one of them was finishing 3rd regularly that 5.5% difference wouldn't be long in being abolished. Then they bitch & complain that there is no competition in Scottish football :wank:

Just on a side note what part of the above table supports the view that we need a strong old firm for Scottish football to survive?