The Champions League Discussion Thread

sbcmfc

With us looking really good for 3rd, and it looking unlikely rangers will sort out there mess for 31st march, I've been getting a bit carried away, and looked up the draw we could get in the champions league qualifiers.

We wouldl enter in the 3rd qualifying round (of 4), and will play 1 of 9 non champions, all look pretty strong.

Dutch runner up

Psv, Az, heerenveen, twente, feyenoord, Ajax

Portuguese 3rd place

Benfica, Porto, braga, maritimo, sporting Lisbon

Russian runner up

....Moscow

Ukrainian runner up

Dynamo Kiev, shakhtar Donetsk

Turkish runner up

Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, besiktas

Greek play off winner

Panathinaikos, olympiakos, paok, aek Athens

Danish runner up

Belgian runner up

Anderlecht, Brugge, liege, genk

Romanian runner up

Dynamo, steau or rapid Bucharest, cluj.

Presuming it's a seeded draw, we would get one of the better teams amongst that lot, which is quite exciting.

The bad news is, we'll probably get pumped, the good news is, you drop into the Europa league play off round.

Presuming it's seeded, you're probably looking at Dutch, Greek, Turkish, Russian, ukranian or Portuguese team.

Motherwell, Danish team, Romanian team and Belgians are likely to be non seeds, I'd think.

I'll go back and get all the teams coefficients when the picture is a bit clearer, if we are still in contention.

Bit of confusion. If we get beat in this champions league qualifier, where do we drop into? sbcmfc stated its a Europa league qualifier but Lobey states it's europa league group stages?

Loving the sounds of this! If we get champions league lets just hope we don't get Russia.

Bit of confusion. If we get beat in this champions league qualifier, where do we drop into? sbcmfc stated its a Europa league qualifier but Lobey states it's europa league group stages?

Loving the sounds of this! If we get champions league lets just hope we don't get Russia.

if we get through the Champion League 3rd Q we go into the champions league Playoff round (the next round being the group stage)

if we get eliminated at the Q3 stage we drop into the Europa playoff round (again last stage before group). However the big plus is we would be seeded for this round, which has been our undoing in our recent history as we never had this privilege before and came across Nancy, Steaua & Odense

if we get eliminated at the PO stage we drop straight into the group stage. yeeehaa!

and if we get through the play-off round i don't think ill stop smiling for about 6 months (until we get a few double digit humpings)

but a share of, or all of £10M TV money would be amazing for our club!

I can dream

these 2 sites are invaluable

http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2012-13-uefa-access-list.pdf

and

( 1/3 of the way down under >>> League coefficient >>> Current Ranking )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

• Like 2

You do realise to get in the actual champions league proper, we'd need to beat TWO of the teams I listed at the start or 1 plus a 3rd/4th place team from la liga, serie A, bundesliga, england or the likes?

:lol:

I'd settte for a pumping somewhere accessible by easyjet, and maybe a winnable Europa league PO.

if we get eliminated at the Q3 stage we drop into the Europa playoff round (again last stage before group). However the big plus is we would be seeded for this round, which has been our undoing in our recent history as we never had this privilege before and came across Nancy, Steaua & Odense

Are we sure about this?

For example, Shamrock Rovers followed the same route and were not seeded.

Nothing wrong with dreaming about this. Espicially when the dream has a good chance of becoming reality. :thumbup:

It must be fucking boring when your team is sitting clear in 3rd and looking good for Champions League football, and yet you still don't dream or talk about it in case it doesn't actually happen.

It's pretty much all we talked about before and after the game yesterday and even if it all goes tits up and we don't make it, I'd still rather have the excitable chats about how to get to deepest, darkest Russia for a Champions League match than reminding everyone else that it might not happen.

• Like 2

that would be good but i don't think that's how it works. looking at this year's tournaments fc vaslui of romania were in the non champions CL round 3 and dropped into the europa play off leg where they were unseeded.

It must be fucking boring when your team is sitting clear in 3rd and looking good for Champions League football, and yet you still don't dream or talk about it in case it doesn't actually happen.

It's pretty much all we talked about before and after the game yesterday and even if it all goes tits up and we don't make it, I'd still rather have the excitable chats about how to get to deepest, darkest Russia for a Champions League match than reminding everyone else that it might not happen.

Exactly, the mentality of " If you talk about it wont happen" is bollocks to me.We wont ever have a better chance . So lets dream about it, lets talk about and lets wind everyone up that it will happen. I cant remember enjoying a season so much,even in the cup winning season it was only at the turn of the year we strung some excellent results together.So until it can't happen,lets show eveyone we believe it will. I will stake money on that in a couple of months we have a Nancyesque thread on how season ticket holders deserve a champions league qualifier ticket before other people etc :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...