Settle for 3rd or aim for 2nd?

BigColin08

If we can manage to scrape 2 victories from the Aberdeen and Kilmarnock games we could see ourselves in a great position. Some games for our close rivals coming up could help us.

St Johnstone have some tough ones, St Mirren, hearts and Celtic which could see them drop a few points

hearts with the Hibs derby game, St Johnstone, and aberdeen have 3 tough matches,

Dundee Utd would probably seem to be the one to get closest to us althought hey do play rangers today but followed by games against hibs, dunfermline and aberdeen i don't see them dropping too many points basedon their recent run of form. However having said that aberdeen do seem to be a bit of a bogey team for them having beaten Utd twice already this season.

So C"MON THE WELL lets get into thi sberdeen team and put another 3 points on the board!!!!

we will probably be the only team that can't beat them :wallbash:

Dundee Utd's style (i.e. bruisers that like to lump balls and players) matches up well against Rangers. They are always going to be more successful against that mob.

Dundee Utd's style (i.e. bruisers that like to lump balls and players) matches up well against Rangers. They are always going to be more successful against that mob.

Who were the bruisers in that team today?

Dillon I'll give you... I don't see any others.

the thing is the old firm see us a proper threat and treat us slightly differently to others in the spl. Rangers seem to raise their game, Celtic were ultra cautious last game, althought they probably dont need to. To beat Rangers we need to score first and have the officials on our side for once!!

the thing is the old firm see us a proper threat and treat us slightly differently to others in the spl. Rangers seem to raise their game, Celtic were ultra cautious last game, althought they probably dont need to. To beat Rangers we need to score first and have the officials on our side for once!!

Certainly possible to score first however to have the officials on our side for once is an impossible dream! It would be very easy to think its a conspiracyevilgrin.gif

Breakdown in statistical terms:

1st - 4% + 13% = 17%

2nd - 4% + 11% = 15%

3rd - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%

4th - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%

5th - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%

6th - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%

7th - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%

8th - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%

9th - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%

10th - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%

11th - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%

12th - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

Last seasons split of prize money:

Rangers......... £2,975,000

Celtic............... £2,625,000

Hearts............. £1,662,500

Dundee Utd... £1,487,500

Kilmarnock..... £1,400,000

Motherwell...... £1,312,250

Inverness........ £1,225,000

St Johnstone.. £1,137,500

Aberdeen........ £1,050,000

Hibs................. £962,500

St Mirren.......... £875,000

Hamilton......... £787,500

Right there is the all the proof you need to see how the old firm have carved the pot to suit themselves. They know they are going to finish 1st & 2nd and thereby only having a 2% difference in their prize money but then it drops a massive 5.5% for finishing 3rd. How can they justify such a difference between 2nd & 3rd when the rest of the league has no more than a 2% difference. You can guarantee if one of them was finishing 3rd regularly that 5.5% difference wouldn't be long in being abolished. Then they bitch & complain that there is no competition in Scottish football :wank:

Just on a side note what part of the above table supports the view that we need a strong old firm for Scottish football to survive?

And further proof if it were needed that if we have an opportunity to do so due to Rangers current woes then we need to get rid of the 11-1 voting structure needed to change such things as this!

Well folks, the situation has came to the point where the unavoidable answer to this question must be a resounding AIM FOR SECOND!!!!!!

The usual cop out of "take one game at at time" has finally reached the stage where that philosophy and "aim for second" are one in the same. There is no option now, we MUST aim for second.

We win or draw on Saturday and we are in scond place. Although that only might be for a day but regardless, we are now in the siuation where one game at a time is aiming for second place.

C'mon Ye Well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

If we take anything at all from Kilmarnock this Saturday then we're in second place with 2 games to the split. That is unbelievable, ten point deductions notwithstanding.

In my eyes, it would be madness to think 3rd is a given, but just as careless to rule out finishing second. We're as good as Rangers, albeit we very rarely perform against them, and should be taking them to the wire for second place and the £900,000 difference in prize money. Anything else is defeatist. Killie showed today what a 'diddy' team can achieve. We need to believe!

From a mathematical perspective, worst case scenario would be that St J win there game in hand and go on to win there remaining 8 fixtures. Given that the gap would be 8 points then (8x3-8= 16pts) would bring about = 2/3rd with St J.

So 5 wins and a draw would be the absolute most that we would have to do in the remaining 8 fixtures. Given that it is highly unlikely that St J will win all of there remaining fixtures I would think that something short of this will be enough.

If D Utd turn out to be the main challengers again winning all of there remaining fixtures then it is 4 wins and a draw. Remember this is worst case scenario. I would suspect that 5 wins and a draw would be enough for 2nd given the current form of Rangers. Those figures will only get better with ever pt St J and Utd drop.

For all the talk of finishing second has been 'banned' I bet yir boots Stuart McCall has it firmly in his sights. What is said to the media and what is said in the dressing room are sometimes very different. We are going for 2nd, I have no doubts, I just hope the age old lack of belief doesn't cost us, we are good enough no question and I think most of the support believe in the team as well. That £900K could set our club up for a good few years on it's own never mind the Champions League money. So it would be foolish not to go for it all out, we simply have to. The consolation of third place would have been everyones perfect scenario until recently so we have nothing to lose.

I'm still not sure what 'going for 2nd' means. It was obviously a special case post-split last year where McCall believed that keeping players fresh for the cup final was more important.

This season he is sending out teams to win as many points as possible each week. Keep doing that and the league position will take care of itself.

ok here I go diving into the realms of fantasy but I'm a Mothrewell fan, what do you expect??

With upcoming games we have a chance to go into the post split fixtures 6 points ahead of Rangers. The post split games would then be a chance to widen that gap. Would love to finish up more than 10 points ahead of them :cheers:

But more than willing to take any amount ahead of them!

• Like 1

I'm still not sure what 'going for 2nd' means. It was obviously a special case post-split last year where McCall believed that keeping players fresh for the cup final was more important.

This season he is sending out teams to win as many points as possible each week. Keep doing that and the league position will take care of itself.

I agree with that weeyin. :thumbup:

ok here I go diving into the realms of fantasy but I'm a Mothrewell fan, what do you expect??

With upcoming games we have a chance to go into the post split fixtures 6 points ahead of Rangers. The post split games would then be a chance to widen that gap. Would love to finish up more than 10 points ahead of them :cheers:

But more than willing to take any amount ahead of them!

I'll take 1 :thumbup: although goal difference would be sweet, unlikely but sweet.

We have 3 very winnable games left before the split, maximum return from these would see us go into the last 5 games at least 8 points in front of the 4th placed team (assuming StJ win all their games which is unlikely as they play Celtic at Parkhead the day after we play rangers)

So if we have a lead of 8 or 11 points going into the split we are sorted, finishing Second would be great but 3rd gets the champions league spot and thats what we need to secure 1st.

That £900k difference for second place would meam such a huge difference to our prospects next season. We must do everything in our power to get it. Fairly sure the manager and Chief Executive will have discussed this at length!

Not to mention it will also be £900k less in Rangers coffers. A £1.8 mill difference between us and them next season would be huge......if they're still in the league!